Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshireman Found to Share DNA with African Tribes

Yorkshireman Found to Share DNA with African Tribes

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...-C1-Headline-6
    "Human migration history is clearly very complex, particularly for an island nation such as ours, and this study further debunks the idea that there are simple and distinct populations or races," he added.
    So because one related group of men (out of the entire Yorkshire population) is found to carry this "West African" marker, it is proven that there are no distinct populations and we are all just mongrels?

A pathetically absurd conclusion to make, yet the ignorant masses will lap it up.

I wonder how much Professor Jobling is paid to come out with this nonsense?

Last Online
    Monday, April 6th, 2009 @ 07:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    GermanoCelt
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Single and Lovin' it!!!!!
    Occupation
    Healthcare
    Politics
    Right Wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: African lineage found in Yorkshire men

It's multicult bullsh*t. As for Britain being a mongrel nation, Anglo Saxon and Celt is mongrel enough for me and my family, thanks.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 01:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    670 Posts

Yorkshireman Found to Share DNA with African Tribes

John Revis has always considered himself a true Yorkshireman who was proud of his ancestry.

But he has been forced to confront an entirely different heritage - after scientists uncovered that he has exactly the same DNA imprint as a tribe of African warriors.

Scientists last week announced the discovery of the first proof that slaves brought to Britain by the Romans left behind a distinct genetic heritage.

This strand was revealed to exist among just seven men with a particular surname hailing from the North of England.

However, the academics refused to disclose the identities of any of those men included in the study.

Now The Mail on Sunday has discovered that all of those with the African lineage have the surname Revis.

Last night, John, 75, a retired surveyor living in Leicester, said: "I started looking into my family history and traced my ancestors back to the mid-1700s.

"One line went to the States and became very successful while my immediate line stayed in the North of England and were mostly bakers. There was nothing to suggest that I was African."

John responded to a newspaper advert by Leicester University asking for people who have traced their ancestry to give DNA samples for a study on world populations.

He said: "The scientists took some of my DNA away for analysis and then one day they called me up and were very excited. They said I had a Y-chromosome that was extremely rare. I was flabbergasted. I had no idea that I was so culturally unique. But I am not going to start eating couscous and riding a camel."

John is attempting to take the discovery in his stride. He added: "It was a shock to find out that, because I was so blond and blue-eyed when I was younger, people thought I was Nordic or German.

"But the researchers said that if my DNA were examined then people would assume they were looking at a North African man.

"I suspect there must have been some big Berber tribesman who came to Britain with the Romans and spread his seed all over Yorkshire."

John is married with three children and six grandchildren. The news shocked his friends at Brookfield Bowls Club in Leicester.

He added: "It is a very white establishment which can be a little awkward in a multi-racial place such as Leicester.

"At least now they can say they have got one more ethnic-minority member but I doubt anyone would be able to pick me out. His wife Marlene was also taken aback."

She said: "I can hardly believe it. John has always seemed very English to me. He likes his roast beef and Yorkshire pudding on a Sunday. He has never asked me to cook anything unusual. My friends think our news is hilarious.

"The closest John ever came to the traditional Berber life was when he went camping with the Scouts. I don't think we've been in a tent since we got married.'

Scientists from Leicester University made the finding during research sponsored by The Wellcome Trust. They were examining the relationship between the male, or Y, chromosome and surnames.

Like surnames, the Y-chromosome is passed from father to son, virtually unchanged through generations.

Professor Mark Jobling said: "We found John was in the A1 group of Y-chromosomes, which is very rare and highly west African-specific.

"This study has shown what it means to be British is complicated and always has been. Human migration history is very complex, particularly for an island nation such as ours. This study further debunks the idea that there are simple and distinct populations or races."

Over time, the Y-chromosome accumulates small changes in DNA sequence, allowing scientists to study the relationships between different male lineages.

The surname Revis is believed to derive from Rievaulx Abbey in Yorkshire. Berber comes from the Latin word for Barbarian.

Fellow researcher Turi King said: "Our findings represent the first genetic evidence of Africans among 'indigenous' British people."

She added that Africans were first recorded in northern England 1,800 years ago, brought by the Romans to help defend Hadrian's Wall.

Ms King said: "The slave trade was responsible for the influx of Africans in the 16th and 17th Centuries. By the last third of the 18th Century there were 10,000 black people in Britain.

Previous studies of British genetic diversity had found no evidence of African Y-chromosome lineages."
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ican-tribes.do

Last Online
    Thursday, June 17th, 2010 @ 08:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    What a ridicules article this is. As if Berber equals Black and as if intrusion in ones parental line during Roman times would make one Berber or become considered ethnic minority as they mention. Amusing if it was not that simple propaganda like this detaches people from their real racial and ethnic ties. I guess by this logic most african americans are in fact white

Last Online
    Friday, March 30th, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    This genetic test doesn't prove anything about other Britons. You can pick out induviduals anywhere in the world and find something weird. But genetic tests that have been made on thousands of people, show that the people in Britain have been there for thousands of years, and are not some Africans.

Last Online
    Sunday, August 19th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Mr. Revis has a Y-DNA haplogroup found almost exclusively in North Africa. That is a tiny tiny tiny percentage of his ancestry in all likelihood. If it weren't for the fact that it is in his direct paternal line I would call it completely meaningless.

The sad part of all this is that they are duping common people who have no idea how Y-DNA works that this man is somehow a Berber. The way they tossed around words and terms like "ethnic minority" and having a "unique culture" is horrible. Mr. Revis is not "Berber", "African" an "ethnic minority" nor of a different culture than any other Englishman from Yorkshire.

She said: "I can hardly believe it. John has always seemed very English to me. He likes his roast beef and Yorkshire pudding on a Sunday. He has never asked me to cook anything unusual.
    FACEPALM. This poor woman clearly has no idea what she is going on about.

To me, Mr. Revis is not a bit less English than any other Englishman. The media is purposely misinforming the gullible public about what these DNA tests truly mean in order to push an agenda....
    "This study has shown what it means to be British is complicated and always has been. Human migration history is very complex, particularly for an island nation such as ours. This study further debunks the idea that there are simple and distinct populations or races."

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 09:50 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I believe this B.S. about as much as I believe Jesus was born on Christmas.
    The media is trying to get white men to question whether or not its better to be black then it is to be white.
    People who read and believe this also worship that wigger Eminem.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 05:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    yeah the media is pretty much all lies and propaganda directed at uneducated people.

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    This is weird but I could swear Revis is a Black name. By that I mean it is one of those surnames that I identify as be most often born by a Negro then a White, like Washington. I did a quick check & the only Negro I could find with that name was an NFL player named Darrelle Revis. But Revis is not a common name & I know I have heard of Negroes with that name - I think in Virginia or North Carolina. A check at World Names Profiler shows that Revis is most common in South Carolina & North Carolina. I think it is likely that the Revises with the West African DNA are in fact descended from an African slave that came into England from America as a personal servant - some 18th century aristocrats liked having African or East Indian servants because they were exotic. And with the absence of a Negro community, along with the resulting bias that the Whites would have had toward Negroes & miscegenation in a society like Virginia, the Negro slave intermarried into the White community.
    Last edited by Æmeric; Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Typo.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts
    If it is just the Y-chromosome one generation of daughters alone would solve the problem .

However the wording of this article reads like multi-racial propaganda. This about something that happened so long. And based on reading the article in extremely low numbers that would hardly have any impact at all for the present. This is more like the article stated we are all part of the same human race talk we hear to often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast