Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post What Makes Us Age?

What makes us age? (Natural mechanism)

Is aging inevitable?(Are there ways to stop or even reverse aging)

How is aging delayed(What steps can be taken to slow down aging)

As far as I know antioxidants can "slow" down aging. Eating 50% less in calories increased the life span of rats by 2 fold but that doesn't seem practical in humans. Some Scientist is actually doing this using himself as a human "gineau pig".

Could stem cells be used to increase human life?

Personally I think someday scientists are going to discover a way to drastically slow down aging. Aging seems to be the only thing technology hasn't allowed us as of yet to conqueror. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could live for for thousands of years instead our emphermal 70. Imagine one would be able to observe, evolution, ice ages, rise and fall of empires.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 10th, 2005 @ 09:15 PM
    Subrace
    Galician/Lombardian/Genoese
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    what does Politics mean?
    Religion
    Religion of Romans
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Re: What Makes Us Age?

I too believe one day technology will be able to stop growing old. As for now through, I think one of the best ways to stop yourself from getting old is laughter. I have noticed how older people who are happy and joke around seem and look younger than serious and stressed people their age.
    Just close your eyes...can you remember
    The generations not so long ago
    I feel the shameless urge that we must restore
    Our former king to his rightful throne
    And with me lords and maidens
    We wait for the chosen son's return

I come alive
    It's a time for celebration
    Our will to restore
    Make our past become the futre once more

Still he lives! 2000 years have passed
    And still we're yearning for his return
    We fulfill a wishful prohecy
    And so the chanting begins
    Hail Caesar...Hail Caesar...we render unto you
    What is still yours

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 12th, 2005 @ 11:45 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid-Baltid (Aistin)
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    college student
    Politics
    Environmentalism and eugenics
    Religion
    occultism & Nature worship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

argh I wrote a really long, detailed reply to this thread and the server crashed right as I submitted it. I shall resume my efforts when I am less tired.

Last Online
    Monday, July 31st, 2006 @ 12:10 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Executive
    Politics
    Live and let live.
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nanotech - cellular repair, DNA repair - strong possibility. Chemical intervention, i.e. - antioxidents probably somewhat effective. Lengthening telomeres a possibility. Virus vectors....matched organ replacement. Probably a whole catalog of things. Problem is I am too old...will have to freeze myself.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 7th, 2009 @ 06:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Franco-Norman
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Occupation
    University Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I am quite sure since WILL find a way someday if we continue to "progress" the way we are now. But I, for one, am against it. Nature gave us our specific lifespan and we should NEVER mess with the natural that is for sure. Examples of this can be seen all around us. Everyday we live the consequences of our attempts to "fight nature" and everyday we try to find more technology to "fill the holes" we are constantly creating in our natural course. Going against nature and what is natural will only further deepen the hole we are living in. In my eyes it would make more sense to go with what is natural than to further complicate matters (putting the lives of humanity and our people in its entirety at risk) by quickly mending the past mistakes we've made all the while trying to keep the new ones at bay. Instead of just driving the car slowly out of the deep snow we are spinning our wheels at hyperspeed all the while pouring the salt underneath to melt the snow...without realising that it just turns the snow to ice. I do hope people come to their senses quickly.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The Development of Technology itself manifest Man's innate desire to Control Nature. And how does one control nature except by going Against it?

I am quite sure since WILL find a way someday if we continue to "progress" the way we are now.
    In my opinion aging will never be stopped, just slowed down drastically.

But I, for one, am against it. Nature gave us our specific lifespan and we should NEVER mess with the natural that is for sure.
    What determines a lifespan, except by the conditions one Lives under. Just a Century Ago the average life span for people living in America was just 50. Nowadays that number has gone up to 75. Is this what you would deem as "Natural"?

Examples of this can be seen all around us. Everyday we live the consequences of our attempts to "fight nature" and everyday we try to find more technology to "fill the holes" we are constantly creating in our natural course. Going against nature and what is natural will only further deepen the hole we are living in. In my eyes it would make more sense to go with what is natural than to further complicate matters (putting the lives of humanity and our people in its entirety at risk) by quickly mending the past mistakes we've made all the while trying to keep the new ones at bay. Instead of just driving the car slowly out of the deep snow we are spinning our wheels at hyperspeed all the while pouring the salt underneath to melt the snow...without realising that it just turns the snow to ice. I do hope people come to their senses quickly.
    Imagine what it would be like if we stopped trying to fight nature.

I agree that Technology and man's desire to subdue Nature has had some negative results.

But if you ask me with the "Good comes the Bad with the Bad comes the Good." The questions becomes is technology worth the price we are paying for it. To me the answer would be a Definite yes.

I think before one should deem something as "Negative" one must answer the question why.
    Could you explain why you have a Negative feeling about the Extending human life through the use of Technology?

Last Online
    Thursday, May 7th, 2009 @ 06:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Franco-Norman
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Occupation
    University Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The Development of Technology itself manifest Man's innate desire to Control Nature. And how does one control nature except by going Against it?
    I don't believe we do have some "natural desire" to control nature. At least not until the christian era. As for that, why should one desire to control nature?

In my opinion aging will never be stopped, just slowed down drastically.
    What determines a lifespan, except by the conditions one Lives under. Just a Century Ago the average life span for people living in America was just 50.
    In one place you speak of "slowling down aging" and in the other you speak of life expectancy. Which one do you agree with/prefer? Slowing down aging would require some sort of medical etc. treatment I would imagine, as even to die with longer lifespans we still "decay", so to speak, at around the same time in our lives. As for slowing aging, I think this is simply ridiculous. Our desire to do so comes from the fear of death and under achievement in one life time and so we wish to extend it. Little do people realise that by slowing down aging and living muchlonger because of it our very mental state would be altered, quite possibly our creativity for the worse. Not only this but what would be the point in starting a family? Having children? You now suddenly have SO much longer, your concept of age changes etc. What would be the point in having any significant number of children if you were going to live long enough to see two centuries or so through? What makes life so precious in our current state would be changed for the worse.

As for extending lifespan not through slowing down aging. Once you hit 60 or so your body IS actually rotting/decaying. It doesn't matter if this longer life is medically induced (as it often is today) or not, the body and mind are still decaying and in most cases a person past 70 yers is of little use to society. I don't believe in modern medicine personally, I rarely use it myself and I think it only weakens us in the long run. But that is the age in which we live, an age of quick fixes without regard to consequence.

Imagine what it would be like if we stopped trying to fight nature.
    As far as I am concerned, much better. In my eyes our bodies and minds are the very reflection of nature, and in order to be in the best state for us we must follow it, not fight it.

But if you ask me with the "Good comes the Bad with the Bad comes the Good." The questions becomes is technology worth the price we are paying for it. To me the answer would be a Definite yes.
    And where exactly has that gotten us? Most of our resources are used up, the earth is dying, we've developped weapons that could completely obliterate us all from the face of the earth, we pollute ourselves with toxins, stuff ourselves with foods that should not even fall under that category, we are mixing with other races...all this mostly due to our "fighting nature" and our "new technologies". I ask you...where do you even SEE the benefits? And whatever "benefits" there might be are closely followed by a huge problem which we "remedy" withsomething else that'll drive us further into the ground.

I think before one should deem something as "Negative" one must answer the question why.
    Could you explain why you have a Negative feeling about the Extending human life through the use of Technology?
    I believe I have already touched upon "why". What would we achieve? There would be no more "urgency" to leave our legacy, we would be one step closer to immortality..thus eliminating the need for an "heir". Also consider...some of the greatest poems, music and literature was written in that "shortness" of time and in that moment of death. I think it would make us less human and less a part of OUR nature.

You are not wrong, who deem / That my days have been a dream Johannes de León's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 15th, 2012 @ 11:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Baskid
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What are the health benefits of humor and laughter?

The sound of roaring laughter is far more contagious than any cough, sniffle, or sneeze. It can be a domino effect of joy and amusement. Humor and laughter has many benefits:

• reduces stress
    • lowers blood pressure
    • elevates mood
    • boosts immune system
    • improves brain functioning
    • connects you to others
    • fosters instant relaxation
    • it's fun!!!
    "Doctor I have a ringing in my ears." "Don't answer!" - Henny Youngman

Does laughter boost the immune system?

The immune system is affected positively by laughter. People with a developed sense of humor typically have a stronger immune system. When we laugh cells that produce antibodies increase in number. T cells and natural killer cells, which attack viruses, also increase while foreign and natural cells decrease. There is a rise in the Cytokine Gamma Interferon, a blood chemical that transmits messages to the nervous system and stimulates the immune system. Dr. Stanley Tan, MD at Loma Linda University says, "All neurohormones act like an orchestra each instrument makes a particular note. Laughter makes the entire orchestra more melodious or balanced. In other words, laughter brings a balance to all components of the immune system."

The Doctor says "You'll live to be 60!" "I AM 60!" "See, what did I tell you?" - Henny Youngman

Does laughter lower blood pressure and protect the heart?

People who laugh heartily on a regular basis have lower standing blood pressure than the average person. When people have a good laugh, initially the blood pressure increases but then decreases to levels below normal. Breathing then becomes deeper which sends oxygen enriched blood and nutrients throughout the body. A University of Maryland Medical Center study found that people with heart disease were 40% less likely to laugh in a variety of situations compared to the people of the same age without heart disease. It is not yet determined exactly why laughing protects the heart but there is a correlation between mental stress and the impairment of the endothelium, the protective barrier lining in our blood vessels. This can cause a series of inflammatory reactions that lead to fat and cholesterol buildup in the coronary arteries and ultimately to a heart attack.

"The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight, because by then your body and your fat are really good friends." - Bob Hope

Does laughter give you a workout?

Laughter can be a great workout for your diaphragm, abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles. It massages abdominal organs, tones intestinal functioning, and strengthens the muscles that hold the abdominal organs in place. Not only does laughter give your midsection a workout, it can benefit digestion and absorption functioning as well. It is estimated that hearty laughter can burn calories equivalent to several minutes on the rowing machine or the exercise bike.

"You know what a red flag is to the IRS? If you have money in your bank accounts after taxes." - Jay Leno

Does laughter improve brain function and relieve stress?

Laughter stimulates both sides of the brain to enhance learning. It eases muscle tension and psychological stress, which keeps the brain alert and allows people to retain more information. Laughing also elevates moods. Striving to see humor in life and attempting to laugh at situations rather than bemoan them will help improve your disposition and the disposition of those around you. Your ability to laugh at yourself and situations will help reduce your stress level and make life more enjoyable. Humor also helps you connect with others. People naturally respond to the smiles and good cheer of those around them.

"Doctor, my leg hurts. What can I do?" The Doctor says "Limp." - Henny Youngman

Tips for adding more humor & laughter in your life

• Remind yourself to have fun
    • Spend time with those who help you see the bright side
    • Get regular doses of humor such as television sitcoms, movies, plays, or books

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

In one place you speak of "slowling down aging" and in the other you speak of life expectancy. Which one do you agree with/prefer?
    But I, for one, am against it. Nature gave us our specific lifespan and we should NEVER mess with the natural that is for sure.
    What I meant was Life Expectancy has increased due to our use of Modern Technology. So we have interfered with nature on this Level and it isn't neccearly a bad thing that people are dying at 75 instead of 50.

Keep in mind birth defects are also part of Nature. -40 degree temperatures in Canada is also part of nature. But what have people done? In the past they've made Fires now it's central heating and buildings with high effeciancy insulators. All examples of people going against Nature. Europeans aren't even supposed to be in North America.

I believe I have already touched upon "why". What would we achieve? There would be no more "urgency" to leave our legacy, we would be one step closer to immortality..thus eliminating the need for an "heir". Also consider...some of the greatest poems, music and literature was written in that "shortness" of time and in that moment of death. I think it would make us less human and less a part of OUR nature.
    Good point. But I'd think if one lives longer one would leave more Heirs. Just because a person's Lifespan may be 150 yrs doesn't mean there's no incentive to have a family. With that life span there will be more time to accumalate resources. And a longer Life would give one an opportunity to see the Achievements of one's Offspring more fully. Wouldn't that be nice? If at the age of death a person is Older there would be that much more to reflect on.

Speaking of Heirs. The Lifespan of any Organism is related to the Age of Sexual maturation the Older that Age the Longer the Lifespan.
    http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...s/A/Aging.html
    Site where Biologist Answers Questions Concerning Aging.(Pretty Comprehensive)

And where exactly has that gotten us? Most of our resources are used up, the earth is dying, we've developped weapons that could completely obliterate us all from the face of the earth, we pollute ourselves with toxins, stuff ourselves with foods that should not even fall under that category, we are mixing with other races...all this mostly due to our "fighting nature" and our "new technologies". I ask you...where do you even SEE the benefits? And whatever "benefits" there might be are closely followed by a huge problem which we "remedy" withsomething else that'll drive us further into the ground.
    Your making it sound like we going to face Aramagedon. If there's one thing humans are good at is finding a way to mend things when faced with their destruction. Nukes are the balancing forces that keep WWIII from breaking out.

If your talking about genetically altered foods. They altered for higher productivity otherwise there would be shortages.

As for racial preservation the only thing that can keep a race preserved in the longrun is Isolation. There is still hope for Canada especially a place like Quebec. I am afraid America has already crossed a line where unless drastic actions are taken there is no hope.

I ask you...where do you even SEE the benefits?
    These Toxins are a by product of things like your Car, your School Books, your Shoes...ect.

If there is anything that can be learned from History. It is that humans are Resilient.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...s/A/Aging.html
    What is Aging?
    Do all Creatures Age?
    Aging in Invertebrates
    Aging in Vertebrates
    Why Do We Age?
    1. Programmed in our genes?
    2. The Inevitable Consequence of an Active Life?
    3. Telomere Shortening?
    4. The Accumulation of Genetic Errors?
    Clues from Premature Aging Syndromes
    Why is a mouse as old at 2 years as a human at 70?
    Aging in Plants
    Last edited by Northern Paladin; Thursday, June 10th, 2004 at 07:22 PM.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts