Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    437 Posts

10 Ways to Keep Your Mind Sharp

Tease your brain

Whether crossword puzzles, sudokus and other brain teasers actually keep your brain in shape, has not been well-established. However, lack of education is a strong predictor of cognitive decline. The more you've tried to learn, the better you'll be at mental sit-ups in old age. The key may be tackling something new; the challenge of the unknown is likely more beneficial than putting together the same jigsaw puzzle over and over again.

Skip the supplements

Supplements have been getting a bad rap recently, with even the familiar multivitamin now looking like a waste of money -- or worse. Brain pills, such as ginkgo and melatonin, likely belong in the trash as well. Despite their "natural" origins, they are not free of potential side effects, such as high blood pressure, digestion trouble, fertility problems and depression. And among healthy individuals, ginkgo offers no brain benefits beyond that of a placebo. (In some cases, the placebo worked better.)

Chill out

Stress takes a toll on the brain by washing harmful chemicals over the hippocampus and other brain areas involved in memory. Some scientists suspect that living a balanced lifestyle and pursuing relaxing activities such as yoga, socializing and crafting may delay memory impairment by reducing stress.

Eat fish

Some theories credit the introduction of fish into the human diet with the evolution of our tremendous cognitive prowess. Essential fatty acids, such as Omega 3s, are critical to brain function and are proving beneficial for treating such brain-sapping ailments as depression. Studies on the efficacy of Omega 3 supplements, however, have had mixed results, so get doses from food sources, such as flax seeds, fatty fish and grass-fed animals.

Enjoy your coffee

Growing evidence suggests a caffeine habit may protect the brain. According to large longitudinal studies, two to four perk-me-ups a day may stave off normal cognitive decline and decrease the incidence of Alzheimer's by 30 to 60 percent. It is unclear whether the benefits come from caffeine or the antioxidants found in coffee and tea, but that latte may improve cognition this afternoon and several decades from now.

Get your beauty rest

When we rest and dream, memories are sifted through, some discarded, others consolidated and saved. When we don't sleep, a recent study found, proteins build up on synapses, possibly making it hard to think and learn new things. Furthermore, chronically sleeping poorly (in contrast to not enough) is linked to cognitive decline in old age, although the relationship may not be causal.

Take care of your body

Largely preventable diseases -- such as Type II diabetes, obesity and hypertension -- all affect your brain, too. System-wide health concerns have been linked to an increased risk of cognitive decline and memory impairments. Keeping your circulatory system in working order, by, say, avoiding cigarettes and saturated fat, lessens the onslaught of age-related damage to the brain.

Watch that diet

While overindulging can make the brain sluggish and lead to long-term detriments to your brain, too few calories can also impair brain function. Extreme dieting can cause some diehards to feel stretches of calm -- a feeling that may underlie the addiction of anorexia -- but many studies have also linked dieting with distraction, confusion and memory impairment.

Eat, eat, eat

Too much or too little energy throws a kink in the brain's delicate machinery. A low glycemic diet -- high fiber, with moderate amounts of fat and protein -- is broken down more slowly in the body than high glycemic foods, such as sweets and white starches. A steady pace of digestion in the gut gives a more reliable flow of energy to the brain, likely optimizing the organ's long-term health and performance.

Do something!

Scientists are starting to think that regular aerobic exercise may be the single most important thing you can do for the long-term health of your brain. While the heart and lungs respond loudly to a sprint on the treadmill, the brain is quietly getting fitter with each step, too. For mental fitness, aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity every other day.

Source http://www.livescience.com/health/09...rp-mind-1.html

"Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound

Support Skadi forum

Last Online
    Thursday, July 8th, 2010 @ 03:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavaria (father) Norway(mother)
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    seperated
    Occupation
    renovations
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Deciple of Jesus
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs Up proper fasting for health not diet

Many years ago I started fasting for my health (Not Religion)This was recommended to me by a friend who was having great results.
    I started with a 10 day lemon cleansing fast more to get my feet wet, and
    see if I could handle it. After 4 days my hunger began to abate, and I stopped dreaming about food ,(the temptation) after the 4th day my energy increased, and I felt better and more sharp mentally (less sluggish) then I had felt in years.
    by the next year I had increased it to 15 days then 20, the most 24 days. this was before an operation to examine my colon (yuck).
    I find our heavy western diet tends to bog me down, so this has been the best answer to detoxifying my body once a year.
    all of the above post is very important too.

One with Nature
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 10:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Dacian & German
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    Skip the supplements

Supplements have been getting a bad rap recently, with even the familiar multivitamin now looking like a waste of money -- or worse. Brain pills, such as ginkgo and melatonin, likely belong in the trash as well. Despite their "natural" origins, they are not free of potential side effects, such as high blood pressure, digestion trouble, fertility problems and depression. And among healthy individuals, ginkgo offers no brain benefits beyond that of a placebo. (In some cases, the placebo worked better.)

Source http://www.livescience.com/health/090423-sharp-mind-1.html
    Ginkgo Biloba is one of the greatest plants, and it has amazing effects! Of course, if one knows how to use it properly.
    The supplements created by the same companies that produce ordinary medicines are usually just crap, I have to agree with that! But that's far away from a reason to ever think that Gingko can't offer brain benefits, or any other health benefits! Of course, the supplements which contain additives have side effects because of those additives. But there's no such an expression as "side effects" for the plant itself!

Eat fish

Some theories credit the introduction of fish into the human diet with the evolution of our tremendous cognitive prowess. Essential fatty acids, such as Omega 3s, are critical to brain function and are proving beneficial for treating such brain-sapping ailments as depression. Studies on the efficacy of Omega 3 supplements, however, have had mixed results, so get doses from food sources, such as flax seeds, fatty fish and grass-fed animals.

I may add other natural sources of Omega 3:
    - hemp seeds [source]
    - walnuts [source]
    - pumpkin seeds [source]
    Those three are of the most important sources of Omega 3.

Enjoy your coffee

Growing evidence suggests a caffeine habit may protect the brain. According to large longitudinal studies, two to four perk-me-ups a day may stave off normal cognitive decline and decrease the incidence of Alzheimer's by 30 to 60 percent. It is unclear whether the benefits come from caffeine or the antioxidants found in coffee and tea, but that latte may improve cognition this afternoon and several decades from now.

Here is an other view on coffee: http://www.naturalnews.com/012352.html

Personally I avoid coffee, I always prefer a good natural (no aromas, 'natural' aromas, or other shit) tea!

Antioxidants? Flavonoids are the best, and they can be found naturally in fresh reddish fruits, like cherries and forest berries!

Get your beauty rest
    Indeed, sleep is very important. The most important, I would say. Especially between 22:00 and 24:00, that's the perfect time for the brain cells to regenerate. Unfortunately, less and less people get enough sleep when it's the right time...
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    437 Posts
    About Omega 3, I thought it was documented that we only gained from it if it was from sea? And not from plants. But I'm not sure about it.

"Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound

Support Skadi forum

One with Nature
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 10:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Dacian & German
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Indeed. But depends what do you mean by plants, if you include here seeds and nuts, as well.

EFA-containing foods in the diet

Here's a representative listing of categories of foods containing these essential oils. It is imperative to understand that these foods must be grown organically and, if necessary, processed with low heat and no artificial preservatives-otherwise the EFAs will be ruined, like the trans-fat, hydrogenated, cancer-causing oils you've heard about. Compare your diet and these EFA-containing foods. Are you getting enough of them?

Dairy/eggs/cheese: "Raw milk" cheeses and organic eggs are excellent sources of EFAs. Pasteurised (heated) milk is deficient in EFAs and is detrimental to infants.

Meats: Organically raised and processed chicken, beef (grass-fed is best38), lamb, pork, etc. are rich sources of EFAs. Animal-based protein is also important for obtaining anti-cancer vitamins and minerals and for producing strong haemoglobin which enables oxygen transportation.

Nuts: Organic, unprocessed raw almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashews, etc.

Seafood: Shrimp (prawns), fish, lobster, crab, clams, oysters, etc. It is important to understand that consuming lots of seafood is not the anti-cancer answer. Seafood is overly abundant in both parent and derivative omega-3 EFAs. Fish, especially farmed fish, contains mostly omega-3 derivatives; farmed fish and oil from farmed fish are to be avoided.

Seeds: Organic sunflower, sesame, flax, pumpkin, etc.
    The following foods do not contain usable EFAs for humans:

Fruits and vegetables: Animals with multiple stomachs can extract EFAs out of plant-based cellulose like grass, but humans, with only one stomach, cannot. Even if we could extract the EFAs, we could never eat the volume required to get enough.

Grains/cereals: Humans cannot extract the EFAs from them.
    AND some general facts about Omega 3 and Omega 6, and their ideal ratios in the human body:

Omega-6 versus omega-3 ratios in the body

We must look at the tissue content of our bodies to determine what oils contain the best anti-cancer EFAs. It is known from pathology studies that the brain and nervous system have a ratio of one part omega-6 to one part omega-3 (1:1). Some nutritionists suggest that this ratio is best, but they are wrong. Here's why.

Most organs contain a 4:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. However, the brain, nervous system and organs comprise only about 12% of body weight. Skin is 100% parent omega-6 and contains no omega-3;35 it comprises about 4% of body weight. The muscles comprise at least 50% of total body weight and are the prime factor to account for in determining the required parent omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. A key fact about muscle structure is that muscle contains from 5.5 to 7.5 times more omega-6 than omega-3, depending on the degree of physical condition.36 We are warned about "overdosing" on omega-6 in our diets and told that we must take lots of oils containing omega-3 to compensate. We are told that we are ingesting upwards of 20 times too much omega-6. This is wrong, and there is much more to the analysis.

Scientifically, you need an organic supplement with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 of 1:1 up to 2.5:1. With this powerfully effective ratio, you only require a minimum amount of 3-4 grams on a daily basis. This ratio is significantly different than your physician, health practitioner or writers on popular nutritional publications will likely suggest: they simply don't know and understand the basis of it. Their analysis consists of a significant number of errors, and I hope you will review the paper "The Scientific Calculation of the Optimum Omega 6/3 Ratio" at http://www.BrianPeskin.com (click on "EFA Report") so you will understand this as well as the science behind the calculation of the ideal omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.

Today, people automatically think of fish oil or flax oil as the anti-cancer solution. Following these incorrect recommendations is a significant factor in why America's cancer rates continue to skyrocket in spite of millions of people taking these oils. Fish oil, with an overdose of omega-3 series derivatives, can actually be cancer-causing-the opposite of what we desire--and flax oil contains far too much parent omega-3.

Most parent omegas do not get converted to derivatives; they remain in the cell membranes and tissues in original parent form. Few scientists understand this and few medical texts explain it.37 Furthermore, commercial food processing destroys a significant amount of these EFAs, along with their oxygenating ability.
    Extracted from Nexus Magazine, Volume 14, Number 1 (December 2006 - January 2007)

Source
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.