Religion
    HFR Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Struggling Towns Printing Their Own Cash

Struggling towns printing their own cash

In an echo of the Great Depression, local currencies with their own special flavors are popping up all over in attempts to give commerce and communities a lift.

By SmartMoney

Last year, two Detroit tavern owners were sitting at the bar, sampling their beverages and bemoaning the local economy -- no one in the city had cash, and when they did, they spent it in the suburbs. Then the pair hit on a solution: Print their own money.

It is, after all, perfectly legal for anyone to issue currency, as long as it doesn't look too much like a U.S. dollar. Thus was born the Detroit cheer, a local scrip accepted by a handful of city businesses, including a pizzeria, an electrician and a doggy day care center.

Residents can also exchange it at a few area bars for greenbacks, but the cheer is vastly more colorful. It features a chiseled, naked Greco-Roman superhero (the Spirit of Detroit) towering Godzilla-like over the city skyline, cupping a tiny family in one hand and a sunburst representing God in the other. He's a lot more fun than George Washington.

And Detroit isn't the only city sporting its own currency. Since the market tanked nearly 18 months ago, there's been an interest in local scrips not seen since the Great Depression.

Residents in tiny North Fork, Calif., just launched the North Fork share, and folks in Piedmont, N.C., spend the newly issued the plenty, a currency depicting local flora and fauna like the ever-popular turkey vulture. Brooklyn, N.Y., is preparing to launch the torch, while South Bend, Ind., is set to print what it calls MACs.

Susan Witt, the executive director of the E.F. Schumacher Society, a think tank devoted to decentralized economies, says she gets calls daily from towns across the nation looking to join the movement.

In most cases, these communities are simply looking to boost local commerce. The currency has to be spent in town, obviously, because it's worthless anywhere else. But a growing distrust of the U.S. dollar is also at work.

When the Treasury prints billions to bail out banks and automakers, people look for alternatives. These folks may look nutty now, goes the quip, but wait till the dollar goes the way of the Argentine peso. Then you'll be exchanging a wheelbarrow of cash for a bay buck, local currency boosters say.

Minting money isn't easy, of course. The Detroit bar owners spent $2,000 to print $4,500 in cheers, thanks in part to an initial run on flimsy paper. ("It costs money to make money," co-founder Timothy Tharp says.)

In North Fork, Josh Freeman and his crew spent days cranking out bills on the ancient letterpress in his garage. And once a local currency is printed, it's a struggle to keep the stuff in circulation.

Towns often find the scrip flowing to the local food co-op, which soon complains that suppliers won't take it. Until Piedmont's plenty was reissued with the backing of U.S. dollars, it was kept alive mainly by the local biodiesel seller, who used it to pay his interns.

There have been a few successes, though. The western Massachusetts berkshare is accepted by an estimated 400 businesses and has circulated to the tune of $2.5 million -- not bad for a region with 20,000 residents. The hours currency, issued in Ithaca, N.Y., is so entrenched that the local transit system is planning to accept it.

Still, University of Southern Maine sociologist Ed Collum says his study of 82 local currencies revealed a disheartening 20% survival rate. Collum favors an increasingly popular twist on local currencies: the time bank, which has residents swapping labor hours rather than cash. This newer solution lets the unemployed participate without spending money.

But a quick glance at such listings might leave you wondering what the heck is going on in these towns. At central Vermont's Onion River Exchange, services recently offered included basics such as haircuts but mostly oddities like puppet shows, trips to the dump and left-handed knitting. Among the service requests were a call for rawhide goat skins and a plea from someone named Pam, who "flushed a hair-catch thingy down the toilet and needs help getting it out."

This article was reported by Anne Kadet for SmartMoney.
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...-own-cash.aspx

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, September 6th, 2020 @ 12:21 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    648 Posts
    This reminds me of the liberty dollars, from a little while ago. If I remember right the feds seized his equipment and still have not returned it. I do know they were backed by real gold in a depository. I will see if I can look up his info.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, June 20th, 2011 @ 07:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    State
    Alaska Alaska
    Family
    Married with Children
    Occupation
    disaster mitigation
    Politics
    I want my country back now
    Religion
    HFR Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    The Liberty/Norfed dollars? Yeah, if I recall the Man seized $15 million in silver and gold bullion that belonged to citizens who had deposited with Liberty for the Liberty dollars. Didn't even belong to the parties who were arrested.

They seized silver, gold, and copper coins that had been minted also as well as paper.

Their website is still up I think.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Sunday, September 6th, 2020 @ 12:21 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    648 Posts
    Here it is I found it: http://www.libertydollar.org/
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, June 20th, 2011 @ 07:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    State
    Alaska Alaska
    Family
    Married with Children
    Occupation
    disaster mitigation
    Politics
    I want my country back now
    Religion
    HFR Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It might interest you all to note that the defendant in the case we are discussing has been "a person of interest" to the ADL and the SPLC. Just check their websites....

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think this is a good cause to fight for but generally money is a unit of exchange- not a unit of saving. As far as feds seizing gold don't let them. The economic collapse was manufactured in order to deflate prices so one could gobble up real estate at next to no cost. With an alternative currency system we would be less manipulated by such events.
    “success and survival are above all the rule of life. As such it is the highest command of moral law” –Lord Livwell (me)