View Poll Results: Which identity do you think fits the New World best?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • A white one.

6 14.63%
  • A Germanic one.

16 39.02%
  • An Anglo-Colonial one.

14 34.15%
  • Other (please specify).

5 12.20%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The New World Identity: White, Germanic or Anglo-Colonial?

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 @ 04:02 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    British American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom,France, Germany
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid+Bruenn
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Parts Driver/Student
    Politics
    Volkisch
    Religion
    R.C.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd call the descendents of the early settlers of what's now the United States Anglo Colonial. The vast majority of many of these people( of which I consider myself a part) are descended from early English and Scottish settlers, with regional infusions of Dutch, French, Swedish and German elements, depending on the area.

Exiled "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2018 @ 09:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Schläsinger
    Ancestry
    Austro-Prussian Frontier
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Silesia Silesia
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Perhaps "White Australia Policy" was not enough too secure effective homogenity as they should of been more specific in their intentions therefore it was short lived, perhaps "Germanic or Anglo Australia Policy" would have been more beneficial as the intention of the policy is clearly shown in the title and racial criteria would automatically be implied.

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    I voted Anglo-Colonial too. As I've written in the other thread you speak about, in my view the veritable American culture is the WASP culture. The old stock American one. The peoples who preserve the German culture and language of their ancestors in the USA are a different category. They're ethnic Germans, just like the Transylvanian Saxons. But many peoples assimilated and now they're Anglo-Americans of German descent.

Canada, Australia and New Zealand are English nations too. South Africa is a mix between several cultures. I think where there is multiculturalism there should be a partition. For example an Afrikaner state in South Africa, an independent Quebec in Canada.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Thursday, January 4th, 2018 @ 04:54 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Anthropology major.
    Religion
    Presbyterianism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    I voted Anglo-Colonial too. As I've written in the other thread you speak about, in my view the veritable American culture is the WASP culture. The old stock American one. The peoples who preserve the German culture and language of their ancestors in the USA are a different category. They're ethnic Germans, just like the Transylvanian Saxons. But many peoples assimilated and now they're Anglo-Americans of German descent.
    German Americans are not Anglo-Americans, however much they wish they were.

Last Online
    Friday, March 30th, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post

Canada, Australia and New Zealand are English nations too. South Africa is a mix between several cultures. I think where there is multiculturalism there should be a partition. For example an Afrikaner state in South Africa, an independent Quebec in Canada.
    No they are self-govenerned and independent, altough part of the British Commonwealth. So is Jamaica and Bahamas, but do you consider them to be English? Is Scotland also an English nation? The English/British founded a lot of nations throughout the world, including the USA, but to me only England is an English nation, it's more than just some consitution written by some persons 100s of years ago. Of course I pay respect to the English for what they have accomplished in the past, like the ability to govern and conquer so many vast areas. But that isn't the same as saying that Jamaica or Canada is still "English", because the English more or less gave them away.

Last Online
    Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 @ 11:00 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic-celtic
    Ancestry
    Norway, Normandy and Brittany (France), Wallonia, Denmark, England, Germany
    Country
    France France
    Student
    Politics
    Racially aware
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To me, ideally, the american continents should have been a sort of miror image of western Europe, with anglo-germanic nations (Canada, USA), French nation (Quebec) and spanish ones (Argentina, Uruguay). The countries in between are just too multi-racial to include here and it would be too optimistic to think we could reverse the tide and make them white nations. I say let the mestizos have them. But the other nations mentioned here should stay white, and each should have a distinct identity defined by the racial origins of the majority.

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 02:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    German Americans are not Anglo-Americans, however much they wish they were.
    In a cultural sense 99.9999% of them are. It might sound paradoxical, but we have actually reached a stage in which some of the most ardent defenders of traditional Anglo-American culture lack any traditional Anglo-American ancestry themselves. Pat Buchanan, a Catholic of Irish-German ancestry, is a prime example of this development in American society.

I really could not care less that I have no old-stock Anglo-colonial blood in me. In fact, I appreciate the fact that I'm better able to trace my ancestry than many old-stock Americans, and as such I don't have to ponder the significance of any potential or confirmed Indians in the family woodpile.

Quote Originally Posted by Méldmir View Post
    If it was to be Anglo-Colonial, wouldn't 99,999% of the American population have to reorientate, and be replaced by Anglo-Saxons who were born in England in modern times?
    Not if we speak of "Anglo-American" only in a cultural sense.

In modern times, "Anglo-American" culture is probably best viewed as an amalgamation of several different Celtic and Germanic cultures, forged together in the crucible of the American experience. So while the foundations of Anglo-American culture are of course English, its survival is not really dependent on the continued presence of pure-blooded Englishmen, if you know what I mean.

Maybe the English of today could create a new USA under British control, and make sure the culture and loyalty do not change or disappear.
    That's out of the question.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Anthropology major.
    Religion
    Presbyterianism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I find that if people's lineage lies outside the United States prior to the 1850s then it's time to draw the line. You're not a WASP. Hey you know what? If you have a drop of Native blood as an Anglo-American, which is totally possible (if not, likely) in my case, then that just further illustrates the fact that we're different from other European Americans. Frankly, I just think the prestige of the group draws "Germanics" who trace their ancestry to the lesser "Germanic" nations, German Americans are not and never will be Anglo-Americans, I don't even like to consider English Americans who's families migrated recently, Anglo-Americans, they're simply put, a different breed.

The way I see it is, you're a WASP or Anglo-Colonial, or whatever term you'd like to use, if your family predominantly has been protestant since they've arrived in the Americas, and if you are Dutch, English, Scottish, Scots-Irish, or French Americans since colonial times. Otherwise please just accept that this is one group that you do not belong to, within the Germanic community.

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 02:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    I find that if people's lineage lies outside the United States prior to the 1850s then it's time to draw the line. You're not a WASP.
    I never claimed to be a WASP, but technically speaking I'm part of the broader Anglo-American culture. I don't care to argue about semantics, however. Whatever the case, I certainly am American.

The way I see it is, you're a WASP or Anglo-Colonial, or whatever term you'd like to use, if your family predominantly has been protestant since they've arrived in the Americas, and if you are Dutch, English, Scottish, Scots-Irish, or French Americans since colonial times. Otherwise please just accept that this is one group that you do not belong to, within the Germanic community.
    You break my heart.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Anthropology major.
    Religion
    Presbyterianism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer View Post
    I never claimed to be a WASP, but technically speaking I'm part of the broader Anglo-American culture. I don't care to argue about semantics, however. Whatever the case, I certainly am American.
    "Technically speaking"? Since when has there been technical definition to the term Anglo-American outside of being American of English Descent?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast