Poll: Should Skadi also ban religious avatars?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ban Religious Avatars?

Last Online
    Friday, January 25th, 2019 @ 12:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Religion
    My religious ways are odd.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think it would be a stupid to take away religious symbols. Thats the same sort of crap the government is trying to do and it's taking away a freedom of expression.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 8th, 2010 @ 02:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavaria (father) Norway(mother)
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    seperated
    Occupation
    renovations
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Deciple of Jesus
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Some people who use Charlemagne, a guy named Lothar and a guy named Devin something had a Christian profile, although the last one seems to have removed it.

Since when are avatars a form of speech?
    since you have not read about why I chose my avatar, I submit this link to another Skadi page about our avatars, my avatar is of a German King that was the origin of my Fathers name.
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=77907&page=55

I often wonder where you think pagans would be without German Christians like Martin Luther who brought about the Protestant Reformation. how would the world have turned out if the Catholic church still wielded the power they once had.
    Might make a good movie

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 @ 02:32 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway and Germany
    Subrace
    Scando nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Nordland Nordland
    Høvding
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Norse gods customs culture
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not all, just arab and jew religions

Just ban the jew and arab religions:

Christians
    Muslims
    Judaism
    Etc

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, October 30th, 2010 @ 02:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Caribbean/westerner
    Ancestry
    German,Italian, swedish, English,
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    music
    Politics
    A political
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well most people vote against such a notion. this is good to see that such extreme censorship is not popular opinion here

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    I saw some members sporting Christian symbolism and figures in their avatars which is offensive to real Germanics because of the history of slaughter done against them by Christians. Political avatars are apparently not allowed, so why should Christians be allowed to use their profiles for religious preaching and propaganda? How is it more tolerable than political propaganda?
    As an Asatruar I can see the dark spots of Christianity, believe me. But the other truth is that Christianity played a major role in European history, it´s a part of our culture and a legacy of most of our ancestors - if you like it or not. In times like this we can´t pick allies. I consider proud Germanics as allies, regardless of their religious heathen, atheist or christian orientation. All what matters is that they share our goals of Germanic preservation. Over the centuries, Christianity became a part of our culture. Do I support it? No. Do I acknowledge the fact? Yes. Anything else would be like ignoring reality.

Religious avatars won't be banned unless they are clearly hostile against our Germanic orientation. Which automatically bans insignias of Islam or Judaism, for example.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    mainly UP
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Natural Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    As an Asatruar I can see the dark spots of Christianity, believe me. But the other truth is that Christianity played a major role in European history, it´s a part of our culture and a legacy of most of our ancestors - if you like it or not. In times like this we can´t pick allies. I consider proud Germanics as allies, regardless of their religious heathen, atheist or christian orientation. All what matters is that they share our goals of Germanic preservation. Over the centuries, Christianity became a part of our culture. Do I support it? No. Do I acknowledge the fact? Yes. Anything else would be like ignoring reality.
    The dark spots aren't in dispute as an absolute. But I've seen some claims being made concerning the Christianization of Europe that are simply ridiculous. One narrative is that our Germanic ancestor generally became Christians by being forced to adapt or die, by the sword, through torture and the like. There is no historicity to that kind of narratives. The fact is that prominent members of Germanic societies decided to become Christians and others followed their example with the rest of the population following slowly via emulation and adaption. There may have been scenes were coercion was involved, but often this was rather the result of power struggles between faction who may loosely be define along religious lines.
    So far my five cent to this. I'm just making a point that there is a problem with trying to pick a fight using dumb lines of arguments "We were persecuted, tortured and killed by those evil Christians" that aren't founded in reality either (Trying to gain sympathy for neo-Pagans and against anything Christian). These are typically rhetorical devices used by Jews to swing sympathy in their favor and they are unworthy to Germanics of whatever religious conviction or orientation. Said that I don't want to debate Christianity or Christianization here, since there are already numerous threads doing that. The issue is just dealing with silly types of arguments and not those specific subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Religious avatars won't be banned unless they are clearly hostile against our Germanic orientation. Which automatically bans insignias of Islam or Judaism, for example.
    ... And I think we should keep it that way.
    I've got definitely a problem with attempts to try to transform a cultural/political forum like Skadi into the exclusive platform for certain sects. The problem isn't unfamiliar to me, since I know of some Afrikaans-speaking forums were attempts were made to make those forums platforms for certain Christian or even Israelism-sects. In that case I was actually in favor of banning religion completely on those forums, since the subject got dragged into any debate however far it may have been moved from theological themes.
    "And God proclaims as a first principle to the rulers, and above all else, that there is nothing which they should so anxiously guard, or of which they are to be such good guardians, as of the purity of the race. They should observe what elements mingle in their offspring;..." Plato Politeia

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 @ 02:32 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway and Germany
    Subrace
    Scando nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Nordland Nordland
    Høvding
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Norse gods customs culture
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

BS all over the place

Christianity has always been and will always remain an instrument of power, to control idiots. Islam is developed further. Islam is a better system, and the latest, in which the last vestige of freedom in man is taken away. Christianity is lost, they simply added the road ready for Islam. Anyone who thinks otherwise is totally idiots. Christianity has introduced shit in all our countries, this is used by Islam to establish itself permanently.

One can not accept a completely ridiculous goofy imposed religion, created by Jews and Arabs, just because Christianity has a "history" in Europe ...

My ancestors said: "Å være vinglete er verre en alt"

Christianity is 100 % anti germanic, for sure.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 12:20 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    The problem is that this is sort of a contradiction on our part, however you look at it. Say someone wants to have an Islamic symbol for an avatar. It is evident that Islam has always proven to be a dangerous threat to our people, but should we get iffy and ban religious symbols over that, even though we have the Gods-given right to that freedom to do so? This forum stands for Germanic freedom -- however you view that ideology. Is it in our right and freedom (as Germanic folk living in a Germanic society) to be members of foreign religions?

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts
    The old slogan of the forum was about "Germanic Racial, Spiritual and Cultural Preservation". Spiritual Preservation has, at least nominally, a big part of concern at Skadi, and I would be happy if people were more disposed to contribute to those sections constructively, but you can't have everything.

Certainly, considering our overall orientation, I disbelieve in banning religious avatars or signatures unless they would be generally considered overall offensive to Germanics. An avatar of Charlemagne is arguably offensive to us Heathens, but we have thick skin. We accept that besides his shenanigans, he was arguably a good example of a Germanic Emperor and thus accept if people wish to emulate him.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast