Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sub-German Identities

I'd really appreciate it if a German could explain the various sub-German identities that modern Germans recognize.

I notice that in some threads Austrians, Bavarians, and Swiss refer to themselves as being Bajuvarian or Alemannic. I know that some areas of Baden-Würrtemburg and Bavaria are considered Swabian. Are the Swabian areas of Bavaria also Franconian? Are Frisians considered to be a distinct group, or are they lumped in with other, larger sub groups? Are Swabians Alemans? Are Hessians Saxons? Neidersachsens are Saxons, but as I understand it the Germans in Sachsen aren't considered to be Saxons. If this is true, then what are the Sachsens? What are Rhinelanders and Westphalians? Are Prussians Saxons, or are they considered to be their own separate tribe?

The sub-German identities seem to me to sometimes be based on historical political divisions, sometimes on older tribal identities, and still other times on linguistic differences. Even though I am fairly knowledgeable about German history in general, this information is difficult to find in English language resources.

A double thanks if you can recommend reference material on this topic.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 13th, 2011 @ 03:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    German, English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No one can help me with this?

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runder View Post
    I'd really appreciate it if a German could explain the various sub-German identities that modern Germans recognize.

I notice that in some threads Austrians, Bavarians, and Swiss refer to themselves as being Bajuvarian or Alemannic. I know that some areas of Baden-Würrtemburg and Bavaria are considered Swabian. Are the Swabian areas of Bavaria also Franconian?
    No, the Swabian district of Bavaria isn't part of the Franconian districts of Bavaria.

You can see the three Old-Bavarian districts (Oberbayern, Niederbayern, Oberpfalz), the three Franconian districts (Oberfranken, Mittelfranken, Unterfranken) and the Swabian district (Schwaben).

Well, the level of regionalism is quite high here in Germany. Every region has its unique self identity and history. We Bavarians even have some kind of "national pride" regarding our Bavarian state. The same counts for Swabians, Saxons or Frisians. But all tribes together are united as Germans and although not less people would consider a split (especially when having arguments with Prussians ) we all know that we´re Germans in our heart.
    Are Frisians considered to be a distinct group, or are they lumped in with other, larger sub groups?
    No, Frisians are considered as an own distinct group like Saxons or Swabians.
    Are Swabians Alemans?
    Yes, they are. Alemans are the Swabians, the Badener, the Swiss-Germans and the Vorarlberger. To name the largest.
    Are Hessians Saxons?
    No, Hessians form an own German tribe and aren't related with Saxons. They are historically, culturally and linguistically related with the Franconians.
    Neidersachsens are Saxons, but as I understand it the Germans in Sachsen aren't considered to be Saxons. If this is true, then what are the Sachsens?
    Both are Saxons, the difference is that the historical Saxon tribe has moved to Niedersachsen for the largest part. The Saxons in Sachsen are not completely directly related with the old Saxons who had to fight against Charlemagne.
    What are Rhinelanders and Westphalians?
    A mix of several German tribes. The Ruhrgebiet has been the inner-German melting pot in the past.
    Are Prussians Saxons, or are they considered to be their own separate tribe?
    "Prussian" is a term to describe a bunch of Northern German tribes. Berliner, Brandenburger, Mecklenburger, etc.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Monday, October 17th, 2011 @ 09:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Ancestry
    Westfalen
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Single adult
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    A mix of several German tribes. The Ruhrgebiet has been the inner-German melting pot in the past.
    While it is true that the Ruhrgebiet is a unique region that over time formed an own identity - Westphalia and the Rhineland are more than just the Ruhrgebiet.

Westphalians were once one of the sub-tribes of the (low-)Saxon tribe along with Engern and Eastphalia (but Engern and Eastphalia lost it's names) and are thus North-German. The Westphalian dialect is part of the low-german/low-saxon language.

The above shown picture shows the area where Westphalian was spoken - marked with the number 6.
    Notice that the historic Westphalian lands go further north than what is today considered Westphalia.

The Bundesland NRW () consists of the low-german Westphalia and the central-german (northern part of the) Rhineland.
    The southern part of the Rhineland is located in the Bundesland Rhineland-Palatinate.

It is a shame and it angers me to the boiling point that almost all young people in Westphalia do not even know their own history and see themselves as NRW-ler

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Thyriusz For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Saturday, August 13th, 2011 @ 03:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    German, English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thank you both very much.

I have some follow up questions-

Are there German identity heirarchies? For example, would a Swabian think of himself as Swab first, then Aleman, then German?

What position on the heirarchy does Hessian fall? Is Hessian comparable to Swabian, or is is comparable to Aleman? Is Franconian comparable to Aleman?

Is there somewhere where I could find an exhaustive list of the middle rank identities (for lack of a better term). I know Prussian, Saxon, Aleman, Austro-Bavarians- are there more?

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit vague. I thank your for your patience.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Angelfolc
    Ancestry
    Angles, Frisians, Saxons
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Y-DNA
    Y
    mtDNA
    X
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Hannover Hannover
    Yorkist
    Occupation
    Once More Unto the Breach
    Politics
    Welf
    Religion
    ex-U.C. of England & Ireland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    The main volk identities to last into the present, are the Saxons of Norddeutschland, Bavarians of Suddeutschland and Prussians of Ostdeutschland, although Hessians and Thuringians have been reconstituted by the current Bundesrepublik within West and East Mitteldeutschland respectively, but lacked lander integrity for much of history. Franks were the volk of Westdeutschland, but Franken doesn't have much profile outside their Ripuarian region, compared to the coastal Salians of "Frenelux".