Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Munster Rugby Players

Since we're doing teams heres some of the regular Munster rugby players from Munster (south west Ireland).

Tony Buckley 6'5" 130Kg

James Coughlin 6'1 107Kg

Keith Earls 5'11 90Kg

Jerry Flannery 5'11 100Kg

John Hayes 6'4 128Kg

john Forgarty 6'1 104Kg

Marcus Horan 6'1 110Kg

Denis Leamy 6'2 108Kg

Paul O'Connel 6'6 112Kg

Donnacha Ryan 6'6 108Kg

Donnacha O'Callaghan 6'6 112Kg

Ronan O'Gara 6'0 84Kg

Tomás O'Leary 5'11 86Kg

Alan Quinlan 6'3 105Kg

David Wallace 6'2 105Kg

Dave Ryan 6'0 113Kg Take a guess!

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just wondering, is Munster suppose to be the most Celtic part of Ireland? Because most of these aren't so dark as people say the Celts on Ireland are, except maybe two of them. I've never been to Ireland so I admit having no real idea of what people look like there, except of what I have heard.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Méldmir View Post
    Just wondering, is Munster suppose to be the most Celtic part of Ireland?
    That would probably be Connacht. However, there isn't really any great difference in appearance between one part of Ireland and another. There is a minority of Mediterranean looking people in every part of Ireland, but it isn't as if you drive cross a bridge on the Shannon and then suddenly everyone looks like they've just gotten of a Spanish Trawler.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just wondering, is Munster suppose to be the most Celtic part of Ireland? Because most of these aren't so dark as people say the Celts on Ireland are, except maybe two of them. I've never been to Ireland so I admit having no real idea of what people look like there, except of what I have heard.

Its the part with the most Bruenns according to a chart I saw. Connacht in the west would be similar to Munster.

Interesting you say that because I get the impression sometimes that when theres a dark element in any population people say its Celtic. Last week somebody said theres alot more small bald guys in London because its more Celtic. For years there was somebody here called OneEnglishNorman who spent most of his time convincing people Irish people were to blame for the 'darker' areas of England.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Its the part with the most Bruenns according to a chart I saw. Connacht in the west would be similar to Munster.

Interesting you say that because I get the impression sometimes that when theres a dark element in any population people say its Celtic. Last week somebody said theres alot more small bald guys in London because its more Celtic. For years there was somebody here called OneEnglishNorman who spent most of his time convincing people Irish people were to blame for the 'darker' areas of England.
    Iberians also say this, I've seen some that say that all Irish Celts are dark, while the redheaded and fair ones are all Viking descendants...

I always used to think Irish looked like most other northern Europeans, it's mostly after I became interested in anthropolgy that I have seen people describe Irish as dark. Maybe the truth is somewhere inbetween, but I trust the sayings of you Irish posters.

Some guesses:
    Alan Quinlan: Atlanto- Med
    Tomás O'Leary: Trönder

Many others seem Bruenn, while that is maybe not to strange since they are probably more likely to build the mass needed to play rugby.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Iberians also say this, I've seen some that say that all Irish Celts are dark, while the redheaded and fair ones are all Viking descendants...

I always used to think Irish looked like most other northern Europeans, it's mostly after I became interested in anthropolgy that I have seen people describe Irish as dark. Maybe the truth is somewhere inbetween, but I trust the sayings of you Irish posters.

Haha I've heard that Viking descendant line too but the redhead gene is in Irish genes more then any other country. I think the redheads in Scandinavia show part 'Celtic' descentants. I use the term Celtic losely. I'm guessing there'd be more redheads in Norway and Iceland then Sweden?

I don't know where this theory of Irish people being dark comes from. Irish people are pale (the pinkish skin) and mostly light eye colour with brown hair mostly.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Haha I've heard that Viking descendant line too but the redhead gene is in Irish genes more then any other country. I think the redheads in Scandinavia show part 'Celtic' descentants. I use the term Celtic losely. I'm guessing there'd be more redheads in Norway and Iceland then Sweden?

I don't know where this theory of Irish people being dark comes from. Irish people are pale (the pinkish skin) and mostly light eye colour with brown hair mostly.
    There ought to be more redheads in Norway than in Sweden, considering the large Trönder-compnent, where read-headedness is not so uncommon. In the part of Sweden I live, I'd say redheads are about 4-5% of the population (this includes all shades of red).

But I'm not sure that has anything to do with Celtic/Gaelic ancestry, Scandinavia would be the part of Europe with the least of that (except Iceland).

I thought very vanilla white skin was common in Ireland as well, with darker hair. I've seen some Icelanders that look that way too.

Last Online
    Monday, May 30th, 2011 @ 10:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cohee
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    electrical engineer
    Politics
    immoderate
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Haha I've heard that Viking descendant line too but the redhead gene is in Irish genes more then any other country.
    There are also a bunch of stories that attribute red hair being common trait among the Norman settlers in Ireland. I am baffled by the heritability and anthropology of hair color in different populations. Anthropologists have noted that the working lower classes of Glasgow appeared to trend towards darker hair as the city grew with industrialization. This was an anomaly compared to the rest of the countryside. Maybe characteristics such as hair color might be influenced easily by social effects? That would fit with OneEnglishNorman's claim of dark Irish since those of Irish descent would be mostly represented in the lower working classes of London.

Also, I always wondered why classical descriptions of the Germanic peoples noted a predominance in red hair:

For my own part, I agree with those who think that the tribes of Germany are free from all taint of intermarriages with foreign nations, and that they appear as a distinct, unmixed race, like none but themselves. Hence, too, the same physical peculiarities throughout so vast a population. All have fierce blue eyes, red hair, huge frames, fit only for a sudden exertion. They are less able to bear laborious work. Heat and thirst they cannot in the least endure; to cold and hunger their climate and their soil inure them. -Tacitus
    Of course the "huge frame" fits in with a classification of a Faelid rather than a Nordid.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There ought to be more redheads in Norway than in Sweden, considering the large Trönder-compnent, where read-headedness is not so uncommon. In the part of Sweden I live, I'd say redheads are about 4-5% of the population (this includes all shades of red).

But I'm not sure that has anything to do with Celtic/Gaelic ancestry, Scandinavia would be the part of Europe with the least of that (except Iceland).

I thought very vanilla white skin was common in Ireland as well, with darker hair. I've seen some Icelanders that look that way too.

I should have said the original Europeans instead of Celtic. I don't like using the Celtic term because its more to do with culture.

There are people with very White skin. Usually redheads. The WWE wrestler Sheamus is a good example and I'm sure Donnacha Ryan below had a red beard the other week. Sometimes dark hair covers the redness.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgam View Post
    There are also a bunch of stories that attribute red hair being common trait among the Norman settlers in Ireland. I am baffled by the heritability and anthropology of hair color in different populations. Anthropologists have noted that the working lower classes of Glasgow appeared to trend towards darker hair as the city grew with industrialization. This was an anomaly compared to the rest of the countryside. Maybe characteristics such as hair color might be influenced easily by social effects? That would fit with OneEnglishNorman's claim of dark Irish since those of Irish descent would be mostly represented in the lower working classes of London.

OneEnglishNorman had that theory that it was the Irish who 'darkened' English cities. You can measure it by simply looking at all the surnames and you'll get a percentage of how many Irish are there. Its less then 10% and probably less then 5%. Also in the light eye colour chart Irish people have lighter eyes then English in general. So I wonder how that fits into OneEnglishNorman's theory. As well as that a percentage of Irish are blond or redheaded too so that furthers dents his theory.

As for darker hair colour in lower class areas. I suppose in the days before hair dye a lighter haired woman would have been preferred by the wealthier men. In the countryside people had less options to choose from.

My own opinion of 'dark' people in Britian is that you shouldn't ignore 300 years of Roman occupation. They went around raping women as they did in France to the Gauls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast