Thread: Posting an Article - Fair Use Rule

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 04:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Posting an Article - Fair Use Rule

According to the "Rules for Posting Articles and other Media Releases", thread, it states: "Unless you have explicit permission from the author(s) or the work is in public domain, it is not ok to post full articles or other media releases". But then it goes on to say: "The correct way is to post a short summary of or excerpt from the article".

So my question is :when posting an article, does it require contact to the author (s) at all times? If you post not a full article, but a short summary or excerpt, including the link, do you still need permission from the author(s)?
    Thank you for help.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 4th, 2012 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Saw View Post
    So my question is :when posting an article, does it require contact to the author (s) at all times?
    If you post not a full article, but a short summary or excerpt, including the link, do you still need permission from the author(s)?
    It depends on what type of article you want to reprint here.
    A short summary will do when it's a news article written by a journalist,i.e. FoxNews,CNN,ABC.
    On the other hand,if you want to reprint a full article that was written by a private individual about their personal views on political or historical matters on their own blog or website then you should contact the person and ask for permission because he or she may not agree with Skadi.
    But don't quote me on this.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2020 @ 08:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    251 Posts
    Usually the "hook" on the article will be in the first two or three paragraphs as well, use that and then post a link to the full article. This is especially important with sites belonging to newspapers, a mixture between not fully agreeing with Skadi and losing some of their site traffic (which also negatively affects their search engine ratings) could be motives.

(As an anecdote here: A picture I posted in the "Beautiful Germanic Women" thread is actually already listed under "forums.skadi.net" in the Top Page of Google Image Search, so I see where they might be coming from )

It's a lesser problem with outspoken Nationalist sites, often they'll simply not be bothered if a full article is used. Outspokenly Nationalist news-portals or blogs are bound to be happier for seeing the "word spread" than to be annoyed about use of their article.

HOWEVER: Fair use arguably still applies, so if in doubt, use an excerpt, use reason or ask. For example, I always post Alpen-Donau.info articles in full, as we're actually listed as under "Finde Widerstand in deiner Region" as Aktionsfront Tirol they're hardly going to sue "their own".

Keeping to the fair-use rule as much as possible is important, at least with articles where this can be well-done as we have actually previously received complaints over this, some of which not particularly friendly, so this isn't a "happy-go-lucky" rule, but one of utmost importance if you hold Skadi dear. Many factually don't complain but since they legally can it's not a chance to take.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 04:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    It's a lesser problem with outspoken Nationalist sites, often they'll simply not be bothered if a full article is used. Outspokenly Nationalist news-portals or blogs are bound to be happier for seeing the "word spread" than to be annoyed about use of their article.
    Thank you. So we are allowed to use full articles from "outspokenly nationalist sites" correct? Would http://www.stormfront.org, be considered an example of one of those "Outspokenly Nationalist sites", that you speak of?

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2020 @ 08:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallflower View Post
    Thank you. So we are allowed to use full articles from "outspokenly nationalist sites" correct? Would http://www.stormfront.org, be considered an example of one of those "Outspokenly Nationalist sites", that you speak of?
    If it's at another forum, it's generally easier to do anyway. As a general rule of thumb, no one's going to be offended if you repost an original piece that they posted on such a forum if you give due credit to them, i.e. such as "I found this excellent treatise on Fair-Use Articles on Skadi, by an intelligent member called walfore, here's the link.

(If you viewed it from a cynical, but pragmatic angle, they're not bound to go to a court of law and say, "Look, this is me, John Doe posting as JustAUser on a Nationalist forum. If you look around there's a lot of holocaust denial and other problematic stuff written by me, but today I'm here to tell you that AnotherUser has stolen my intellectual propery" )

Usually posting a full article from a Nationalist blogger or an official party platform or activists' platform will also not be an issue, as they oft intentionally write it to be spread, all they care for typically is that they be given due credit, and they're not going to be bothered about traffic coming from this site.

However, even many Nationalists can still be a little touchy, much as other people, so if in doubt whether someone's going to mind using their full article, better be safe than sorry, always.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)