Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Méldmir View Post
    There ought to be more redheads in Norway than in Sweden, considering the large Trönder-compnent, where read-headedness is not so uncommon. In the part of Sweden I live, I'd say redheads are about 4-5% of the population (this includes all shades of red).

But I'm not sure that has anything to do with Celtic/Gaelic ancestry, Scandinavia would be the part of Europe with the least of that (except Iceland).

I thought very vanilla white skin was common in Ireland as well, with darker hair. I've seen some Icelanders that look that way too.

Méldmir, I've found something that should clear things up.

Ireland - Brünns

By means of this study it is possible to reconstruct with some probability the living appearance of the Upper Palaeolithic men. They were typically tall, broad-shouldered, large-chested; their heads were large, their browridges heavy to medium; their foreheads broad and high and high; their faces were broad and slightly flattish, the mouth large, with lips of moderated thickness and little eversion, the lines around the mouth deeply drawn, the whole lower jaw wide and deep, with a prominent chin. The nose was of moderate to large size, straight to concave-profiled, with a moderately thick, upturned tip. The hair was brown and wavy, frequently rufous, of medium abundance on beard and body; the eyes light-mixed blue. The skin was typically inclined to freckling, and very fair.

One feature for which the Irish face is famous in caricature, along with the freckles, the great malar breadth, the upturned nose, and the long, convex upper lip, is the great prominence of the chin.
    The Upper Palaeolithic people are concentrated in southwestern Ireland, especially in Kerry and Cork; just in the part of Ireland from which the Irish in America are mostly derived.

Dolichocephalic individuals who recapitulate the metrical and morphological qualities of the Cro-Magnon and Brunn-Predmost Aurignacian people are commonest in Scandinavia and in Ireland. In Scandinavia they are found concentrated along the southern Swedish coast in the neighborhood of Goteborg, and in the mountains of southwestern Norway.

The Races of Europe, Carleton S. Coon, 1939

It makes sense. So I presume the highest percentage of redheads are found in those areas.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I always used to think Irish looked like most other northern Europeans, it's mostly after I became interested in anthropolgy that I have seen people describe Irish as dark. Maybe the truth is somewhere inbetween, but I trust the sayings of you Irish posters.
    Maybe certain individuals had ulterior motives in saying so. One should probably also go to a place first, before making or accepting crazy assumptions about it. Or research/investigate it for yourself, at the very least.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Einarr View Post
    Maybe certain individuals had ulterior motives in saying so. One should probably also go to a place first, before making or accepting crazy assumptions about it. Or research/investigate it for yourself, at the very least.
    Well you need to read my posts one more time, since I never accepted anything, except that which Irish posters here on Skadi said.

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Haha I've heard that Viking descendant line too but the redhead gene is in Irish genes more then any other country. I think the redheads in Scandinavia show part 'Celtic' descentants. I use the term Celtic losely. I'm guessing there'd be more redheads in Norway and Iceland then Sweden?

I don't know where this theory of Irish people being dark comes from. Irish people are pale (the pinkish skin) and mostly light eye colour with brown hair mostly.

If you notice the darker component in Wales (not Ireland,) you can see that it's possible the Welsh/Brythonic element contributed to the dark/short/bald element one sees in parts of Britain.

Here are some Welsh Rugby players for comparison:

And Catherine Zeta-Jones is probably the most famous dark-complected Welsh person, but very Europid even though her coloring is quite dark:

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have heard that Zeta-Jones is part greek or something, though I am unsure. As for the Welsh/Cornish/etc, yes I would agree that they are perhaps "darker" (darkest of the Isles) but just as with the rest of the British Isles/Ireland, it really only seems to involve hair color.

Ireland for example has every hair color, yet brown/red/black are more prevalent than blonde when compared to Scandinavia or something, obviously. The eye color of Ireland is debatable (though it seems to be high on the lighter side), and the complexion or fairness would absolutely not be debatable as Ireland along with the rest of the British Isles are either equal to or *the* fairest/palest people in Europe. Like vampire pale.

All of that is referring to the average person anyway, not a dark outlier that one would call "black irish" etc. You can see a few examples of that in these pictures of the Munster rugby team even.

So as for "celts" being regarded as "darker," I would point to hair color as that is the only logical conclusion I could draw.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, the "dark British" don't really resemble most Iberians. Well I get my best impression on what Iberians look like from watching futbol. Most Iberians seem to be swarthier than the dark Welsh/Irish. Maybe it's different in Galicia and surrounding areas, I don't claim to know the local variations in Iberia. But it would make sense the "dark" elements in the Isles is fairer because it is in northern Europe and thus the climate would have that effect. Also the racial elements are probably different, since there are many subraces that are different in for example Ireland and Spain, and they have mixed with Atlanto-Meds and created local and unique physical appearances for the different countries.

Apparently, Catherine Zeta-Jones is 1/4 Greek. Zeta is a Greek name.
    http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/...1/lklw.00.html

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I will cut to the chase and say that many Iberians identify as celt-iberian, and while they did have a strong relation to celtic culture, they do not (as a whole) genetically match with Ireland/Scotland/England as far as micro-relation is concerned.

I am actually slightly unsure about Cornwall and perhaps Wales, as well as about two other regions located on the western coasts of Scotland and Ireland. There seems to be a correlation with those four general areas as they have the highest celtic cultural influence, with language and so on. I doubt that they match with them either, however. If anything only North/North-Western Iberia would have a link to such places (micro-relation again).

I don't want to offend anyone but I am basically trying to say that Iberians may have a complex about who they are, and are attempting to latch onto "I'm Celtic," so they can identify with the seemingly ever-popular culture and countries North of them. I have of course seen "Northernish" looking Spaniards, but I wouldn't say that they are the average.

Another thing I will just say, and possibly get people angry over is that some English nationalists will conjure fabrications about Ireland and Scotland for obvious reasons. Ireland and Scotland are both guilty of their own BS towards England in return, so I am not picking sides or saying who is right/wrong. I am just being honest.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apparently, Catherine Zeta-Jones is 1/4 Greek. Zeta is a Greek name.
    http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/...1/lklw.00.html
    Indeed it is, that interview makes a lot of sense then. She actually looks like a Greek and Welsh type combo too, to be honest.

Found this picture, her parents I believe:

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It does seem indeed as if half of Europe wants to be Celtic, it's very popular nowadays. Nothing wrong with the Celts, but it is little knowns of the old Celtic peoples that roamed much of Europe, and to me the Celts today have only survived in some regions here and there, like Brittany, Wales and so on. And these Celts are different from each other, just like Germanics differ from each other. So it doesn't really make any sense to say a Spaniard who could look Irish is Celtic since we don't know for sure what the Celt-Iberians looked like.

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Einarr View Post
    Indeed it is, that interview makes a lot of sense then. She actually looks like a Greek and Welsh type combo too, to be honest.

Found this picture, her parents I believe:

Her father does look part Greek. Her mother's hair is very dark as well, though, but of course it is possibly colored. She seems very sweet.. pity she married a jew and went hollywood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast