Thread: Found: The Nazi Board Game That Taught the Hitler Youth How to Defeat the Enemy

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 4th, 2012 @ 01:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    United States United States
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Found: The Nazi Board Game That Taught the Hitler Youth How to Defeat the Enemy

British children of the time were playing marbles and hidding in air raid shelters.

But for youngsters under the Third Reich, this board game was invented to teach them the tactics of warfare - against a British foe.

The war time amusement, Adlers Luftverteidigungs spiel, which translates as the Eagle Air Defence Game, involves two or more players attacking enemy positions on a geographically illustrated board while defending friendly territory
    -----
    Specifically designed in 1941 to prepare young members of the Hitler Youth 'for an attack on the Fatherland', the box illustration shows a British plane being shot down by a German gunner - indicating exactly where the manufacturers thought such an attack might come from.
    ------------
    It was designed to be played by over-12s - all of whom were compulsory members of the Hitler Youth - either two individuals, or two teams from the 150-strong 'Gefolgschaft' groups which met every week.

Children aged 10 to 14 were all members of the Deutsches Jungvolk division of the Hitler Youth
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-win-wars.html
    Note:No offence is meant to our British brothers on my part by posting this.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I've found an article by the BBC from 2007 that is about similar Nazi board games:

The games include Bombers Over England, a form of bagatelle or primitive pinball where players score points for "bombing" British cities, shipping or lighthouses.

Another, based on Snakes and Ladders, sees players take their U-boats from a German port to the Royal Navy base at Scapa Flow, sink British warships and try to make it back home.

Another is a game where players drop weighted paratroopers onto a representation of the English countryside. The games are all in good but used condition, Mr Westwood-Brookes said. "You can be confident kids in Germany in the early 1940s were playing these games."
    --------
    Mr Westwood-Brookes admitted to playing the Bombers over England game. "And I managed to knock out London, Glasgow and Liverpool - and a ship in the North Sea," he said.

Read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6955249.stm
    DailyMail 2007:

In one version of bagatelle named Bombers over England, children as young as four were encouraged to blow up settlements by firing a spring-driven ball on to a board featuring a map of Britain and the tip of Northern Europe.
    -----
    The games are from a German's collection which is being auctioned in Shropshire this week because his homeland forbids the sale of Nazi memorabilia
    ------
    He said the game must have been produced early in the war as France is not marked as under German control.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ames-WWII.html

Last Online
    Monday, January 4th, 2021 @ 03:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,438 Posts
    Excellent work there, Wurfaxt - a really good read!

I'm heavily into vintage games from this sort of era and you may recall the "Juden Raus" one I put on here some time ago (in German).

Below is a link to this because it ties in nicely with these other games you've shown, although it isn't actually a "war" game dealing with military strategy as such ...

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.p...041#post983041

The website is in fact in English so you can get the rules there, along with several photos of the game itself at the bottom of the page.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Juden raus
    As a kid growing up in Germany I used to play a board game called "Nur keine aufregung";I think in England it's called "Ludo".Researching all these Nazi-era board games makes me want to buy some and play again.

Do you know where I can buy the said board games,if there are companies that make such games?

Last Online
    Monday, January 4th, 2021 @ 03:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,438 Posts
    I think it's just a question of doing online research more than anything else, Wurfaxt.
    I take it you want "Nur keine Aufregung" as opposed to Ludo? If it's the latter, there are plenty of these sets on eBay at any given time with it being such a common game but I haven't actually heard of N.K.A. and so can't help with this. I'll keep a lookout though!

As for vintage games in general, here’s a useful link that I've used in the past …

http://vzone.virgin.net/vintage.games/pelham/games1.htm

You might just find something you’re after because he gets plenty of stuff from this era but the prices certainly aren’t cheap!

Last Online
    Friday, February 10th, 2012 @ 05:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Frank (Cherusci)
    Ancestry
    Lothringen/Prussia/Galicia(ex part of Austrian Empire)
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    State
    Alsace-Lorraine Alsace-Lorraine
    Married parent
    Occupation
    employee
    Politics
    Habsburg-Lothringen für Herzog !
    Religion
    Catholic & germanic evhemerism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Eternal Bombing

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011 @ 08:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Schlesien
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Silesia Silesia
    Youth
    Occupation
    would-be historian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Wartime propaganda touches every aspect of life, so I don't know why is this so sensational. Soon the media will condemn nazis for using the toilet paper.

British children at the same time were playing at genocidal Bomber Command:

Account Inactive

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurfaxt View Post
    I've found an article by the BBC from 2007 that is about similar Nazi board games:

DailyMail 2007:

In one version of bagatelle named Bombers over England, children as young as four were encouraged to blow up settlements by firing a spring-driven ball on to a board featuring a map of Britain and the tip of Northern Europe.
    -----
    The games are from a German's collection which is being auctioned in Shropshire this week because his homeland forbids the sale of Nazi memorabilia
    ------
    He said the game must have been produced early in the war as France is not marked as under German control.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ames-WWII.html
    The text is misleading. If you take a look onto the image then it is plain on you that the "Nazi game" is obviously very British. The cities that are supposed to be bombed on this one carry names like Bremen, Danzig, Berlin and in the middle is the caricature of a Hitler head, around this Hitler head in the center there are the heads of Göring and other NS politicians. So the player can either hit a German city, or better a politician and best the "bull's eye"---Hitler himself.

The article accuses the Germans of producing anti-England boardgames while they show at least in one photograph a British anti-German game.

Thus the usual: The British press accuses the Germans of what the British themselves are guilty of as well.