Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Our Childhood - Experiences Forever

Hi there Skadites ,

today I want to talk about childhood experiences with you. Everyone was a child in the days gone by, and I guess most of us have a lot of positive, interesting, joyful and unforgettable memories of that unique time in life. And yes, I am afraid that some of us had to cope with dark and sad experiences as well, even with some reminiscences who affect us up to the present day.

I was watching the wonderful drama movie "Bridge to Terabithia" today and it triggered a lot of memories in my mind. Memories of a time which is gone forever and irretrievably lost. Honestly spoken, sometimes I´m missing the time when life was easier and unproblematic. As an adult everything is so serious, you have to function and there isn´t much time to mediate and to explore the world with childlike curiosity.

Well, I don´t know how other people feel about it, but I have to say that my mind works different as an adult. The way how you view the world changes completely. As a child, you have that indescribable view of the world around you. You´re lacking of mature reason but you have that profound, somehow mysterious and uncomplex world view and interest. You don´t think about the consequences or possibilities, you just do it.

What I am missing is the light-heartedness, the insouciance and the invisible coat which protects you against the real life of adults. And I´m missing my ability to fantasize and dream. Oh how much was I dreaming as a girl! I´ve created my own world with my best friends and imagined the craziest things to explain matters we couldn´t understand.

Indeed, I´m missing running around with my friends outside in the local forest, exploring the nature and playing games. I´m missing teasing the boys of our village (and vice versa ). I´m missing the adventures we untertook during snowfall or summer rain, coming home late and dirty and getting into trouble with my parents. I´m missing playing at the nearby creek. I´m missing playing with my toys and I´m missing the feeling of "I don´t care for the world" as long as my own little realm remained unharmed. I´m missing my old friends. Oh my gods, I was such a "tomboy" as English people would say.

But nowadays everything is different, adulthood is disillusioning. The easy time is gone and I have to lead the life of an adult woman with all positive and negative sides, with all demands and difficulties: The weekly up and downs in a relationship, the search for a new job after I´ve left my old due to my pregnancy...which ended in a distressing miscarriage last year. The constant concern regarding the health of my loved ones. The grief about the decease of my grandmother who was like a second mother to me 2,5 years ago. And and and.

If I only had known what I know today as a child, then... But I think it´s better that way. Childhood is childhood and maturity is maturity. We have to store our experiences and memories in our heart and mind so that we can nourish from them if we have to come through a hard time. No one can take our memories away and like my signature quotation says, in our dreams we learn what we really are. And the best dreamers are children.

Well, I don´t know if this thread makes any sense at all in the eyes of others but I had the urge to talk about it. I´m in the mood of looking back and just wanted to share some my thoughts with you. I´d be glad if you would share some of your ideas about the issue with me and us. Or stories about some of your childhood adventures and memories, may they be good or bad. There´s no reason to feel embarrassed or shy. We all have our weak spots and I´m very sensitive when it comes to memories, dreams and past experiences. Let´s talk about something nice, not always about our daily problems with mass immigration, islamisation or globalisation. Our mind is our haven and our memories a lane.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, February 1st, 2019 @ 01:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Old Prussian / English
    Ancestry
    Baltic Prussian, English, German
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Pommerania Pommerania
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Anti-Globalist
    Religion
    Early pre-trinitarian Christiani
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Now my childhood was one of serious abuse and neglect, the only positive being the time I spent in a childrens home, I time of halcyon iydillic bliss, which I look back on as the only time of my life worth living.

My view therefore, and Iam afraid it has my creation by God viewpoint, is that we where created for a better world, a world of magical bliss, where even the animals where meant to be our friends, a world that was expected by a child to be the world we where created for.
    Even in my loveless and fearfull childhood I had such positive and high expectations on how wonderfull life was going to be.

Adulthood has proven it to be otherwise in this Godless and satanic world of slavery.
    Instead of living in the forest near a river, surrounded by nature and its bounty, one lives in a concrete rat race, surrounded by other and somewhat aggessive or at least miserable rats, all driven around a treadmill of drudgery just to survive.

Last Online
    Monday, October 17th, 2011 @ 10:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Ancestry
    Westfalen
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Single adult
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Hi there Skadites ,

today I want to talk about childhood experiences with you.

It's almost mysterious that you bring the topic childhood experiences up right now.
    Lately I myself was thinking alot about my childhood and re-lived many beautiful memories.
    I recently saw Movies i loved (and still love) from the good old times and visited places that were important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    What I am missing is the light-heartedness, the insouciance and the invisible coat which protects you against the real life of adults.
    I understand and share your feelings 100%.
    But just as we are sad that this time is forever gone (at least in this life who knows what is coming) i look forward to make the childhood of my children i will have on day even more beautiful than my own.

And i know, to see their joy will be even more wonderful.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Ahhh! Thusnelda, thanks for this wonderful thread. Yes, lately I have been thinking about my childhood, and how much I miss it. But, I feel also happy that I am transitioning into an adult.

But, I still miss my childhood. I miss playing with my toys in my once big backyard, I miss playing with my neighborhood friends before they all started moving away (), I miss it when nothing in the world bothered me, and I wasn't constantly thinking about my screw ups in life. Yeah, I miss that short part of my life when it was simple.

Despite that, like I said above, I feel happy inside that I am moving on. I'm taking on a whole lot more responsibilities, and I get to enjoy so many more pleasures, however sophisticated they may be.

Although, there were somethings of my childhood that I think left some affect on me. For example, at one point my parents kept me in a public school which was just about 98% Mexican-American (I'm sure many were illegal though or anchor babies), before putting me into a private school with 99% whites. But, childhood did have some of its pains -- and ignorant parents is one of them, no matter how many times I told them that I hated mexicans when I was little.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts

Good thread

I would say I had a very good childhood, despite my father passing when I was 8.

The thoughts of my childhood bring me back to good and happy times. I have lots of brothers and sisters. As family we stuck together and enjoyed ourselves in work and play.

Some of the best times I remember were when all twelve of us children and my mother and father sat down for dinner at one big farm table. It was very loud and noisy but it was good times. Although we were poor we always had plenty to eat and it was home cooked.

Another very found memory was going hunting with my older brothers. I was allowed to carry a gun at age six.

I could go on and on about good childhood memories, but I will spare you all the boring details.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 10:50 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Cool Thread.You know for the most part I had a wonderful childhood.There
    where some bad moments but I think almost everyone had some of those during their childhood As I look back on my childhood right now,two things stick out the most.One is like G.Baughman mentioned,the dinner table.

I don't know what it is about dinner tables,but I miss it bad sometimes.Some
    of the best moments I had as a child took place while my family was eating.
    Maybe it is because deep down I miss that feeling you get knowing mom has
    just baked a ham and I can still remember the smells and how everyone just
    could not wait to dig in.Or maybe I just miss everyones company.My family
    hardly ever gets together anymore.We have all grown apart.

The second thing I miss about childhood is what I call "Childhood Excitement"
    You know those feelings you got when you did something new like ride a
    Rollercoaster or those out of this world feelings you experienced with your
    first Girlfriend or Boyfriend.Man,if they could bottle those feelings up and sell
    them over the counter,I would be hooked.Being a kid was great.I could wake
    up everyday ready to go.Damn I'm getting old.

Thanks Thusnelda for a great thread.You got the old wheels turning.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 @ 07:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Slovakia
    Subrace
    Nordid-Alpinid mix
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    college student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I grew up in isolated hilly country. Wandering in woods, meadows, and hills brings me back to those days when I would do just that; and it lets my mind soar in wonder as it had. Getting out into the wilderness makes me feel free from the monotonousness of my work , and not like a caged wolf. I am making a point to venture forth more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyriusz View Post
    i look forward to make the childhood of my children i will have on day even more beautiful than my own.

And i know, to see their joy will be even more wonderful.
    This is something we should all aspire to.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Ancestry
    England
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Queensland Queensland
    Has Left Skadi
    Politics
    Has Left Skadi
    Religion
    Has Left Skadi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    For me, the cruel sun and tropical, perspiring heat of the dry season. Everything is boiling, the car seats you sit on, the metal on railings, the air, the bitumen on the road, the nights filled with bugs and mozzies. Even the water out of the taps hurts to touch. It was hard trying to do school homework too. It's an inescapable, endless, dry heatwaves in the tropics.

The days as a kid were spent constantly at the hose, chasing and spraying the dog, spraying your friends, yourself and making flatplastic water slip and slides. Eating the oranges off the trees and the grapes from the vines. We'd take turns at each others back yards getting constantly soaked. We were very wet kids! We would often convert a trampolline into a soapy bouncing water bath too! That was crazy!

There is however special and unique day every year. After the perpetual sun and unforgiving heat, the whole day has had a different feeling, it's high hot and dry summer, yet there is a fragrence, a sweet scent of something familiar, beautiful and clean. You can feel it's change on your skin, you can sense it upon your face and your lips. The breeze carries it and you only just percieve it, when you do though, it makes you tingle inside.

On that special day, in the afternoon, you sit at home waiting on the front verandah for it to come. The wind starts to change and you can feel it, you know it. And then the skies go deep black and the cold air rushes through and it arrives.

It's like god cleaves the heavens and a war of water and light explodes forth, booming and pouring onto everything. Crashing, thrashing lightning, earth shaking thunder and the rain that sounds like a vertical tidal wave. Roofs are hammered with a sky full of thick water blobs, the streets fill and the electrical storms blackout every house in the neighbourhood.

The air is saturated and cool, the dog is shivering and nervous upon the tiles. It's frightening and thrilling all in one. Lightening scores the powerlines and trees and it's impacts shakes the house and makes everything flash.

The storms are low and powerful up in the tropics. And when they arrive, they leave the roads in water for weeks. That allows all the kids to glide-surf around the neighbourhood on whatever piece of wood we can find.

That's probably what I remember the most. Plus all the funny bugs you find in the tropics. Oh, and the noisy parakeets who used to drink from the African Violet trees out the front. They were gorgeous.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 06:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think as people get older they reflect more on their childhood, past experiences, good and bad memories, resentments and regrets. I am in my 30's and I am finding I reflect more on my joys and cranks from the past....moreso than when I was in my early 20's. I don't think young people should analyse too much...there is enough time later in life for that. good or bad.

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    Childhood... Everything seemed so huge to me... the Botanical Garden, the cortile at the back of my grandparents's block of flats... How I was dreaming, and spending time with the best grandparents in the world! And my beloved great-grandmother (Rest in Peace!), who took care of me a lot... I was spending a lot of time with her, outside or in her one-room apartment.

Picking chervil in the forests near the city, going there with my grandparents' car... I can still feel the fresh smell of the chervil, and the chervil always reminds me of the forest and when I was picking it with my great-grandma... The fresh green of the forest, and of the grass...

The walls in my great-grandmother's flat were green, I can still see their colour... the balcony was full of plants, she had lots of flowers... I loved flowers, too, and I took care of them by her side. She was listening to folkloric music on a small radio... and she had lots of pillows, that I used to arrange on the bed and pretend I was in a castle. I also used to take eggs from the kitchen and put them under lots of pillows, waiting for them to incubate and have yellow fluffy chicken brood. Of course, the eggs never incubated that way, even if I wish they did...

The delicious cakes made by my paternal grandmother, the tea with biscuits, the cream of wheat with milk... yumm, yumm... I can still feel their taste and scent... the "snow-white" cake made by her is the best in the world, and I never found any other cake like that! I enjoyed spending time in the kitchen with my grandma...

The big balcony my grandparents had, and the terrace... My grandpa was born in a mountainous village, being very close to Nature, and we used to take care together of the flowers in the balcony... we were going almost daily to the Botanical Garden and to a huge Park near it, we were bringing home spring water and soil for the flowers from there... I was spreading seeds in the gravel of the terrace, and they were taking roots... how nice, I was going along so well with the plants... there were also ants on the terrace, and I liked ants so much... and there were pigeons coming and eating there...

The walks in the nearby Parks... the boy living at an upper floor, on whom I had a crush... he picked up pansies for me one day, it was so nice... I always loved pansies! Hmmm, the elevator from my grandparents block of flats... the children in the neighbourhood, with whom I used to have several conflicts and who were kind of evil...

The Parks nearby where I lived with my parents... the way from home to school, or to kindergarten, with one of my grandparents, usually... the time spend with my grandma after school, when we used to picnic in the park... what a nice time...

I sometimes felt alone, I wish I had older brothers or sisters... or not too much younger than me... and I never went along well with my mother...
    There were lots of gypsies living in the blocks of flats at the back of the block where I was living, and they gave me a hard time when I was going to play in the park. Or even at school.

However, there are many more good things to remember, and I will probably write about them other time... I still like to dream a lot, dreams keep me alive, I couldn't live without dreams. I wish to do the best of my life, but sometimes it's really difficult, especially when I'm alone. My family invested a lot in me. They helped me to become what I am now. And I wish they could be proud of me.

I still dream to meet, one day, the right person to share my life with... to marry, have a family, and more children than just one. I wish to be a better mother and wife than my mother was (my parents ended up in divorce, after many many years)...
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast