Thread: Is there an equivalent between Christmas and Yule?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Is there an equivalent between Christmas and Yule?

I've seen on TV the story of a mixed couple, American Christian-Jewish. They celebrated a mix between Christmas and Hanukkah to reconcile the two traditions of their families. For example half of the Christmas tree was the Christmas tree, and the other was a Hanukkah bush.

Is there an equivalent between Christmas and Yule? Do members here celebrate both traditions if you've Christian family members? What's your view on mixed holidays?

Last Online
    Friday, March 30th, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Scandinavian Jul is basically a mix of the Christian and Heathen tradition already. So yeah you could say I celebrate som sort of mix.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts
    The Christian holidays like Christmas and Easter are already rooted in Pagan traditions.

I think mixing between two different religions is not ok. New concepts like Chrismukkah are ridiculous.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 09:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Family is amongst the most important things for any Heathen, blood is stronger than water. But you cannot choose the faith of your siblings and parents, you cannot even properly lead them to it if you haven't already been brought up in it. Many of them may only call themselves Christian because of habit, but fact is they do it out of habit and celebrate things a Christian way because of habit.

Despite their wontness to celebrate things in a Christian manner, it is more important to celebrate things in the circle of the family. What have I reached by the values of my faith if I have an authentic Yule festival but have broken with my family over it? Exactly, nothing. Besides the point that about 60-70% of the traditions around the festival have roots in pre-Christian times anyway.

I will seek to tell them where I can that something has roots older than Christianity - for example when it comes to the Easter Bunny (Ostara's sacred animal was a hare) in its essence (even though the tradition of the eggs being brought back itself is only 450 years old, the roots of it all are much older), I will point out these facts to them.

In return they attempt to be respectful and the only overtly Christian song that is being sung is Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht and it is customary that one should join in. The rest of the year, everyone is annoyed about making liberal use of my singing voice - when it comes to singing around that time of year, everyone is happy about the excellent "two-person-chioir" my stepfather and I make, we have fairly complimentary singing voices.

Anyway, enough on that aside - I believe it is more important that one should celebrate the most important festivals, including Yule with the family than to insist on authentic Heathen practice. As long as you remember what is "authentic practice" (i.e. can pick apart from each other that which is folk custom evolved further, and that which is Judaeo-Christian kitsch), the tradition will be "cleansed" at some point in the future. You can always have it authentic when you've founded your own family.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    I've a friend who follows the Pagan religion but her family and boyfriend are Christian. But I've also a few Atheistic friends who celebrate Christmas culturally with their families. But there's a difference from what I meant in the original posting, because these peoples remain with their faith and don't mishmash what they do. They just take the part to please and grow together with their families. They respect the other faith, nothing more. I think the concept of Chrismukkah is a little bit politically correct and it could water down the both faiths.