View Poll Results: Which identity do you think fits the New World best?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • A white one.

6 14.63%
  • A Germanic one.

16 39.02%
  • An Anglo-Colonial one.

14 34.15%
  • Other (please specify).

5 12.20%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The New World Identity: White, Germanic or Anglo-Colonial?

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 08:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    "Technically speaking"? Since when has there been technical definition to the term Anglo-American outside of being American of English Descent?
    Read my words again, and take note of where I say CULTURE:

"I never claimed to be a WASP, but technically speaking I'm part of the broader Anglo-American culture."

Anglo-American can be used as a broad term to define American culture in general, as I explained previously.

Last Online
    Thursday, January 4th, 2018 @ 04:54 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Anthropology major.
    Religion
    Presbyterianism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well indeed, I think all White Americans can make that claim. I can actually respect that, but I would appreciate it if it were given another term, that term causes confusion, the culture has very little do with "Anglo-Saxon" philosophies, as it is a culture characterized by hedonism and indecency, and exists all throughout the modern and industrialized world. What I view as the "Anglo-American culture" is something separate and unrelated, a culture of xenophobia, strong familial values and quiet affluence rather than boastful poverty and blatant aggressive racism.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Well indeed, I think all White Americans can make that claim.
    Yes, Anglo-American culture is basically synonymous with "White American" culture.

However, as I think most folks would agree, "White" is not exactly the most meaningful of cultural descriptors. "White" American culture has English origins and speaks an English tongue. Not Polish. Not French. Not German.

It therefore follows that "White American" culture can be more accurately described as "Anglo-American."

I can actually respect that, but I would appreciate it if it were given another term, that term causes confusion, the culture has very little do with "Anglo-Saxon philosophies"
    Actually, the philosophical underpinnings of Anglo/White-American culture have never strayed too far from the English. For instance Americans have always been much more at home with English empiricism than continental European idealism.

as it is a culture characterized by hedonism and indecency, and exists all throughout the modern and industrialized world.
    The roots of this decadent cosmopolitan culture are to be found in the establishment of the multicultural banking cartel known as Great Britain. America is actually an offshoot of this.

Anyway, hopefully America can someday regain the healthy spirit that swept the nation during the War of Independence and held the forces of internationalism at bay for roughly the first 100 years of its existence.

What I view as the "Anglo-American culture" is something separate and unrelated, a culture of xenophobia
    Not xenophobic enough, evidently.

strong familial values and quiet affluence rather than boastful poverty and blatant aggressive racism.
    You mean inbreeding, base materialism, and blatant aggressive racism towards other Germanics?

Mostly kidding here, but there is an element of truth to it.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Anthropology major.
    Religion
    Presbyterianism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer View Post

Not xenophobic enough, evidently.
    What are you implying?

You mean inbreeding, base materialism, and blatant aggressive racism towards other Germanics?

Mostly kidding here, but there is an element of truth to it.
    The "racism" toward other "Germanics" comes only from other Germanic's tendency to dwell too close for the Anglo-American's liking, if I may speak for myself. I place a Scandinavian American (Or Scandinavian period.) in no higher esteem than I do an Asian when at school or another public institution, and in matters of neighborhood, as long as my neighbor is a kind, quiet, polite and unimposing neighbor, I will view him in no lower esteem than a "Germanic" even if he is black or Muslim. Fact is however, when I meet an Anglo-American, which in the places I would be found they are not uncommon, I treat them usually far better than I do others, this is a true feeling of kinship, that kinship that members of this forum boast about, I feel almost no kinship with you (I mean this in the nicest way possible.) Furthermore purity is not much an issue when it comes to being an "Anglo-American" I feel, as long as your family has RSF, Mayflower, Virginia Colony or some such, roots, and as long as you are tracing this from at least 2 grandparents, remained within the Eastern Seaboard, and identify with and recognize the ethnic group, then you are an Anglo-American, and of course you have to be White racially, if this is the case, then even a half-Pole or even, hesitantly a half-Italian, can be considered Anglo-American. Otherwise, concerning German-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans and all other manner of eastern Germanic, American you may be, but Anglo-Colonial/Anglo-American/WASP whatever other terms you'd use to fit into this ethnic group, you are not.

That said, I also DO sometimes feel a slight kinship with other White Americans, and I at times feel pity for the narrow-mindedness that seems to plague a lot of them, and it usually translates into deep hatred of others and just an overall unpleasant presence. (This is especially true in the south.) But that's a discussion for another thread.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2012 @ 02:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, Anglo-American culture is basically synonymous with "White American" culture.

However, as I think most folks would agree, "White" is not exactly the most meaningful of cultural descriptors. "White" American culture has English origins and speaks an English tongue. Not Polish. Not French. Not German.

It therefore follows that "White American" culture can be more accurately described as "Anglo-American."
    This is how I am using or thinking of the term. More on a cultural line, though I am part English. My last name is even Anglo-Saxon, but I am not overwhelmingly English, therefore on an ancestral or "ethnic" question, I may not fit as an "Anglo-American." In all honesty I view the Celto-Germanic term as a better one to describe what I am.

I didn't vote on this one, but I accept anyone of Germanic or NW/Northern descent, and yes I know many here hate this term but I will accept most other whites as well. It may sound petty, but I do judge by appearance often. If someone visibly looks nonwhite to me, say an ambiguous Southern European, or an asiatic looking Slav, I am going to have to drawn the line there. (I am not saying that either of those two groups are all nonwhite, just some)

I am different from Bradford too; any Germanic-American in general, whether their ancestry is Scandinavian, German, Dutch, etc, or any "Celt-American" (quoted because I am undecided on what Celt means exactly, cultural or ancestral), and so on, I would and do feel very close kinship with assuming they are not stupid liberals (which would be hard to find). The people who I regard as white in general are the people I would want around me. You must also understand that barely any whites in North America for example can say that their family is of one ethnic descent (such as "just German"), almost everyone is ancestrally mixed. Again, I know many here dislike the term white, but I think it is especially valid outside of Europe.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    What are you implying?
    You stated that "xenophobia" is/was a cultural practice of old-stock Anglo-Americans.

If this were truly the case, would old-stock Anglo-Americans find themselves in the predicament they are right now? Would I even be around to debate you on this issue right now?

Obviously, they weren't "xenophobic" enough to be able to preserve Anglo-Saxon purity in the U.S.

The "racism" toward other "Germanics" comes only from other Germanic's tendency to dwell too close for the Anglo-American's liking, if I may speak for myself.
    Many non-American Germanics probably see this matter quite differently.

In any case, if you don't like other Germanics living in your proximity, you only have your own ancestors to curse for letting them in the country in the first place.

That said, I also DO sometimes feel a slight kinship with other White Americans, and I at times feel pity for the narrow-mindedness that seems to plague a lot of them, and it usually translates into deep hatred of others and just an overall unpleasant presence.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well said and True!

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    A country should have its own identity. The days of colonies are over.

I see Germanic more as a history- as roots. I want to forge a new people- new culture etc. that is better than the people around me and that lives up to higher standards and more evolved ethics and cultural practices.

Nations today are not racial nations. Other than maybe some parts of Europe it is useless to think otherwise at this point. To create a racial nation for Germanics in the New World one would have to start a whole new nation and secede from the union.

The U.S. and other nations are multicultural political governing bodies.
    Most Americans, White, Black, Yellow, Brown or Red........See themselves as "Americans".
    We are not part of a Commonwealth of English Nations.......
    We threw off that Yoke in the American Revolution.
    We will never be again a part of that Commonwealth.
    Canada, Australia, Northern Ireland, New Zealand,(Did I miss anyone?),
    all choose to be part of that Commonwealth, subject to that rulership.
    Anglo-Colonial........Not anymore. We are American.
    OBTW, India threw off the Yoke, in a slightly different way than we did.

We do speak a language similar to English. But it is distinctly different than the English spoken in the UK.

The United States is one of the few, 2 or 3, Major Military Powers in the World today.
    We have Our Own Culture, that varies a bit as you cross our Large Country.
    Many of Our States are Larger than the "Countries of Europe", which in the past held great power.
    As of this Point, our 50 States are United under one Flag and One Constitution.
    I think Americans are too Proud to ever be Subject to the Power of another, smaller Nation.
    That's the way I see it... And Feel it.
    Last edited by Grimsteinr; Friday, December 11th, 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Last Online
    Saturday, August 13th, 2011 @ 03:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    German, English
    Country
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I find that if people's lineage lies outside the United States prior to the 1850s then it's time to draw the line. You're not a WASP. Hey you know what? If you have a drop of Native blood as an Anglo-American, which is totally possible (if not, likely) in my case, then that just further illustrates the fact that we're different from other European Americans. Frankly, I just think the prestige of the group draws "Germanics" who trace their ancestry to the lesser "Germanic" nations, German Americans are not and never will be Anglo-Americans, I don't even like to consider English Americans who's families migrated recently, Anglo-Americans, they're simply put, a different breed.
    The definition of WASP includes Germans, Dutch, and Scandanavians.

Regardless, I don't agree with your position that other white Americans care to be Anglo-Americans or WASPs. My English-American roots date back to the 17th Century, but I identify more with my German-American roots (which are similarly as old).

Last Online
    Saturday, August 13th, 2011 @ 03:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    German, English
    Country
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The roots of this decadent cosmopolitan culture are to be found in the establishment of the multicultural banking cartel known as Great Britain. America is actually an offshoot of this.
    Well said.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Anthropology major.
    Religion
    Presbyterianism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runder View Post
    The definition of WASP includes Germans, Dutch, and Scandanavians.
    The definition of WASP does not include Germans or Scandinavians, albeit some people would like it to, perhaps edit a wiki entry just to feed into their desire to be called a WASP. With regards to your statement about your German ancestry, I find that people with German ancestry often falsify their lineage concerning early Colonial settlers. My old boss, Cy Schoppman, an obvious German American with potentially some Jew ancestry, used to claim to be of Mayflower descent, yet only claimed to be of German descent, probably didn't know that those on the Mayflower were exclusively English, ignorant jerk. As well, I do believe Hugh Hefner, another German-American lied about being a Mayflower descendant, and was discovered by the Mayflower society, I also have a half Polish, half German friend who made a similar claim, I didn't actually prove him wrong or anything, but I doubt if he's telling the truth, so either his German father lied to him, or he himself is lying. Fact is, my past experiences indicate an innate desire by many other Germanic-Americans, to be of Anglo-American descent.

If Scandinavians are White-Anglo-Saxon-Protestants then why aren't Estonians or Latvians or even Protestant French, Italians and Polish considered WASPs. Fact is, not only are Lutherans/PB's/Baptists/Anglicans/Pentecostals and SDA's(of course) not WASPs, simply because the only denominations that are included in the proper definition would be Methodists and Presbyterians, but even if you're an Anglo-American, if you just happen to be an Episcopalian or Lutheran, then guess what, you're not a WASP.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast