CINCINNATI -- In the wake of a massive recall announced last week, Toyota is suspending U.S. sales of several models.

Many dealerships are just now finding out about it and those who own the cars are trying to figure out what it means to them.

"They had requested you take the floor mat out of the front driver's side, and that they would be in contact with me later on how they were going to fix the problem," affected Toyota owner Jerry Arove said.

The recall is spurred by a problem with the accelerator pedal sticking while in operation.

The order from Toyota affects more than 4 million car owners. The auto giant is also recalling more than 2 million more cars.

Toyota announced Tuesday that it will halt production at five of its manufacturing facilities, including one line at the Georgetown, Ky., plant.

"I have a fair amount of confidence in Toyota. This is my third Avalon -- I've been very pleased," Grove said.

However, some Toyota owners aren't nearly as happy.

"A neighbor of mine called me and said, 'Did you know your car has been recalled?' And I said, 'Are you kidding me,'" Toyota owner Debbie Loewenstein said.

The move leaves car dealerships scrambling to put the brakes on sales of the vehicles that are affected.

Car owners said they are hoping the huge recall is a small problem and a quick fix.

"They send us Christmas cards, you'd think they could call us and say, 'Hey, you know there's been a real problem with your car,'" Loewenstein said.

The Japanese automaker said the sales suspension includes the following models: the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Owners with questions can call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

Source

Good news I guess for GM, Ford & Chrysler. It also shows that the Japanese are imperfect. This appears to be an engineering problem, so the fault lies in Japan. But many of the Toyata vehicles sold in America are assemble in america so some US workers will be affected.