@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Are You an Ageist?

Do you discriminate and hold prejudices based on age? Do you think people should be entitled to discriminate based on age? If so, against which age group?

It's mostly teens that get on my nerves. I find it difficult to communicate with them. I guess it's the gap between generations.

In politics and law, I think age should count and discrimination should be made for example if people are too young or too old to vote.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 09:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    263 Posts
    I'm not an ageist. I do have a decent respect for my elders if they bring the wisdom to come with there age, as there are some things you can only learn with age. On the other hand, I listen to the advice younger friends and comrades give me, after all throughout school time I've known the experience of being the youngest in class, and it was always a right battle to be heard for your sensible advice.

I do have an aversion towards outright ageists though. There are people who think that when wisdom comes with age, that it comes automatically, which it doesn't: Wisdom comes with experience, rather than with age - someone with 25 can have seen it all, whilst a mommys-boy with 40 might not have seen anything. I know a guy aged 33, unemployed and still living at home who is good friends with a girl who had a difficult youth and is a mother at 20, and she definitely has more experience and wisdom and live than he does.

That's actually what often annoys me. When you are sat at a table with people aged 15-40 and everyone is in agreement that you have the superior arguments, and then the person you are debating against, who is older, knows no other way out and then pulls the argumentum ad aetatem, just because it's the only thing you can't argue against.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Sunday, September 6th, 2020 @ 11:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I do somewhat but that depends on the subject. I don't like what is called the Baby Boomer generation. Not all people of this age group are bad. For the most part they are the ones that were the tools for multiculturalism, marxism, radical leftist liberalism, and whole host of other degeneracies. They are the largest population group in the US right now and they never fail to let you know it. I think that the day you draw a check from the government is the day you should not be allowed to vote.

Teens can be annoying, but it is hard to judge for me. Since most of the teens I talk to are either my relatives or members of this forum. If a teen is a member of this board then it gives me great hope for the future.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, May 7th, 2011 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Austrian-German
    Ancestry
    Viennese
    Country
    Austria Austria
    State
    Vienna Vienna
    Nationalist-libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think some things should definitely be based on age. I think the voting age should be raised to at least 21, preferably 25 or over, and people who become too old and turn senile should not be allowed to vote either. I also think the age of consent should be raised to 18, drinking age to 21 (with 18 for beer and such).
    THINK! It's not illegal yet.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Sunday, September 6th, 2020 @ 11:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    ^Sissy the drinking age in the US is 21 and it does not help anything. In fact it may cause more troubles. If children are taught that drinking is taboo and forbidden then what is the first thing they are going to do? Instead it should be downplayed as no big deal and they won't make a big deal out of it.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 27th, 2020 @ 10:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I see alot of things that are wrong with many of today's children, teenagers and young adults, many albeit far from all. The younger they are the more I am prone to think of them as spoiled and pampered brats. The lack of respect, even if it is not outright disrespectful behaviour as of yet, that my younger brother can display towards my parents I see as typical of those late 90s children growing up.

The way that dicipline isn't upheld in the same way and to the same extent as it was when I was his age annoys me as I've seen first hand what lax parenting does to kids from my own childhood and my own friends. I don't feel comfortable assuming the role of replacement tough-guy, the role that my dad played in my life growing up, but at the same time I wonder what it will lead to if this kind of behaviour isn't met with as much resistance. Especially since I'm out of the house.

These tendencies I attribute to the the younger-sibling generation of those of us who were born in the 80s. Alot of things were wrong with alot of my peers already, but still I think there has been a considerable turn for the worse in this department when speaking of this new group of adolescents, that is not only affecting problematic homes.

Am I simply being overly nostalgic of my not so distant childhood or do other feels as though there really has been a worsening in the last decade or so?

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G Baughman View Post
    ^Sissy the drinking age in the US is 21 and it does not help anything. In fact it may cause more troubles. If children are taught that drinking is taboo and forbidden then what is the first thing they are going to do?
    Indeed, I have noticed that problem as well. Whilst we have alcohol problems in Austria, I noticed them to be much worse in the UK, especially when it came to first-year students.

When I attended university in Scotland, you'd see students running around drunk, making a lot of noise, and then behaving so ill that you wish you'd never known such people (there was the incident of a girl fouling into a corner because she was drunk).

The problem there was: They'd just turned 18, and it was the first time they were away from home. Now they thought they could do everything, and strangely enough this was supported by parents who'd often send their children bottles of vodka (!) etc. for their 18th birthday for their "first legal piss-up".

Down here the people are already past that stage when they enter university, most of my co-students enjoy a good night's drink but I've seen none of those I know act that disorderly, when they made those experiences around age 16 it was less extreme, also because there were restraints on what they could do after getting home (which accounted for much of the disorderly behaviour in halls in Scotland).

Notable counter-examples exist, but the story about that Innsbruck female student who went all aggressive first on a taxi driver, then a police officer, in December, doesn't say anything about the legal drinking age, at 27 she would be expected to act sensible when drunk even by raising the drinking age to 25!
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Last Online
    Sunday, March 8th, 2020 @ 03:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    665 Posts
    Hmm, dont know whether it could be called 'ageist', but I do think certain things should be limited by age, in both directions.

Indeed, kids/youths mostly are annoying, but I already thought that back then in school, when I was their same age. Noisy, unreliable, short-sighted, short-tempered, acting on each of their little wishes and needs, never thinking. Then again, isnt this what being a child is about? Well, of course there should be set limits by parents, teachers, people, only strife and resistance makes one strong, resistance on which to form a personality. Excesses belong to that phase as well as learning to behave and to know one's own limits (laws and even words by parents won't do that job).

Laws need to be generalised, and while there can be people who get mentally matured with 15, they arent the rule, as well as people who arent matured with 25 and most likely will never become matured either arent the rule. Makes it a tough question.

So, with 18 you can be expected to be reliable enough to make contracts (many will already work with 18, so there should be a legal ground for spending their money too) and so on.

What bothers me the most though are young people driving cars. Like with scooters / motorbikes which are limited, based on age to 30 or 50 km/h, the first car should be limited to 80 km/h (minimum tempo here on autobahn I think). So they have time to get used to the traffic and get routine in driving, without being able to smash themselves and their fife friends into a wall with 200km/h.

But likewise for old people. When people become older than 65, they should have to make a test whether they are still able to handle a car and the traffic. As much as children dont have it yet, older people often lose the ability to estimate the tempo of another car and then drive into the street with the result that I have to make a hard brake to prevent crashing into them. They often are a hindrance to a normal flowing traffic, because they think driving with 30km/h on the autobahn or highway would be perfectly okay (I'm not in a hurry after all), collecting countless other cars behind them who all think otherwise (not least because of the minimum tempo on autobahn), or try to 'educate' others to drive like them and block the passing lanes.

And there are other things like that too, working on machines, piecework or whatever. Older people become slower, some more some less, but there should be a test to check that and based on the results their 'freedom' should be limited when they pose a danger to themselves or others.

So, not a general discrimination (although I wouldnt call it discrimination anyway), but on a case to case and situation to situation basis which takes the knowledge about the changes age can cause into account.

For the voting stuff. Dont know, yes, set voting age to 21 or something, but also limit age on the other end of the spectrum, specially for those being voted for. Right now it isnt that bad, but 20 years back the average politician was like 70, some way older. Dont consider that such a good thing. Wisdom of the elder as advise is fine, but dont let them control everything alone. Politicians should retire with 65 like anyone else too.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    But likewise for old people. [...]They often are a hindrance to a normal flowing traffic, because they think driving with 30km/h on the autobahn or highway would be perfectly okay (I'm not in a hurry after all)
    This is not a phenomenon restricted to old people. When there is snow on the road some people are suddenly so scared that they drive at like 15km/h. During exam time, two other students on the bus route and I came late for our exam even though we actually took an earlier bus, the woman who drove at snail speed was no older than 35.

Wisdom of the elder as advise is fine, but dont let them control everything alone. Politicians should retire with 65 like anyone else too.
    Umm, there is no law that I know of that forces you to retire at 65. If you so please and your employer is fine it is currently your every right to work until they nail shut your coffin.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 8th, 2020 @ 03:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    665 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    This is not a phenomenon restricted to old people. When there is snow on the road some people are suddenly so scared that they drive at like 15km/h. During exam time, two other students on the bus route and I came late for our exam even though we actually took an earlier bus, the woman who drove at snail speed was no older than 35.
    Yeah, well, a special "I'm allowed to drive in snow because I made a test that I can" licence would be cool too, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    Umm, there is no law that I know of that forces you to retire at 65. If you so please and your employer is fine it is currently your every right to work until they nail shut your coffin.
    Hmm, I know in the so-called 'free occupations' (doctors, lawyers, artists, etc) there is no general rule for it, but when I remember right my mother got automatically the papers when she was 64, and she could opt for another year (to end of 65) but then it would have automatically end for her. Not sure, really. Maybe it's not a law as such, just a result of the retirement department's way to work? Dont know.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that you cant have senile people defining your laws and nation. There should be a limit, and 65 I find fine in this case. When you have predominantly old people defining your society you end up with an old society. This is my point
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast