View Poll Results: Would you work in a career that is slowly detrimental to your health?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

1 11.11%
  • no

5 55.56%
  • depends on the circumstances,please explain

3 33.33%

Thread: Would You Continue in a Career That is Slowly Detrimental to Your Health?

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts

Would You Continue in a Career That is Slowly Detrimental to Your Health?

The question is simple would work at a career that is slowly killing you? Lets say it in a factory with fumes or a job that has high levels of stress. Stress being a severe health risk. Or it could be a job that has a lot of repetitive motions that could cause tendon damage or joint damage.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 12:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    To some degree, this applies to just about every kind of work. What's interesting is why some people who have done the same kind of work end up living much longer than others. Why? Should people not enter a field because there is a greater risk of a shorter lifespan but without really knowing how they will fare in relation to the average worker? The thing is, does one really want to live life basing one's decisions on unknowns? Wouldn't it be better to commit oneself to something and giving it 100% effort and, if one dies in the process, so be it; but if one survives to an old age, there is a certain pride and contentment that one has for having done one's duty, so to speak. There are many men out there who work dangerous jobs and in poor conditions, fully knowing the risks and consequences; where would we be as a society without them, if they were more concerned about not getting black lung, losing life or limb? That said, I think many high stress jobs, being employed in law firms, corporations, sales, etc. is not real work; the work environment is artificial, negative and corrupting. I have never been interested in this work and have always avoided getting ensnared in it.

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    Good questions.

To take into consideration also the above answer, I think doing something one really hates, in generally, is detrimental to one's health. If someone is doing a job which presents high risks, but if that person has the power to find joy in it, or maybe that person really enjoys doing it, I think this makes it less dangerous and less detrimental to their health.

I once read an article about what kind of jobs do the healthiest and happiest people, and on one of the first places in the top was the construction work, with the respondents saying that they love to be outside while working. That can be quite a dangerous job...

Yes, stress levels are higher nowadays is most jobs... but if someone enjoys what they are doing, I think it compensates with the stress level.

Is there any job today which doesn't have any stress involved at all? I don't think so...

Personally, I stopped many times doing jobs which were obviously detrimental to my health, with all the consequences of this. And I am glad I acted in this way, quitting the jobs which were putting my health in danger.

Sometimes it's not only about the job itself, but also about the work conditions, about the employers, about the general work environment, including one's colleagues.
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.