Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Hawking Warns Over Contact with Alien Beings

  1. #11
    Senior Member Devin De Blois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Friday, February 25th, 2011 @ 04:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    WASP
    Ancestry
    England, France, and Germany
    Subrace
    WASP
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Gender
    Occupation
    driver and clerk
    Politics
    Conservative WASP
    Religion
    WASP-Baptist
    Posts
    122
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, but I'm speaking in terms of light speed travel, gravity, etc. For example, if you were traveling at the speed of light and your ship was impacted by a piece of debris the size of a grain of sand it would cause an explosion vastly larger than any nuclear weapon we've ever been able to create. Also, because of g forces associated with light speed travel you'd have to create a Star Trek-like inertial dampener in order to not be squished into a puddle of goo when you accelerate to light speed or very gradually increase your speed, which would probably take too long I would think. So, you can see the technological difficulties than any intelligent lifeform would have to overcome for long range space travel. Creating an interstellar spaceship is a much different proposition than simply creating a faster or larger boat or an airplane.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    The Australian aborigines would have thought they were safe because of the impossibility (in their minds) of crossing the oceans let alone the skys . Even if they could have imagined such technologies they would have had no conception within their culture of why anyone would want to mount an invasion anyway.
    Last edited by Stormraaf; Saturday, May 15th, 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: mockery
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/Sabdude/RoyalStandardFlagAngloNormanKings.png

  2. #12
    Senior Member Segestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    Saturday, December 22nd, 2018 @ 08:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Gender
    Age
    64
    Politics
    White Imperialist
    Posts
    109
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A species with enough technological know how to reach distant planets , would have already mastered the art of nano-technology. The ability to create anything from the atomic level. They would send machines into space that have AI and are self replicating devices. These machine could be advanced enough to even build in an instant creatures that may or may not be biologic , but synthetic materials I would think would be far easier to build with than biology at least as we know it, with blood and a flowing system.
    At any rate what ever species or self replicating machine came to earth they would be entering a realm of spiritual forces they may or may not allow such contact with humans , as this world is our adventure or theater so to speak. Mr. Hawking I suspect is on another agenda or just isn't thinking clearly.

  3. #13
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    The Horned God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Family
    Single adult
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin De Blois View Post
    Also, because of g forces associated with light speed travel you'd have to create a Star Trek-like inertial dampener in order to not be squished into a puddle of goo when you accelerate to light speed or very gradually increase your speed, which would probably take too long I would think.
    I'm not so pessimistic about the possibility of interstellar travel. However any conjecture that can be proposed today regarding space travel can only be based on the current limited understanding of the laws of physics.

    Our understanding of the laws of physics has changed radically in the last 150 years. A civilisation that is thousands of years older than ours is would surely have a far more in-depth understanding of the laws of physics and of space travel than we currently do.

    I suspect we could no more usefully discuss the technology of such a civilisation than two cavemen could understand the workings of a jet engine.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Devin De Blois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Friday, February 25th, 2011 @ 04:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    WASP
    Ancestry
    England, France, and Germany
    Subrace
    WASP
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Gender
    Occupation
    driver and clerk
    Politics
    Conservative WASP
    Religion
    WASP-Baptist
    Posts
    122
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not pessimistic about space travel but just realistic, and don't attribute pessimism to me about interstellar travel just because I'm attempting to reason about the realities of space travel and physics. I'd sooner accept the reasoning and logic of Stephen Hawking concerning physics, space travel and the plausible outcome of contact with an alien race than anyone on this board.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    I'm not so pessimistic about the possibility of interstellar travel. However any conjecture that can be proposed today regarding space travel can only be based on the current limited understanding of the laws of physics.

    Our understanding of the laws of physics has changed radically in the last 150 years. A civilisation that is thousands of years older than ours is would surely have a far more in-depth understanding of the laws of physics and of space travel than we currently do.

    I suspect we could no more usefully discuss the technology of such a civilisation than two cavemen could understand the workings of a jet engine.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/Sabdude/RoyalStandardFlagAngloNormanKings.png

  5. #15
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Mouse Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Ancestry
    England
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Queensland Queensland
    Location
    Not here anymore
    Gender
    Occupation
    Has Left Skadi
    Politics
    Has Left Skadi
    Religion
    Has Left Skadi
    Posts
    424
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm in agreeance with the technocrats. In so far as any alien race that can meld space must be quite capable of building virtually anything, including genetic creations, or food or other wonder. By physics, it takes a lot of energy to relocate any object over distance, even more at parsec distance. So one would assume that to do such a thing they would be in command of almost unlimitled power. Power plus learning-science equals near god-hood.

    So, would bald, pink, yellow and brown monkeys stuck on a fragile rock in the middle of nowhere pose any threat to such a master alien travellers? Hardly.

    Resources can be taken from any number of billions of worlds in our system, trillions more in our local area, unlimited beyond that.

    I'd be more worried of a disgruntled chook in a battery farm gaining sentience than Hawking's 'V' fantasy.

    And for the record Hawking, Black Holes don't exist!!! YOU TARD-ENBURGER!!! Man I can't believe they pay people to search for movie rubbish!

  6. #16
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    The Horned God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Family
    Single adult
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin De Blois View Post
    I'm not pessimistic about space travel but just realistic, and don't attribute pessimism to me about interstellar travel just because I'm attempting to reason about the realities of space travel and physics.
    If you think that a civilisation thousands of years older than ours couldn't possibly cross interstellar space because the distances are too great then I think you are mistaken. In fact if there are other technological civilisations out there in the galaxy, I doubt there are many of them that couldn't do it, providing they have survived just a few thousand years longer than we have.



    The main problem with interstellar travel is the energy required to do it. To accelerate a 1kg mass to something like 10-20% of the speed of light would require about 60 gigawatts of power acting on it for about 3 months. 60 gigawatts is the output of 15 large power stations. Btw, the entire electrical capacity of the U.S is about 800 gigawatts.

    However there is a much greater power source no so very far away; The Sun. Harnessing a large fraction of the output of the sun would require a level of technological advancement much greater than ours, but not unimaginably so. It really only requires a space-fairing civilisation with the ability to mine asteroids and perform manufacturing in space. For example one large 200km steroid would contain enough Iron and precious metals to meet the earth's requirements for a thousand years at current demand. These asteroids could, in theory, be formed into solar collectors.

    The Suns output is about 386 million billion gigawatts. A civilisation that could capture an appreciable fraction of the output of its sun (using space based solar panels or what have you) could probably find a few million or so giga watts left over for space travel. They might even be able to muster as much as a million billion Gigawatts (still only 1/386th of the suns total output).

    With that kind of power at their disposal they could send deathstar sized space stations outward from their star in all directions at respectable fractions of the speed of light, if they wanted to.

    But perhaps they don't even need to send such large ships. Perhaps they only need to send something the size of a grain of sand. They might send something like a genetically engineered "fungal spore" which is capable of replicating and transforming itself into anything that is required upon reaching it's destination.


    I'd sooner accept the reasoning and logic of Stephen Hawking concerning physics, space travel and the plausible outcome of contact with an alien race than anyone on this board.
    I think when it comes to what an advanced race of aliens might or might not choose to do everyone's opinion is valid and there are no experts, not even Stephan Hawking.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

  7. #17
    Senior Member velvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    20 Hours Ago @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Gender
    Age
    45
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Posts
    4,881
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,176
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,277
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse Shadow
    Black Holes don't exist!!!
    I think you're wrong here. Black Holes do exist, in fact, black holes are a requirement to form galaxies. Those who dont have one, are galaxies without planets or solar systems, where only gas / red giants and white dwarfs generate the gravity needed to keep the galaxy together. Also they are dissolving, they are driven apart by the acceleration of the universe's expanding energy and eventually will spread their matter suddenly into the neighboring galaxies when the red giant become a supernovae or it will slowly drift away to others when the white dwarf dies.

    There are much more wonders out there still to explore, but theoretically even wormholes should exist, and most likely do. The time/space is not a continuum in the sense that it constantly moves along a timeline, time and space are physically the same (I know, to imagine this makes headaches) and gravity is the force that controls both.

    All these fantasies about generating enough power to move a spaceship between galaxies with a combustion engine, funny people we dont even get to Mars properly with that....

    The trick is to utilise gravity (no, I'm not talking about tachions), and here not even that what we perceive as gravity in our nicely ordered and power-balanced three-dimensions world on earth, but the "force of gravity" that it truely is, out there in the universe.

    That the "folding" of space is possible is long known and proven since the discovering of strings and superstrings, which generate such an amount of gravitational force that they fold the time/space. Sure, they do it on a microlevel, but the principle should be the same for larger "things of matter" (f.e. a spaceship) folding larger parts of the time/space (f.e. between galaxies).

    With some thousand years more of "alien civilisation" researching the universe and its forces there might be indeed already other lifeforms controlling this technique, and as such might be able to travel to us. And there are a lot of galaxies / solar systems that are way older than our, and probably billions that offer planets where life can exist. From probability alone results that it would be really really weird if we were the only solar system with life.

    But I have to agree with Hawkins in this regard, that, provided life exists always in this constant state of "strife for thriving", that it might be pretty unfortunate for us to meet them. I mean, honestly, what threat did the Indians pose to us or other "primitive" people, that never kept us from wiping them out, just in case. It would be no different. And we shouldnt fall for the illusion that we could defend us when we meet aliens who are able to travel the universe.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

    my signature

  8. #18
    Senior Member Dropkick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Waterford
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    403
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin De Blois View Post
    I'm not pessimistic about space travel but just realistic, and don't attribute pessimism to me about interstellar travel just because I'm attempting to reason about the realities of space travel and physics. I'd sooner accept the reasoning and logic of Stephen Hawking concerning physics, space travel and the plausible outcome of contact with an alien race than anyone on this board.
    Keep an open mind. About 100 years ago somebody in the US patent office thought that everything that could be invented already had been.

    Also, the greatest scientists/inventors are the ones who keep an open mind. Even gravity is yet to be fully understood so who knows, when it is understood things like anti-gravity vehicles will be flying all over the place and we'll have an abundance of unlimited energy and (proper ) spaceships.

    Until scienctists understands all the mysteries of the universe they've no business telling people what not to believe. It's a bit egotistical of humans to think we're advanced because we're only comparing ourselves to animals.

  9. #19
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 @ 11:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neo-Danubian/Ladogan/Lappish
    Ancestry
    Nordic, Slavic, Flemmish.
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Flemish Brabant Flemish Brabant
    Location
    Kristiansand
    Gender
    Age
    27
    Politics
    National Socialist
    Religion
    Black Sun
    Posts
    23
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd like to quote Dutch comedian Theo Maassen on this.

    (about alien lifeforms)

    There aren't a lot of options, really. Either there are alien lifeforms, or there aren't. If there aren't, spending billions on space-travel is a waste of money. And if there is, there's still only two options. Either they're less intelligent than us, or more intelligent. If they're less intelligent, I don't want anything to do with them. And if they're more intelligent, they'll find us a lot sooner than we find them.

    Hehe.

  10. #20
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    Friday, February 1st, 2019 @ 01:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Old Prussian / English
    Ancestry
    Baltic Prussian, English, German
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Pommerania Pommerania
    Location
    Croydon
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Anti-Globalist
    Religion
    Early pre-trinitarian Christiani
    Posts
    734
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    24
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I tend to share the view of Henry Makow that this is a component of the deciept that is Project Bluebeam. http://www.henrymakow.com/cartier_mccloud.html

    And talking about project Bluebeam, Iam sure you are all aware of the HAARP technology and this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...rs-Norway.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No Heaven, Says Stephen Hawking
    By SaxonPagan in forum Metaphysics
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: Sunday, September 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Friday, April 22nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
  3. Hawking and Impractical Science
    By Psychonaut in forum Research & Technology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
  4. NASA Astronaut Edgar Mitchell Claims Alien Contact Cover-Up
    By The Horned God in forum Alternative Sciences
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Tuesday, July 29th, 2008, 10:19 AM
  5. Alien Contact
    By Hoarsewhisper in forum Norway
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sunday, February 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •