Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: "Tell Me Who Your Friends Are and I Will Tell You Who You Are"

  1. #1
    Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Siebenbürgerin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Location
    Hermannstadt
    Gender
    Age
    34
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Posts
    2,761
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    240
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    507
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

    "Tell Me Who Your Friends Are and I Will Tell You Who You Are"

    Have you heard this saying? What is your view on this saying? Should peoples be judged by their friends?

    Here an article on friendship:

    Friendship for many, to include scholarly individuals, is actually some sort of an informal category without specific limitations or boundaries. Like when you say a person is a friend, you do not say that he is your friend in school, or he is your friend in the office or a friend in any category of undertaking. Usually, friendship would indicate mutual relationship that you give and take for each other with a time span that will always depend on each party concerned.

    The degree of friendship would usually be dependent on the circumstances that resulted to such relationship. The degree of friendship with a classmate at school will be different than the degree of friendship with a neighbor friend. Even in work, the ties of friendship a person has with his co-employees in an office work will be different from the ties of friendship between soldiers. In most cases, the degree of dependency among one another in a particular undertaking, would measure the degree of friendship among them.

    Friendship for that matter takes on many forms like casual friends whom you may consider already as friends even when you have just meet them once, twice or thrice in a gathering, long time friends, people you have known since you were young like your neighbors, and best friends like your close in barkadas or groups that you are always with and shares with you whatever they have and you, whatever you have, in return. These sharing between best of friends are not only limited to material things but also would include spiritual and emotional sharing like keeping and advising your friends in keeping up with their faith and other emotional problems that they have. These sharing of all aspects of your daily life, sometimes you use friendship sms text messages, lovely friendship sms that will cause to deepen the friendship between your groups of friends.

    There are, however, a lot of people who uses friendship as a tool for self advantage. The sad thing about these kinds of people would be the fact that once they have gained their purpose because of the friendship that they were able to establish they just as suddenly junk the friends that helped them in the first place. These people are those that can be considered as friendship for advantage gals and guys. There are also those who will only make friends with people who share with them their passion.

    These people are those that we can categorize as people who look for selective friendship. People in this category can be persons who are into different hobbies or undertakings that they value so much that once they know you have the same kind of aspiration would then try to consider you as a friend in such kind of an undertaking. For example, a person with a passion for horses can easily make friends with a person in the horse breeding business. And if you are a SCUBA enthusiast, you can make friends easily with an underwater photographer once you chanced to meet each other.

    These kinds of friendship actually, are not only related to hobbies like playing with your mobile phone, sending sms messages, sharing love text and other special skills that a person has to make friends with other persons sharing with him interest in the same field of endeavor. These can also be true to even negative habits such as drinking, gambling and womanizing. This is precisely why we have this saying, "Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are."
    The source:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Tell-Me-Wh...Are&id=1207363

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Dropkick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Waterford
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    402
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    Have you heard this saying? What is your view on this saying? Should peoples be judged by their friends?

    Its true gernerally. Theres a universal law of like attracting like and that applies to friendships too.


    If you just met a girl on a night out and didn't really know her. And then if you met her friends and they were behaving with a lack of class it would probably be likely the girl lacked class too.


    It also explains why friendships fade away as people change. Like 2 friends growing apart as one matures and the other remains immature.

  3. #3
    Progressive Collectivist
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Agrippa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Location
    Asgard
    Gender
    Politics
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Posts
    6,968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    These people are those that we can categorize as people who look for selective friendship. People in this category can be persons who are into different hobbies or undertakings that they value so much that once they know you have the same kind of aspiration would then try to consider you as a friend in such kind of an undertaking. For example, a person with a passion for horses can easily make friends with a person in the horse breeding business. And if you are a SCUBA enthusiast, you can make friends easily with an underwater photographer once you chanced to meet each other.

    These kinds of friendship actually, are not only related to hobbies like playing with your mobile phone, sending sms messages, sharing love text and other special skills that a person has to make friends with other persons sharing with him interest in the same field of endeavor. These can also be true to even negative habits such as drinking, gambling and womanizing. This is precisely why we have this saying, "Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are."
    Thats more often true for males than for females, because males usually "do something together", have the same interests or activities quite often and define friendship more often based on that, whereas females have the "emotional bond" quality much more often, this is directly related to the sex based differences and being also reflected in other personality type differences like schizothymic vs. zyklothymic, which largely equals to the male vs. female difference, just adding to it in the same direction, so the most extreme being male-schizothymic vs. female-zyklothymic.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

  4. #4
    Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Sól's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Gender
    Posts
    311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    131
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    To a degree I think it's true but we must be careful as it could send mixed messages. If someone hangs out with drug addicts or prostitutes, is it because that person admires the lifestyle? Or is it because s/he's not a very judgmental person?

    On the other hand, people can be naive about their friends quite often, they don't always see their true face.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Blod og Jord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Posts
    778
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    236
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    533
    Thanked in
    299 Posts
    Unless someone has a very hidden lifestyle from everyone, his own little secret, I think it matters who your friends are. Your choices speak much about you and why wouldn't they?
    Being friends with someone means accepting them as they are, hence you either accept their disgusting lifestyle or just don't care about it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 26th, 2017 @ 08:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Gender
    Posts
    101
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Its true gernerally. Theres a universal law of like attracting like and that applies to friendships too.


    If you just met a girl on a night out and didn't really know her. And then if you met her friends and they were behaving with a lack of class it would probably be likely the girl lacked class too.


    It also explains why friendships fade away as people change. Like 2 friends growing apart as one matures and the other remains immature.
    But some say that "opposites attract". You can sometimes be drawn to someone who's completely your oppsite.

    I also have friends from my schooldays that are not like me at all but yet we have remained friends over the years. I guess our friendships have become some sort of habit that's hard to break.

  7. #7
    Progressive Collectivist
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Agrippa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Location
    Asgard
    Gender
    Politics
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Posts
    6,968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    But some say that "opposites attract". You can sometimes be drawn to someone who's completely your oppsite.

    I also have friends from my schooldays that are not like me at all but yet we have remained friends over the years. I guess our friendships have become some sort of habit that's hard to break.
    It always depends on the recombination. There are social relationships based on "weak aspects of the own personality".

    F.e. a very shy-introverted but well organised-logical person with a very extraverted-prosocial and disorganised-emotional person in a friend- or partnership as the "classic" recombination.

    Getting even stranger when the body type is typical too in this regards so thick & thin...

    These are rather ancillary relationships which can sometimes work out, but often not. One person searched for the weak aspects of him-/herself in another one or has a very limited choice and therefore the less attractive (in the sense of "demand and supply") partners "meet" each other.

    Both is possible, the active search for the difference or the meeting by chance, then more often in the unfavourable position for a wider choice.

    Obviously the larger the group, the more likely different personalities will be present and ancillary relationships, which is just natural.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Dropkick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Waterford
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    402
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    But some say that "opposites attract". You can sometimes be drawn to someone who's completely your oppsite.

    I also have friends from my schooldays that are not like me at all but yet we have remained friends over the years. I guess our friendships have become some sort of habit that's hard to break.
    Opposites never attract. Thats a bit of a myth.

    You'll get people in relationships who have almost everything in common, the same outlook on life etc. The only difference is one might be extraverted and the other introverted and because of that people will say they're opposites. Using that logic an extroverted homeless man would be a perfect match for an extroverted millionaire business woman.

    Sometime when very different people do get togethar the relationship doesn't last too long because their differences create friction. If theres no friction in the relationship then the two people get along togethar and so they can't be opposites.

  9. #9
    Member
    weybrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 @ 11:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German-Swiss
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    professional driver
    Politics
    non-affinated
    Religion
    non-judgmental
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Tell Me Who Your Friends Are.........

    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick
    You'll get people in relationships who have almost everything in common, the same outlook on life etc. The only difference is one might be extraverted and the other introverted and because of that people will say they're opposites. Using that logic an extroverted homeless man would be a perfect match for an extroverted millionaire business woman.
    O.K....This is my first time at attempting to include a Quote. So let's see...
    I risk going even further off-topic by attempting to clarify this quote.
    This is what I've been able to deduce from this so far, cryptic tho' it may be...
    Example #1. Everything in common, including outlooks on life, etc.
    Exception: One Extrovert
    One Introvert
    Considered opposites by others , but actually
    a perfect match.
    Example #2. Everything opposite, including outlooks on life,etc.
    Exception: Both Extroverts
    Considered a perfect match by some, but actually
    complete opposites.
    Now, here's where I need help..You need to know that I've been considered by some to have a cranial density just slightly less than an anvil, so, that being said, I fail to see any logic, fractured, or otherwise, nor can I detect any resemblance of reason. Honestly now, is it just me?
    Das Dicke Ende Kommt Noch

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Dropkick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Waterford
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    402
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weybrecht View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick

    You'll get people in relationships who have almost everything in common, the same outlook on life etc. The only difference is one might be extraverted and the other introverted and because of that people will say they're opposites. Using that logic an extroverted homeless man would be a perfect match for an extroverted millionaire business woman.
    O.K....This is my first time at attempting to include a Quote. So let's see...
    I risk going even further off-topic by attempting to clarify this quote.
    This is what I've been able to deduce from this so far, cryptic tho' it may be...
    Example #1. Everything in common, including outlooks on life, etc.
    Exception: One Extrovert
    One Introvert
    Considered opposites by others , but actually
    a perfect match.
    Example #2. Everything opposite, including outlooks on life,etc.
    Exception: Both Extroverts
    Considered a perfect match by some, but actually
    complete opposites.
    Now, here's where I need help..You need to know that I've been considered by some to have a cranial density just slightly less than an anvil, so, that being said, I fail to see any logic, fractured, or otherwise, nor can I detect any resemblance of reason. Honestly now, is it just me?
    The point I was making is that being extrovert or introvert etc is only part of who you are. Person A might be 99% similar to person B but sometimes people notice the 1% and think that person A and person B are opposites.

    Person A and person B might like all the same things and have the same hobbies but - for example - at a party person A is extroverted and the life of the party while person B is shy and sitting in a corner. People who don't know them would look at them and say they're complete opposites even though they'd have most things in common.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Saturday, June 16th, 2018, 12:02 PM
  2. "False Friends" in the German Language
    By Phlegethon in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Monday, June 6th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •