Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    MOVE OVER THOR, MEL GIBSON IS GOING OLD NORSE
    By Devin Faraci Published 01/17/2010 News

At today's press conference for his new film Edge of Darkness, Mel Gibson let slip some info that isn't that much of a surprise but interesting nonetheless:

The Leonardo DiCaprio Viking movie he's directing will be in Old Norse. Yup, Mel hasn't met a dead language he hasn't tried to get on film.

It's important to Mel that the film be legit. 'I want a Viking to scare you,' he said gleefully. 'I don’t want a Viking to say, [Tony Curtis style] “I’m going to die with a sword in my hand.” I don’t want to hear that. It pulls the rug out from under you. I want to see somebody who I have never seen before speaking low guttural German who scares the living shit out of me coming up to my house. What is that like? What would that have been like?'

Of course the movie won't be just in Old Norse. Said Mel: 'I think it’s going to be English - the English that would have been spoken back then - and Old Norse. Whatever the 9th century had to offer. I’m going to give you real.'

It's important to note that what the 9th century had to offer was Old English, ie the language in which Beofwulf was written, so expect subtitles for even that segment of the movie.

What's interesting is that Leonardo DiCaprio is cast in this film. Will Leo be willing to learn Old English or Old Norse in order to make the movie? You have to assume that this conversation has already happened, and that he's prepared for it... right?

As for the picture: Google Techno Viking. Thank me later.

(Source)
    I was already sort of expecting this, but I was pumped about it when I read it.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So he basically wants to portray the Vikings as animal-like as he can. I thought this was something modern historians was rejecting? Will this be another Pathfinder? And the Vikings, it seems, will get the part of the "evil Germans".

Last Online
    Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 12:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think this will be like the travesty that was Pathfinder. Keep in mind, Leonardo DiCaprio is a fan of Viking culture. Surely the movie will be at least somewhat sympathetic to Vikings. However, I would imagine that the Vikings in this movie will be depicted as gruesome in part, for the simple reason that they really were gruesome in part. The question is, then, how the Anglo-Saxons will be portrayed.

What I also find interesting: Gibson indicating that the movie will be set in the 9th century. Earlier we read the rumor that DiCaprio would play Brian Boru. Yet Brian Boru lived from 940 to 1014. I see no reason for Gibson to be so nonchalant about the date. Also, it is interesting how Gibson speaks of Old Norse and Old English, yet does not mention any form of Gaelic. Does this mean DiCaprio will not play an Irishman after all?

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It depends on from what angle the movie will be. If it is from the Anglo-Saxon farmers under attack, the Vikings would appear very scary. But their language would probably not have been regarded as scarier than Old English, so I see no reason why Gibson would want the Vikings to speak "gutterly". If the angle of the movie is from Anglo-Saxon soldiers, there is less reason to make the Vikings appear scary, since they would probably not have been more afraid of them than the Vikings were of them.

If he chooses to make them scary and wild just because (like Uruk-Hai or something), then that wouldn't be realistic in my opinion, since it nowadays known they did not behave like that.

The Brian Boru thing, was a whole different film I think.

Last Online
    Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 12:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good point about how the Anglo-Saxons spoke "guttural" themselves. Although I still think Old Norse sounded at least somewhat coarser than Old English. (It's easy to equate guttural with coarse.) It might have something to do with the diphthongs in Old English, which really give a gliding, and therefore softer impression.

(By the way, I just realised how Dutch is practically the only Germanic language which kept much of the coarseness of Old Germanic.)

However, even if the speech of the Vikings did not sound quite guttural to the Anglo-Saxons, it would still be extremely scary for the average Anglo-Saxon household to hear a heavily armed man speaking Old Norse, while coming up to their door.

And I don't think Gibson will buy into the myths of wild and filthy and horned helmeted Vikings.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    mainly UP
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Natural Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It should be noted that there is a difference between Vikings and Norsemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurfaxt View Post
    Yes,but first....

After all the drama about The Passion settled down,I remember reading somewhere that feminist groups were angry at Mr.Gibson for having developed plans to make a movie about Britain's Boudica,a female warrior who led a Celtic uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire.
    He should proceed with making a movie about a white woman trying to fight back the foreign hordes.These types of films can inspire white women,especially the ones that have been wronged in the past and can watch these movies and feel inspired that there were strong,white women fighting for their country & for their race.
    Either that or he should make another movie about Indians in America.Somebody needs to show the American people that there existed tribal warfare between the Natives before whites settled foot in the US.Show that they raped eachother womens',spread disease among themselves,etc.The film should be called "Before America".

Mad Max-4 and a remake of Fahrenheit-451(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451)is in the works
    I understand the objections of kikelings and indians, but why the hell would feminists have a problem with Boudicca?

What about a movie starring Charles Martell .
    "And God proclaims as a first principle to the rulers, and above all else, that there is nothing which they should so anxiously guard, or of which they are to be such good guardians, as of the purity of the race. They should observe what elements mingle in their offspring;..." Plato Politeia

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    It mentions "Old Norse" being spoken - could they not be more specific? There's Old West Norse (Old Norwegian, Old Icelandic, etc.) and Old East Norse (Old Swedish, Old Danish, etc.), the distinction between which isn't only linguistically, but also historically-culturally important in regards to the ties practiced and directions taken during the era so romantically referred to as the "Viking Age".

Either way, now that it's been announced that this movie will attempt to be linguistically as accurate as possible, I actually can't wait until it comes out. Noted down on my (otherwise rather short) movies-to-see list.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Hĺlřyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    307 Posts
    I read that he said he would use old-norwegian, which is not the same as west-norse which we spoke in Norway and Iceland. We spoke old-norwegian in the middle ages after the viking time. Mel Gibson said he hasnt seen any good viking movies, he should check out the icelandic ones. If he would have been more serious he would have known of them for sure. As Mel Gibson is a christian man I hope he wont portray my ancestors in a terrible bad way

Last Online
    Friday, May 6th, 2011 @ 08:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian English and Swedish
    Ancestry
    Nowegian English father ,Swedish mother
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leonardo DiCaprio Pulls Out of Mel Gibson Viking Movie
    'Not a chance,' a source close to DiCaprio reportedly says

As the controversy over Mel Gibson's rage-fueled rant tapes and domestic violence probe continue to unfold, the site that has leaked those shocking recordings, RadarOnline.com reported that one of the "Lethal Weapon" actor's upcoming projects has lost its leading man.

"Inception" star Leonardo DiCaprio has reportedly withdrawn from a planned movie chronicling the exploits of Viking warriors that Gibson was slated to direct. "Not a chance," said an unnamed source close to DiCaprio.

The site claimed that the latest setback to Gibson's once-blockbuster Hollywood career — he was dropped by his longtime talent agency in the wake of the tape scandal — is another signal that the actor/director may have difficulty bouncing back from his latest scandal and regain his once high-flying star status.

The Viking film would have been DiCaprio's first project with Gibson, but the unnamed source said that the meticulous actor — who has avoided a major public scandal during his nearly 20-year long career in movies — did not want to risk his reputation by being associated with Gibson.

"Leo has earned the right to pick and choose who he works with, and Mel Gibson is not one of them," the source reportedly said. A spokesperson for DiCaprio could not be reached for comment at press time. The untitled Viking movie was being co-produced by Gibson's Icon Productions and was slated to begin shooting in the fall.

DiCaprio recently spoke to MTV News about his desire to make a Viking epic with Gibson saying, "I've always wanted to do Viking Story. I'm a big history buff and I don't think there's been a really fantastic Viking film ever made. Those were some of the most barbaric people ever in history. I'd love to see Mel Gibson's version of that. Certainly with 'Apocalypto' and some of the other films he's made he's been able to transport me back in time unlike very many filmmakers have been able to ... I'd love to see what he does with that subject matter."

In addition to the embarrassment over the racist, sexist and violent language on the tapes, Gibson is being investigated for alleged domestic violence and child endangerment over claims that he struck ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva while she was holding the couple's then two-month old baby. Detectives from the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department are also looking into claims that Grigorieva attempted to extort money from Gibson by threatening to release the tapes.

Gibson's spokesperson could not be reached for comment on the DiCaprio news; the spokesperson also has not denied that the breathless, rage-fueled voice on the tapes is Gibson.

The meltdown of Gibson's personal life has had a major impact on his public one as well, putting his upcoming projects into limbo. Among the movies currently in a holding pattern is the Jodie Foster-directed "The Beaver," a $20 million PG-13 dramedy in which Gibson plays a depressed CEO who can only communicate with his family through a beaver hand puppet. According to E! Online, the film just recently got a rating from the MPAA, but the studio behind it has not yet decided on a release date.

Also unknown is the fate of "How I Spent My Summer Vacation," which his still in production and features Gibson portraying a career criminal who survives in a Mexican prison thanks to the help of a young boy. Gibson is credited as the script author and producer on "Summer," which reportedly began filming in April, but has not gotten a release date yet.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/164...29/story.jhtml

Now Cody Billing created a Dream Cast for Mel Gibson's Viking Film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Tk6ou-Zvc

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DreamC...46285085403118

Last Online
    Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 @ 11:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland/Norway/Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Machinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm thinking the "scary" part is meant to scare the audience -- i.e. no comical Erik the Viking type bullshit. You know, portray them as strong courageous fighting machines -- which the Norse to chose to go viking would have to be, whether it was an exploratory, mercantile or raiding expedition.

I don't care if they are portryed as good guys or bad guys, as long as it's realistic -- no caricatures, no getting their asses kicked by a stone age civilization, etc.

Gibson's been pretty accurate with his other films (Braveheart, Apocalypto, even more recent stuff like We Were Soldiers), so i think this'll be a good one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast