• 3/4 English 1/4 other European

14 6.83%
  • Half English, Half other European

25 12.20%
  • Less than half English, but fully British

4 1.95%
  • Less than half English and not fully British

16 7.80%
  • I have both other British and other European ancestry (explain)

15 7.32%
  • Other

20 9.76%
  • Half English, half other British

17 8.29%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How English Are You?

Last Online
    Sunday, April 17th, 2011 @ 05:58 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Norman
    Ancestry
    Normandy/Scotland/England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Missouri Missouri
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Retired Soldier
    Politics
    Anarchist/Most government is bad
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like I'm English

As far back as I have been able to trace my family on both sides, it looks like we are Norwegian, Scottish, and English.

Half of my dad's family are from Northumberland, which is about as far north as one can get and still be English, although they have more in common with the lowland Scots than English of other regions. The other half were Norwegian.

My mother's family are Anglo-Normans, who came originally from Norway by way of Normandy, and Scottish. The Scots were from Cumberland.

I was always told growing up that we were part viking and that our ancestors came from Norway; research has borne that out.

Last Online
    Monday, October 24th, 2011 @ 03:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boer born is South Africa
    Ancestry
    German/French/Dutch
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Queensland Queensland
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Teacher
    Politics
    Conservatism
    Religion
    Christian Reformed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I want to be devil’s advocate for fun. Proof me wrong.

I’m sort of Ango-Saxon related, but I’m 100% NOT English.

If you look at what Anglo and Saxon means you will see why. As I understand it, the Anglos are the white faces (probably Flemish/Dutch) and the Saxons are German. The combination is English?

The English people used to say Afrikaans in SA is kitchen Dutch. Using the same criteria, English can be called kitchen German.

Some English king’s(?) wife was from the lower middleclass and she taught the princes to speak Anglo-Saxon. He(?), when he became king, made Anglo-Saxon (English) the language of the royal court and we see the result of it today.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 28th, 2011 @ 11:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Flemish
    Ancestry
    East Anglia, Vlaanderen
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My ancestry has gone back to the beginning of the Norman era due to being a descendent of Flemish and Norman Viking lords and an illegitimate child of Henry I.
    However, all the records are in Norman or Middle English. I can't read it to go back further as I can't find someone to translate Norman for me at the moment.
    Also goes back to Ulster where it goes dead in the 1800s. Not sure why.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karlstar View Post
    My ancestry has gone back to the beginning of the Norman era due to being a descendent of Flemish and Norman Viking lords and an illegitimate child of Henry I.
    However, all the records are in Norman or Middle English. I can't read it to go back further as I can't find someone to translate Norman for me at the moment.
    Also goes back to Ulster where it goes dead in the 1800s. Not sure why.
    I noticed you selected 'less than half English and not fully British'. This makes little sense, given what you stated. If your 'foreign' ancestry is Norman, then we're talking roughly 1000 years ago. Do you have any idea how many living ancestors you had 1000 years ago? Millions. Those Normans and Flemish (presumably along your patrilineal line) were just a couple out of a million or so living ancestors of the time, meaning that unless they bred exclusively or even primarily with other Norman-descendants (which is very unlikely), then you're no less English or more Norman than anybody else.

It's a strange mistake that people make to associate with the paternal lineage to the neglect with all others, and somehow feel their paternal lineage is somehow more refelctive of their overall make-up.

The only way what you voted could be correct is if your Ulster heritage is very recent (i.e. one parent was 100% Ulster).

Last Online
    Thursday, November 10th, 2011 @ 02:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    north east england yorkshire
    Subrace
    Tronder
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    half english north east england yorkshire on mother side and half spanish on father side and my subrace is Germanic Tronder with strong cromagnid component like my mother same type as actor Ewan Mc Gregor

my father is Alpine Med + Dinarid

Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2011 @ 04:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    Destiny
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Roughly half English and half Irish.

My father and mother both have a parent who came over from Ireland. Wikipedia has my surname under the category "Gaelic families of Norse descent".

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 25th, 2011 @ 06:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Franco-American
    Ancestry
    Frankish, Langobard, Scots, Norman, Goth, Bretagne, Bavarian, English.
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Happily married
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Unusual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devils__Advocate View Post
    100% English.

From genealogical and DNA tests I can proudly say I am one of the elite.
    Which DNA test would this be? And do you have any Keltic in you, are you entirely Anglo-Saxon, or do you mean you have Norman-Anglo-Saxon blood without a trace of Keltic?

I'd assume you mean no Norman ancestry either, since the Norman conquerors had all taken French wives, including William himself (my ancestor). I am also descended from Alfred the Great (Anglo Saxon), but he and his descendants interbred with Kelts.

Once in the United States (Jamestown, 1621), my English ancestors married only English until my great grandfather married the daughter of a German family (with its own coat of arms), and then that Half-English/Half-German grandmother of mine married a full-blooded German.

But, that full-blooded German (for a variety of reasons) distanced himself culturally from his family (Mennonite) and embraced my grandmother's British ways (as did the German woman who married into the family). Being English was very important to them, culturally.

On my paternal side, the situation is even more complex, Frankish, Scots, Kelto-Roman, pure Keltic, tiny bit English. But again, the English cultural values prevailed in our family.
    Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.
    ~~Immanuel Kant~~

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
    Which DNA test would this be? And do you have any Keltic in you, are you entirely Anglo-Saxon, or do you mean you have Norman-Anglo-Saxon blood without a trace of Keltic?

I'd assume you mean no Norman ancestry either, since the Norman conquerors had all taken French wives, including William himself (my ancestor). I am also descended from Alfred the Great (Anglo Saxon), but he and his descendants interbred with Kelts.

Once in the United States (Jamestown, 1621), my English ancestors married only English until my great grandfather married the daughter of a German family (with its own coat of arms), and then that Half-English/Half-German grandmother of mine married a full-blooded German.

But, that full-blooded German (for a variety of reasons) distanced himself culturally from his family (Mennonite) and embraced my grandmother's British ways (as did the German woman who married into the family). Being English was very important to them, culturally.

On my paternal side, the situation is even more complex, Frankish, Scots, Kelto-Roman, pure Keltic, tiny bit English. But again, the English cultural values prevailed in our family.
    Why do keep posting the same stuff? Why does it offend you that some people feel fully English?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 25th, 2011 @ 06:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Franco-American
    Ancestry
    Frankish, Langobard, Scots, Norman, Goth, Bretagne, Bavarian, English.
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Happily married
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Unusual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamar Fox View Post
    Why do keep posting the same stuff? Why does it offend you that some people feel fully English?
    It doesn't. I've had my own genetic testing done - and I'm giving my background because that's what shows up in my testing.

However, the autosomal testing kits I've had do not in fact look at thousands of markers - just a handful. My tests cost in the range of $300, I know there are new ones out there that are in the $900 range - but even those cannot give you your "full inheritance." I can't imagine how one could get much further back than 8-10 generations of *complete* genealogy - in our case, as I keep mentioning, we have hired professional genealogists.

My point is that my great grandmother had a strong claim to being "full English," but we have genetic tests on her as well - and there are no markers that indicate "full English," only that she is 99% European with a strong amount of markers from the Isles. I know of NO test that will exclude the proportion of gene markers that come from outside of Europe and I know of NO test that could show a person to be 100% British.

That's why. I'm a bit of a stickler for detail. Why does that bother you, might I ask?

If it's a matter of cultural pride to state that one is 100% something, that's fine - but I am very interested in the science. If there's a kit out there specifically for "English" markers, I'd sure like to know about it.
    Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.
    ~~Immanuel Kant~~

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
    only that she is 99% European with a strong amount of markers from the Isles.
    What was the other 1%? Statistical noise?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast