Thread: (M)Iserables: a Bedouin Village in Switzerland?

Last Online
    Saturday, April 28th, 2018 @ 05:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Katarinensische
    Subrace
    Dinarid
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post (M)Iserables: a Bedouin Village in Switzerland?

Iserables: a Bedouin village in Switzerland?

Brandt-Casadevall C, Dimo-Simonin N, Sutter A, Gujer HR.

Institut de Medecine legale, Lausanne, Switzerland.

Iserables is an alpine village--about 1000 inhabitants--which remained isolated till these recent years because of its particular geographical situation. The Iserables inhabitants call themselves "Bedjuis" (Bedouin in local dialect) and regard themselves as descendants of the Sarrazins who invaded the Alps during the VIII-X centuries. Our goal, in studying several DNA-VNTR polymorphims, in addition to some blood groups, within the Iserables community, was to see if there was any evidence supporting this popular belief. As a preliminary phase of this project, the allelic frequencies for six VNTR loci analysed for 102 individuals of the village (all descendants of nine original families) are presented. The results are compared with those reported for Swiss and white populations.

Last Online
    Monday, March 26th, 2007 @ 12:54 AM
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    Industrial Plant Mechanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: (M)Iserables: a Bedouin village in Switzerland?

This is very intriguing. My family is from Bern, which is no more than fifty miles from Sion, and Iserables. Before moving to America, my grandfathers family was refered to as Black Swiss. I have read many articles on Black Dutch, who were actually dark skinned dark haired German americans. Early americans thought they were Dutch because when asked what their original nationality was they would respond, "Duetsch". What the ignorant early Americans didn't realize was that this mean "German" in the german language.
    However, I have never read of Black Swiss. My grandfather and father both have (had) black hair, and tan to the point that they are mistaken for Mexicans from time to time. Perhaps Black Swiss was reference to their dark complection. But, if it is true that the people of Iserables were decendants of the Saracen army, perhaps my family migrated to Bern from this remote village.
    Non the less I would be intrigued to read the findings from this study. If you have information on how I can obtain the reports it would be much appreciated.