German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Childrens Author Admits Cocaine Addiction

Robert Munsch has sold over 30 million books, and God knows how many children have read his books via the library, books bought at thrift stores, garage sales, borrowed from friends, etc. Among his books like The Paper Bag Princess, "acclaimed by feminists" and endorsed by NOW, Smelly Socks, and Love You Forever, one of the best-selling books in childrens literature. Well, for much of this time he has apparently been deceiving people by hiding a cocaine addiction, among other issues. While many have been praising him for finally admitting his "illness," to me this exemplifies how children in our society are being subtly corrupted by sick, deviant people.

For more than 30 years, Robert Munsch has fascinated young readers with his unique stories that have made his books staples of any child's library.

But it is his latest story, one of admission to cocaine and alcohol addictions, that has become the most shocking and captivating one, a story not intended for his young "Munschkin" fans.

In a message titled "Note to Parents" posted on his website, the bestselling author admits he's been diagnosed as obsessive-compulsive and manic-depressive.

"Those challenges have led me to make some big mistakes," Munch says, without providing further details.

But in an interview with Global Television aired Saturday, Munsch admitted he is a recovering cocaine addict and alcoholic, adding he has been clean for about four months.

In his note to parents, Munsch, 64, wrote that his mental health and addiction problems are not a secret to his friends and family.
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...810365#article

Last Online
    Friday, September 18th, 2020 @ 05:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Sure, there are a lot of depraved, vile people in the world. But, hey... although I haven't read any of his books, I wouldn't go out of my way to cast any judgment on this guy. Especially since...

Munsch admitted he is a recovering cocaine addict and alcoholic, adding he has been clean for about four months.
    I'd be more concerned if he wasn't trying to fight it.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I don't know. The guy sold 30 million books before he finally decided to admit that he had a problem and seek help for it.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 7th, 2020 @ 01:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Austrian+Serbian
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Nordid
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Freiheit für Süd-Tirol
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardisten View Post
    I don't know. The guy sold 30 million books before he finally decided to admit that he had a problem and seek help for it.
    On wikipedia it states that he admits to having bipolar disorder, so there was an underlying mood disorder present, which is common in addiction.

My mom used to read me his book Love You Forever, that's a children's classic. In my opinion, his stories seem more appropriate for kids than the stories in Der Struwwelpeter, which are pretty morbid. The issue with drugs and mood disorders is another thing. Show me a person without some sort of mood disorder, at least at one time in their life (especially in our modern society), it's literally impossible. It doesn't negate the positive aspects of a person's character.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Unless you can prove to me that somebody was putting a gun to his head and forcing him to take cocaine for the last thirty years, then I'll feel sorry for him. I'll agree with you, though, in terms of "mood disorders" to a certain extent, but in the end we, as humans, have the ability to decide between right and wrong behavior. For the last 30 years, he chose to take drugs; for the last 30 years, he willfully deceived people. At the very least he could have said to himself that his lifestyle was incompatible with being the author of childrens books.