Thread: Taxi Drivers Accused of Racism for Displaying Sign Saying They Are English Speaking

Funding Member
    Friend of Germanics
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 01:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    670 Posts

Taxi Drivers Accused of Racism for Displaying Sign Saying They Are English Speaking

Daily Mail (London), February 2, 2010

A racism row has broken out after a citys taxi drivers started displaying stickers in their cars saying they are English speaking.

Up to a dozen drivers have been showing off the notices bearing the St Georges Cross on the back windows of their cars in Southampton, Hampshire.

The small red and white sticker declares the cab is being driven by an English speaking driver.

But the flags have been branded racist by trade representatives, councillors and racism campaigners who have demanded they are removed.

Taxi drivers have hit back, claiming the stickers are simply a protest to force the council to make sure new drivers can speak good English.

The stickers were placed in the cars after drivers received complaints about the standard of spoken English among them.

There have also been complaints from passengers about drivers using sat navs and over-charging.

Perry McMillan, chairman of the Southampton cab section of trade union Unite, said the groups ethnic minority members had been upset by the stickers.

He said: Surely all drivers speak English. If they dont, then whats going on?

We hope that licensing officers can investigate this and satisfy the trade that this isnt the case.

Campaign group Show Racism the Red Card demanded the stickers be taken down from the cab windows.

Chief Executive Ged Grebby said: I dont have a problem with displaying the cross of St George because this is a symbol we have managed to reclaim from the far right.

But the English speaking driver part is where it crosses the line into racism.

Cab drivers have to have a command of English and there are strong racist undertones in this message.

I think the drivers should take the flags down immediately and if they dont, they should be told to by the council who licences them.

But taxi drivers have hit back at the allegations of racism.

Clive Johnson, chairman of taxi firm Radio Taxis and the Southampton Trade Association, said: These signs are not racial.

They are a protest to the council saying please make sure all new drivers have command of the English language.

There are a few drivers out there who cannot speak English and just bluff their way along.

It doesnt matter if they are Polish, Russian, French or Spanish, if they cant communicate with passengers then its a problem.

Taxi driver Peter Ford, 48, said: Its just about letting customers know that the driver will actually be able to speak English, which isnt always the case.

Fellow driver Chris Head, 49, added: I have no problem with the stickers.

Lots of customers will wait at ranks until an English driver comes along because they want someone they can talk to.

Ian Hall, chairman of the Southampton Hackney Association, said half of the groups 126 members are from an Asian background.

He added: I dont think any drivers should have these stickers in the back of their car because its racist.

If drivers have got these stickers in their back windows then they need to take them down.

Mr Hall said night trade in Southampton would collapse without ethnic minority drivers, who buy the majority of taxi plates.

The sticker issue was raised at a meeting between cab firms and Southampton City Council.

It is believed that the council would order them to be removed if it received complaints from passengers.

Chairman of the councils licensing committee Councillor Brian Parnell said the stickers were offensive.

He said: Its certainly not the image we want for Southampton.

It is offensive to drivers from ethnic minorities who form a large part of the citys drivers and without whom Southamptons taxi service would suffer.

We want to promote harmony in the city.

But it is important that taxi drivers meet a certain set of standards and one of those is the ability to speak English.

It is normal good practice for anyone working in another country to be able to speak the language of that country.

I think the problem might be that many drivers do speak English but with a heavy accent that can be difficult to understand.

Cllr Don Thomas, who sits on the licensing committee, added: Taxis and taxi drivers can form the first impression that visitors have of Southampton.

I think this is completely the wrong sort of message to be sending out in what is proudly a cosmopolitan city.

A council spokesman said: People should contact the council and let us know if they see signs and stickers being used in taxis, particularly if they find them offensive.

Currently, anyone who wants to drive a taxi must hold a British driving licence, pass a medical, undergo a criminal record check and complete a knowledge test of Southampton.

Last year council chiefs added a driving assessment and a test in basic reading, writing and communication skills.

Within six months of taking to the road, drivers must also pass a BTec qualification in Road Transport Passenger Driving.
    http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives...drivers_ac.php

Friend of Germanics
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 09:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    I don't see the issue with these "English Speaking" stickers. In fact, if they want to be "open and international" they should make a point of claiming it was a good initiative, because people from foreign countries are only made acquainted with Queen's English and not with Paki English.

The amount of times I called some hotline to complain/inquire about something in the UK but had to call back at a later time because some Paki answered, making it even harder for me since I wasn't a native (an excellent and supposedly almost accent-free but not native) speaker of English myself, was sheer annoying. So if they really wanted to adopt an "international face" then they should be damn grateful these "English-speaking" taxi drivers suddenly appeared on the scene.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lgen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklrbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergnnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)