Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    That totally depends on whether you observe it from a "wider perspective" or from a "Bavarian perspective". Down here, we term everyone who isn't Bajuvarian or Alemannic as "Prussians".
    You bring up an interesting point. You mention Bajuvarians and Alemans as being non-Prussian. Where are those groups? And what exactly are Prussians- I thought that they were technically Saxons that moved Eastward and conquered Slav/Balt land? What is the sub-German tribal breakdown? Are Frisians considered German, Dutch, or just Frisian? Are Swabians Alemans? Are Hessians Saxons? Neidersachsens are Saxons, but the Germans in Sachsen aren't really Saxons- what are they? What are Rhinelanders and Westphalians?

Even though I am fairly knowledgable about German history, this information is difficult to find in English language resources. I'd really appreciate it if a German could explain the tribal divisions. A double thanks if you can recommend reference material on this topic.

Maybe part of the dual use of the name Prussian comes from the fact that the Elector of Brandenburg of the House of Hohenzollern couldnt be called King of Brandenberg as it was part of the Holy Roman Empire, on marrying into Prussia which wasnt under the durisdiction of Austria, he was able to call himself King in Prussia.
    Hie empire of Brandenburg and Prussia was originally called Brandenburg Prussia with the capital being Berlin in Brandenburg, after a while the Brandenburg part of the name was dropped so Prussia, the became the original Prussia plus the state of Brandenburg.
    As the House of Hohenzollern increased its influence over other German states most of northern Germany became part of the Kingdom of Prussia, extending right over to France.

So, you have the real Prussians who lived in Prussia which is now Poland, and the majority of other Germans who might also be called Prussians, due to the fact that allthough they lived in differant parts of Germany, they where in the expanded Kingdom of Prussia.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 @ 10:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian X Anglo/Celt
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Back to Boilermaker/weldering
    Politics
    not the Greens
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Poland & Russia
    Tasmanian twice the heads!!.......twice the intelligence!?

Last Online
    Sunday, December 12th, 2010 @ 03:06 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Prussians

A friend of my maternal grandfather had family origins in Stargard, which is east of the Oder River. But, as Hauke Haien, pointed out, any Germanic communities that once existed in what we now call Poland are long gone. Also, my high school German teacher hailed from East Prussia, and you better believe that they hauled a@$ to get out of there b4 the Russians showed up. Here in Milwaukee, there is an annual Germanfest in July, and there are groups there with Prussian roots who have maps and other info available to the public to peruse. If anyone is ever in Milwaukee, the German capital of the US, in July, stop in and visit there. I don't have any blood connections to Prussia, and to me Prussia is east of the Oder, but they suffered greatly at the the hands of the victorious Allies, like other Germans. My great-grandfather was a cavalryman in the German Army of WWI, and he wore the notable helmet with spike on the top, which is classic Prussian (although he hailed from the Duesseldorf region-which was technically part of Prussia pre-World War I).

It all comes back together again, doesn't it? I don't recall the thread, but someone referred to how the Germans would have done just fine, thank you, if the US had not stuck their noses into the European theater during WW2. It would have been tough, but in the end, the Germany would have defeated the USSR. Germany lost Prussia because the US just had to save their Zionist Euro brethren. I say, let 2 sides duke it out man to man. The fact that the US, Britain and France rolled into an undefended Germany from the west says NOTHING about the military skill or heart of the Allied forces. In the end, the Amis had to do what the Germans were only trying to do in the first place: terminate the Soviet threat. The best the we (the Americans) could do was to point nukes at Russia and create a standoff. The Germans actually tried to go in and clean out the stable. Say what you will, but it seesm to me that the best we can do is to fight others who ahve a hand tied behing their back, which makes us (the Americans) not too gallant. On the behalf of my American countrymen, I say to you, Germanics in Europe, Prussians included, 'Ich tut mir leid'-we betrayed you

Last Online
    Saturday, August 13th, 2011 @ 03:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    German, English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralf Rossa View Post
    Maybe part of the dual use of the name Prussian comes from the fact that the Elector of Brandenburg of the House of Hohenzollern couldnt be called King of Brandenberg as it was part of the Holy Roman Empire, on marrying into Prussia which wasnt under the durisdiction of Austria, he was able to call himself King in Prussia.
    Hie empire of Brandenburg and Prussia was originally called Brandenburg Prussia with the capital being Berlin in Brandenburg, after a while the Brandenburg part of the name was dropped so Prussia, the became the original Prussia plus the state of Brandenburg.
    As the House of Hohenzollern increased its influence over other German states most of northern Germany became part of the Kingdom of Prussia, extending right over to France.

So, you have the real Prussians who lived in Prussia which is now Poland, and the majority of other Germans who might also be called Prussians, due to the fact that allthough they lived in differant parts of Germany, they where in the expanded Kingdom of Prussia.
    Thanks for the response. I know about the history of the state of Prussia (AFAIK, the name "Prussia" came from the Batic tribe that lived in what became German East Prussia at the time of the arrival of the Teutonic Knights); I'm asking about the tribal (for lack of a better word) identification of the people of Prussia (Brandenburgers and east, not the territory in Western Germany that came under Prussian control in 1815) . Did Prussian Germans consider themselves to be members of, say, the Saxon "tribe" living in the Prussian state, or did they consider themselves to be Prussian, a seperate and distinct German "tribe." My question to the Germans is about the underlying "tribal" identities that underly the modern German states rather than asking why Southern Germans call Northern Germans Prussian.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 @ 06:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseWarrior View Post
    I understand that after Germany's territorial losses in WWII many Germans were forced to leave the ceded territories and their numbers are all but gone today.

What I want to know is if people who can be labeled as "Prussian" still exist in any large numbers. Any demographics, statistics and the like would be helpful.
    This is rather funny. What's "Prussian" to you? What I find to be even more ignorant is that only several people here so far acknowledges that the original Prussians were a Baltic People, NOT Germanic.

I will re-state and re-phrase the statement. You all need to understand that the original and true Prussians were NOT Germanic but BALTIC. In fact, it can be argued that many of these Prussians that you all speak of are just Germanized Balts who lost their cultural identification through colonization before and after the fall of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, many resemble the Baltic and Aistin 'sub-races'. If you can even use such a term.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I was doing my best to try to distinguish them from the Poles and Russians and what not who have displaced the Germans who were living there.

I honestly don't know much about the migration patterns of these sub-races or how they mixed and so on, but that is why I am here, to learn

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    East Prussian are far from being extinct.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 @ 06:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...bes_c_1200.svg

Baltic Tribes

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...m%C5%BEius.svg

http://www.ihffilm.com/herkusmantas.html

Herkus Mantas is a Lithuanian film about the BALTIC Prussian uprising against the GERMAN Teutonic Knights!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast