Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    699 Posts

Blacks Fret About Film Stereotypes

Rohan Preston, Star Tribune (Minneapolis), December 14, 2009

Can the black family catch a break in the movies?

That’s what many African-Americans in the Twin Cities and elsewhere are asking in the wake of two recent films: the critically acclaimed “Precious” and “The Blind Side,” a No. 1 box-office hit that has grossed nearly $130 million since its Nov. 20 release.

o In “Precious,” based on Sapphire’s wrenching novel “Push,” an obese, illiterate black teenager is pregnant again by her father while her also-abusive welfare-recipient mother scorns her for stealing her man.

o In “The Blind Side,” which stars Sandra Bullock, an illiterate, homeless black teen is taken in by a kind white family. Under their care, he blossoms into a football star.

“I’m not saying that these things don’t happen and that they are not good movies,” said Brenda Anderson, 59, a law firm manager in Minneapolis. “It’s just that at a time when the Obamas are in the White House, it seems like there’s nothing [on screen] to reflect our proud reality. Instead, we have stories that show the black family as a total failure.”

{snip}

Intense emotions

The films have led to spirited discussions in the blogosphere and in real-world gathering in salons and book-club meetings. The intense emotions, especially about “Precious,” stir up long-dormant issues in the black community, in part because of the film’s use of color-coded characters. The movie’s victims and victimizers are dark-skinned; those offering salvation are fairer.

{snip}

With relatively few major motion pictures made about black life, those that are released bear an added responsibility to offer balanced portrayals of the values of a community, said Lindy Vincent, an avid moviegoer who owns Moxie Fitness, a Minneapolis-based personal-training business.

“These images get transported around the world and then frame a narrative of who you are,” Vincent said. “When I’m in Shanghai or Beijing and people are eyeing me up and down, I can’t tell you what they’re thinking, but I don’t want ‘Precious’ to be playing in their heads.”

{snip}

Vincent also pointed to “Milk,” the film about the killing of gay San Francisco pol Harvey Milk, as a model. “Even though the central character is killed, there is positive, uplifting momentum at the end,” she said. “With any type of black movie these days, all we seem to be getting is stuff that’s unrelentingly negative. At Christmastime.”

{snip}
    http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives...s_fret_abo.php

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    I myself am sick to death of films like Blindside that attempts to show us (White folk) that we can overcome the racial divide & color is only skin deep. However the film is based on a true story & it is a fact that many Negro children in the US end up in fostercare at a much higher rate then White children, & many are raised by White families. My aunt has a daughter who adopted a triracial boy (Puerto Rican? Dominican?) & a grandaughter who became a fostermother to a newborn Negro baby several years ago that she eventually adopted. The boy looks full Congoid.

As for Precious it is produced by Oprah Winfrey & Tyler Perry, two of the most successful Negro entertainers/entrepreneurs in America & is based on a book by the Negro authoress Sapphire.

Eala Freia Fresena
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2020 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    “I’m not saying that these things don’t happen and that they are not good movies,” said Brenda Anderson, 59, a law firm manager in Minneapolis. “It’s just that at a time when the Obamas are in the White House, it seems like there’s nothing [on screen] to reflect our proud reality. Instead, we have stories that show the black family as a total failure.”
    Even the mulatto in the White House is a total failure. Everyone of his promises are broken.

Black families are a total failure because almost none is a success. Most of the black kids grow up in a single mother parentship, blacks have the highest number of out of wedlock birth.

To watch TV and expect that it should reflect 'reality' is negroe naivite. The agenda is a different one.

It shows the total destruction of family and promotes it. They want negroe (and for that matter every other race) to have broken families. That creates traumata which can be exploited. Broken people can be easier manipulated.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Frisian.
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    North Holland North Holland
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    my own view
    Religion
    none until proven
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i've always learned that, if things don't go the way you want them to go, you can take the controls and try to do it better.
    other people can't smell what you want, the can't read your mind and know how you want it, the only one who can make it exactly how you want it to be, is yourself. and if they are too lazy to grab a camera themselves, it's not our problem.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I haven't watched those movies because I see them as propaganda. We are supposed to feel good about bringing a homeless black person into our home and making sure he succeeds.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 @ 06:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Scotland, and England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I've overheard homeless black guys in NYC say things like, "I wish I had it as good as that dog." It's like some of them want to go home with white people. And I've seen them asking school age white children for "spare change." Horrifying.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, September 30th, 2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    There's reasons why I took Modern Studies at school. There's not many good points to use, but there's a few. One of them is that I seem to vaguely recall that at some stage in the 90s, the percentage of Black children born out of wedlock approached some 46%. This number is not likely to have reduced.

So, based on that naked statistic...any of those militant Negroes care to enlighten us into how the Black family is even *near* a success?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    There's reasons why I took Modern Studies at school. There's not many good points to use, but there's a few. One of them is that I seem to vaguely recall that at some stage in the 90s, the percentage of Black children born out of wedlock approached some 46%. This number is not likely to have reduced.

So, based on that naked statistic...any of those militant Negroes care to enlighten us into how the Black family is even *near* a success?
    In what country? In America it is 70%. That is up from 20% in 1960. And practically all of those out-of-wedlock Negro babies end up receiving some sort of public assistance.