@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    684 Posts

Teens Have Smallest Vocabulary Ever

The dumbing down of schools and the barrage of trashy entertainment has left teenagers barely able to hold intelligent conversations says a report in Britain.

From UK Daily Mail…

Teenagers have been warned they are becoming unemployable because they use a vocabulary of just 800 words.

The limited linguistic range also consists of many made up words and ‘teenspeak’ which has developed through modern communication methods such as text messaging and social networking sites.

Today Jean Gross, who advises the Government on children’s speech, said urgent action was required to prevent children failing to find jobs because they are unable to communicate.

Mrs Goss, who last week issued a stark warning over the effect of television on children’s development said yesterday: ‘Teenagers are spending more time communicating through electronic media and text messaging, which is short and brief.

‘We need to help today’s teenagers understand the difference between their textspeak and the formal language they need to succeed in life — 800 words will not get you a job.’

The majority of teenagers should have developed a broad vocabulary of 40,000 words by the time they reach 16.

Linguists have found, however, that although they may understand thousands of words, many choose to limit themselves to a much smaller range in regular conversation and on a daily basis could use as few as 800 terms.
    http://cofcc.org/2010/01/uk-daily-ma...cabulary-ever/

A.K.A. Autobahn
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, April 12th, 2012 @ 10:59 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Gaul, England, Austria, Canada
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thumbs Down

This is hardly surprising with the rising popularity of the Marxist Negro Hip-Hop culture.

Last Online
    Saturday, September 3rd, 2011 @ 10:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Subrace
    Nordid/Alpinid
    Country
    England England
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Designer
    Politics
    Pan-European Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Every summer the mainstream media presents us with images of children (the usual multi-cult mix) squealing with delight as they open their exam results. We're constantly told by the UK teaching and educational organisations and the government, that educational standards are improving year on year. Two of my nieces left school recently with 'excellent' qualifications and one has just started at university. I'm certain they are the sort of example that the education establishment would hold up as examples of their good work. However, in my estimation they are barely literate. They are quite unable to write using correct grammar or punctuation. Conversation quickly illustrates their profound ignorance of their history, their culture and the world in general. However, they do appear to have an extensive knowledge of the intimate affairs of media celebrities and the mindless gossip surrounding them. Sometimes it makes me despair for the future. Meanwhile every year teachers celebrate their 'successes' and 'improving' results. I'm sure that the powers that be are delighted to be turning out such compliant drones.
    “It was intended that when Newspeak had been adopted once and for all and Oldspeak forgotten, a heretical thought should be literally unthinkable, at least so far as thought is dependent on words”

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian X Anglo/Celt
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Back to Boilermaker/weldering
    Politics
    not the Greens
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I am forever trying to get my kids to use "proper" English rather than some mish mash rubbish......time will tell
    Tasmanian twice the heads!!.......twice the intelligence!?

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 12:27 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    My school has taken action on that. Before we have study hall, we read for about 15 minutes. The school claims that the reading skills area has improved, and the test results prove this.

The problem is that a lot of teenagers just don't have the interests that say, I would have. They instead prefer watching television, playing too much "Xbox", and never once considering of just sitting down one night and read a few pages in a book.

Poorly developed novels like Twilight are being directed at teenagers, and very few have been introduced to pieces of literature which have much more sophistication and gripping stories than the mentioned above example. It's all really awful that teens are being exposed to such rubbish, hence why their vocabulary has so deteriorated or gained little improvement.

There are a lot of good pieces of literature out there, teenagers just need to be more often exposed to these and their interests need to be fed. Expecting a teen to read a history book is hard to come by nowadays, so we need to first fuel their interests in such subjects by first introducing them into the realm of fiction, with gripping stories and characters of fascination and inspiration. And having very terrible teen novels isn't where you start. The ideas, characters, plots, ect... aren't very well developed, and an undeveloped novel won't get a teenager with still a developing mind very far.

They need novels or short stories of literature with solid characters and solid plots, and stuff in them that would lead them into a larger realm of reading. The point of this post is that teens are still developing in their minds, and so they need a good guide to help them in their mental development. And I think a good story is where you start.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 8th, 2020 @ 03:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Environmentalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Indeed, it's hardly a surprise. The next generations will be our future. I'm appalled more isn't done to reverse this trend and turn them into real decent people.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    A few points to make. 1) a lot of it is in the blood and the blood is going downhill. 2) schools today and TV and so on emphasize trivia. Memorize useless facts. Look at shows like "are you smarter than a fifth grader" or "who wants to be a millionaire" all the questions are based on trivia "What color socks did Tim Allen wear on July 15, 1979". It is useless memorization. Studies have proven that when you fill your head with one thing you have less room for another. You fill your head with useless trivia you have less room for real intelligence. It is a method of dumbing people down. Hitler even speaks against this kind of learning in Mein Kampf. We shouldn't memorize dates and other things but rather have an understanding of historical events and their consequences/impacts on modern times. We should practice logic and general ideas not memorizing facts. I'll give an example: when I took spanish class in school I expected to explore lingustic ideas. To compare and contrast differences in the two languages, explore grammatical principles, word structure etc. Nope. All we did was memorize phrases without ever knowing what the individuals words mean or how the grammar works. "This phrase means 'where are you from'" and so on. Same thing with Chemistry- we memorize the atomic weight of elements and such which is something no chemist would do- he would consult a chart. We are tested on memorization and we have little understanding of actual chemical processes or their consequences or any reasoning skills.

SCHOOL ACTUALLY MAKES YOU DUMBER! Though again if they focused on reasoning abilities minorities and the stupid would fall behind. Studies have shown that people of various I.Q.s have roughly equal memorization abilities. In fact smarter people will become bored at such and probably do worse in school. It's a Marxist school system that rewards the stupid with high marks.

A few American statistics.
    Statistics on the American population:
    http://www.readfaster.com/education_stats.asp

* Nearly half of America's adults are poor readers, or "functionally illiterate." They can't carry out simply tasks like balancing check books, reading drug labels or writing essays for a job. (source: National Adult Literacy Survery of 1993)
    * According to the
    Committee on Preventing Reading Difficulties in Young Children of the National Research Council, 1998
    The educational careers of 25 to 40 percent of American children are imperiled because they don't read well enough, quickly enough, or easily enough.

* 33% of children in California will not finish high school. even though...
    * Since 1983, more than 10 million Americans reached the 12th grade without having learned to read at a basic level.
    * More than 20 percent of adults read at or below a fifth-grade level - far below the level needed to earn a living wage
    * Approximately 50 percent of the nation's unemployed youth age 16-21 are functional illiterate
    * 44 million adults in the U.S. can't read well enough to read a simple story to a child

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 13th, 2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,432 Posts
    SCHOOL ACTUALLY MAKES YOU DUMBER!
    This is a quite true, Rainman!

Whether by accident or design, most schools do indeed have this effect (unless we're talking about the private institutions to which all politicians etc. send their own kids). I personally feel it's done intentionally to keep the population stupid and compliant, and would explain why the authorities tend to be hostile towards any form of "home-schooling".

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    They don't seem too hostile towards home schooling so long as you teach the curriculum they want you to teach and the child can pass a standardized test. Which really you can teach the material in half the time or less that a normal child spends in school. The rest of the time can focus on your own curriculum.

I think part of it is that public schools aren't turning out leaders or the elite. They are turning out the slave class. School teaches you to believe what you are told, be obedient, take orders well, and have good work ethic. it doesn't teach you think, have initiative, question authority or norms etc.

I think it is both design and chance. Overall though even our elites are degenerating from what I can tell. Our schools basically went to sh*t once they decided that everyone needs an education. Prior to 1950 or so well obviously minorities had their own schools, and most lower class whites were expected to drop out and work on the farm. Now days the goal is to graduate everyone from high school. Which really doesn't make sense. Basically they are learning the same material they did when they dropped out at 13, it's just taking them longer (I don't think they are mentally capable of learning much more) this is just having the effect of holding back the people who were capable.

Really in the modern system the people who really get screwed the worst are the middle class. They are being pulled down into the ghetto with all the trash for the most part. The elites have their private schools and such. It's the same with income. The rich are richer than ever, the poor are doing better than ever with their welfare. It's the middle class who are losing everything and all the good paying jobs disapearing. Basically we are heading towards a Mexican or Brazillian state. What they used to call "second world". I don't think there will be any 1st world countries left the way we're going. But basically in second world countires 95% of the population is poor and uneducated, it's not safe to go anywhere in public, but there are a handful of wealthy elites behind walled in mansions and towns with a handful of private universities, schools etc. I somehow think that when we reach that state almost all of this elite will be Jewish.

Even community colleges are starting to become a joke. Seems like anymore it's impossible to better yourself or rise up in status unless you come from a rich family. What really fueld our success in the past was that people with ability could rise up and contribute something to society. Once we lose that merit based incentive all of society goes down hill- including for the wealthy. I suppose they wont care though when they can hire a housekeeper for 5 cents an hour

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 08:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon & Swedish
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I think another reason teenagers are losing their vocabulary is because they have to interact with members of other races, who often have a poor command of the English language. When they talk to an immigrant, they have to use simple words, and grammar is not important. I have confused my colleagues from time to time by using words they are not familiar with. Some recent examples which spring to mind are as "equanimity", "acrimonious", "nepotism", and "contiguous".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast