Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olav View Post
    How exactly do you know what the Americans think?
    I'm very bright and I found a way.

But I mean how smart do you have to be to notice and count the times Americans say a Scottish accent is 'Irish'? If I could be bothered, I'd find an example for you now. In fact, I'm actually going to put the time in, because I'm considerate that way and I care:

So you'll probably want to skip to 14:29. Pay special attention at 15:06. If you concentrate your mental powers of clairvoyance, you should be able to tap into his deepest subconscious and find some indication he thought a Scottish was an Irish. Or maybe this ability is unique to me

But the American in the vid isn't a retard by any stretch. He's also of Scottish descent. If he made the mistake, then pretty much every American dumber and less Scottish than he probably also makes the same mistake.

I don't see why you're always so quick to jump to the conclusion that we dislike you English as a whole.
    Probably because it's all certain Scottish members talk about.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2012 @ 02:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BjrK View Post
    Imho you should classify yourself as scottish then of they accept you. Since the woman marry into the mans clan so to speak. This is how most men consider it. A swedish woman mating with a non-swedish male will never be considered Swedish and have left our people in my book.

If she mated with a groid she can go live in the djungle, good riddance.
    What about a Swedish man "mating" with a non-Swedish woman, has he left your people as well?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BjrK View Post
    Since the woman marry into the mans clan so to speak. This is how most men consider it.
    At any rate, most Scots probably wouldn't snub at you if you were a non-Scot male marrying a Scottish girl and proceeded to wear her family/clan tartan, either, so to speak; as you're still sort of "marrying into the clan".
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Saturday, April 8th, 2017 @ 09:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamar Fox View Post

But I mean how smart do you have to be to notice and count the times Americans say a Scottish accent is 'Irish'? If I could be bothered, I'd find an example for you now. In fact, I'm actually going to put the time in, because I'm considerate that way and I care:

So you'll probably want to skip to 14:29. Pay special attention at 15:06. If you concentrate your mental powers of clairvoyance, you should be able to tap into his deepest subconscious and find some indication he thought a Scottish was an Irish. Or maybe this ability is unique to me
    Ok, so what you're saying is that you're going off of what one single American YouTube blogger has to say? That’s probably not the best idea and is quite laughable that you even attempted to use him as a means to base your reply off of. Perhaps you need to go pay a visit to America before you form an opinion again. Here’s another thought: If you can find an American here at Skadi that wants to talk to you, go talk to them about the subject. That way you’re actually gaining information from an individual who has more creditability than that of “The Amazing Atheist.” It’ll also make you look better next time.

But the American in the vid isn't a retard by any stretch. He's also of Scottish descent. If he made the mistake, then pretty much every American dumber and less Scottish than he probably also makes the same mistake.
    Most Americans have lost their European culture throughout the years. This guy in the video is clearly one of those people. I'd be surprised if he would be able to point to Scotland on a map without having to quickly Google the answer beforehand.

Oh is that so? Perhaps you can fill me in, because there are only about 3 other Scots here and I always find time to read their posts. The funny thing is -- it’s actually you, to be specific, who brings us Scots up and finds a way to complain about us.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm very bright and I found a way.

That's your proof? Not one single American I speak to has EVER confused me with someone from Ireland, or said that I sound Irish. Ever.

Certain Scottish members? What about the English members who hit out at is Scots, huh? The English should know that hitting out at Scots is not a very bright idea, pal.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As a (North) American, I can assure you, it is common to befuddle and confuse the terms. British, Scottish, and Irish, English, Welsh, and the UK are terms which cause much confusion, especially in the USA. I have seen people confuse Scottish and Irish before. I have also seen someone try to find Ireland on a map and point to Italy, so, I am sure it happens.

The English are not commonly mistaken for Irish or Scottish or what have you though (well, people who speak with a southern or RP sounding accent at least), but it's common to use British as a synonym for English.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 @ 01:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English/German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can say from both online and personal experience that Americans do indeed generally have the accent deciphering ability of a Shetland pony. A German friend once had some "in Soviet Russia food orders you" joke shouted at him while ordering some food in an America fast food place, I think all of our IQ's were lowered slightly through sheer contamination on that trip..

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 08:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    American of Northwestern European descent
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Sweden, Colonial America, Luxemburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliite View Post
    I can say from both online and personal experience that Americans do indeed generally have the accent deciphering ability of a Shetland pony. A German friend once had some "in Soviet Russia food orders you" joke shouted at him while ordering some food in an America fast food place, I think all of our IQ's were lowered slightly through sheer contamination on that trip..
    How many of your posts have had the sole purpose of bashing Americans? Find a more constructive obsession.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 3rd, 2012 @ 09:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    ScotchIrish/Irish/English/Norwegian
    Ancestry
    ScotchIrish/Irish/English/Norse
    Subrace
    Kelto-nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Georgia Georgia
    Fiercley loyal to family.
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Philosophy of Liberty
    Religion
    I Am
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad this won't apply in the U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Witta View Post
    Scottish people are to be officially recognised as a distinct ethnic group under new guidelines for monitoring racial and ethnic equality.

The Scots, the English and the Welsh, will now be able to affirm their national identity on official forms. Census forms and job applications have until now only allowed groupings like Asians, Chinese and Africans to specify their ethnicity.

The move should result in closer monitoring of how Scots are treated. It is also expected to make job hunting fairer enabling greater racial equality in the workplace. The new move will also crackdown on public sector employers to promote racial equality. Private companies will also come under close scrutiny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3387749.stm

This is cool. Whenever we fill out "optional" ethnic statistics attached to ANY paperwork we have to fill out, it always has "African American, Asian, Pacific Islander, Arabic, etc." and even now has subraces of hispanics listed! But then they always have the singular choce of "Caucasian/White (non-hispanic)" as a choice.

I have been getting offended by this for a long time now, and whever they have the option "other", I take it and list an extensive and specific description of my ethnic Identity, and often encapsulate it with the opposing politically correct generalization of "Northwest European American" after my full description.

It is bullcrap that they are allowed to encapsulate so many different ethnicities and genetic classes under the term "white", INCLUDING the Jews, Italians, etc. I don't know how it is in Europe, but in the US, being white means having no heritage but the products we consume and that we are all the same bunched in with the immoral and heartless likes of the jews (or at least that is what they want to convince us and the world).

Also, why do they still refer to white people as caucasian? If we did that to other races, the blacks would be called Negroids and the Asians would be called Mongoloids, which is also what people call downs syndrome people.

Arrgghh!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olav View Post
    Ok, so what you're saying is that you're going off of what one single American YouTube blogger has to say?
    I was a little frightened you'd reply with this, but I thought to myself, "Nah, there's no way in hell he'd do it." Looks like my fears were realised.

So please point to where I said my entire conception of the issue was based on this one instance of Scottish-Irish confusion. It's -- get this -- an example. I'm not going to spend hours, probably days and weeks in fact, tirelessly searching through vlog after vlog, or forum post after forum post to find a second, third, fourth example. I used one example to illustrate my point. I've seen dozens of like incidences, but my memory isn't so immaculate I can recall exactly when and where.

That’s probably not the best idea and is quite laughable that you even attempted to use him as a means to base your reply off of.
    Yeah, I thought there was no way you'd assume that the guy wasn't a mere example, rather than my entire case. Like I said, I have too much faith in people sometimes.

Perhaps you need to go pay a visit to America before you form an opinion again. Here’s another thought: If you can find an American here at Skadi that wants to talk to you, go talk to them about the subject. That way you’re actually gaining information from an individual who has more creditability than that of “The Amazing Atheist.” It’ll also make you look better next time.
    Oh boy, this condescension really looks ridiculous now in light of my (needless, to most people) above clarification. Ouch, fella. Just ouch.

Btw, if I were relying on TAA for facts about the world, then his 'credability [sic]' might be remotely relevant, but obviously when I'm taking about mistakes Americans often make, the 'credability [sic]' of those Americans doesn't make the slightest difference. Unless you're saying TAA isn't a credile representative of himself.

Oh is that so? Perhaps you can fill me in, because there are only about 3 other Scots here and I always find time to read their posts. The funny thing is -- it’s actually you, to be specific, who brings us Scots up and finds a way to complain about us.
    The only other posts I've made about Scots lately are these:

I voted Celts. They're fully NW European and I already have some minor Celtic ancestry that I know about, not to mention the natives my Anglo-Saxon ancestors probably mated with. I also have a favourite second cousin who's half Scottish and I already do accept her. I wouldn't accept any other group, though.
    It means one parent is Scottish and one isn't. Scots are no less a group than any other nation. If you can say half Italian, half Polish etc. then you can say half Scottish.

All groups are the same. No nationality/ethnicity on Earth has just one tribe in its genetic history.

Neither Celts nor Germanics are a racial group. But both are NW European and hence are racially similar or overlap genetically.

It's not something I've ever done. On racial issues, I only ever refer to NW Europeans.
    Whoops. They seem pretty pro-Scottish to me. I mean, please, if you want to try 'pwn' someone, you might want to try your luck with someone pwnable. That isn't me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast