Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts

Arrow Food, Inc

Food, Inc. is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Robert Kenner. The film examines large-scale agricultural food production in the United States, concluding that the meat and vegetables produced by this type of economic enterprise leads to inexpensive but unhealthy and environmentally harmful food. The film is narrated by Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser, two long-time critics of the industrial production of food. The documentary generated extensive controversy in that it was heavily criticized by large American corporations engaged in industrial food production.

The film's first segment examines the industrial production of meat (chicken, beef & pork), calling it inhumane and economically and environmentally unsustainable. The second segment looks at the industrial production of grains and vegetables (primarily corn and soy beans), labeling this economically and environmentally unsustainable. The film's third and final segment is about the economic and legal power of the major food companies, whose livelihoods are based on supplying cheap but contaminated food, the heavy use of petroleum-based chemicals (largely pesticides and fertilizers), and the promotion of unhealthy food consumption habits by the American public.
    Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_Inc.

I saw it the other day and thought it was very interesting. Farmers who didnt want to let their animals live in almost complete darkness and very little space lost their jobs and was black listed since they didnt want to follow the industri standard. In the movie there is a interview with a chicken farmer which is independant and lets his chicken be outside in the light and move more freely. They also butcher outside, and eventually they got reported for it, bacterial tests showed that their slaughtered chickens were alot more healthy than industri raised chickens (which had alot more bacteria).
    When we saw how the industri slaughtered their chickens it was a assembly line production and looked almost like a car industry. One consumer says it is cheaper to buy a hamburger than a vegetable. Most of these hamburgers are filled with something called "meat filler".

Youtube:

Food inc

Food inc

IMDB

"Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound

Support Skadi forum

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 11:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    641 Posts
    Thank You for posting this. I think I will order the DVD , as this is one of main interest in my house. I used to not care so much about food as long as it tasted good. My women started me thinking about what we were eating.

Now we eat much more healthy and feel better.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 11:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    641 Posts
    Here is a update on the movie. I recently watched the whole thing twice( had to watch a few parts again). The movie is very informative and for the most part true. I did have a few doubts about some of the small things mentioned.

I would like to say that some of this movie was filmed in my home state of Indiana. The parts about the poultry farms is very true. These are the most disgusting places to be in rural Southern Indiana. For the most part the film was very kind and mild about poultry farms and especially turkey farms. I live close to many of these places and they are bad. They pollute the air with foul smells and the streams with waste water run off.

One big thing is if there is a "chicken house" or "turkey house" there is going to be a processing plant near by and the " factories" import illegal aliens to work there. These illegals are Hispanics that pollute just as much as the poultry houses. The processing plants bring up whole families of workers to stay in company owned housing. The first thing these aliens do is have a child or two and they are called "Anchor Babies" being born the US they cannot be deported. Since most of these children are born out of wedlock they receive welfare, thus draining the system even more.

The only small part of the movie I do not agree with is the amount of land that it takes to feed one person. You cannot make a blanket statement about this as it varies from region to region and even from county to county. The movie states it takes 6 acres to feed one person, that is not very true. In my area you can grow enough vegetables to feed a family of 5 on one acre if you preserve your harvest by canning and drying. There are Amish families that feed large amounts of children on 20 acres and even sell multiple truckloads of surplus. They raise all their own produce,chicken,beef,and pork on that same twenty acres.

We have been slowly going to this system at our house. Now the government is wanting to stop people from growing and canning their own food. There is a new farm bill that will not let people sell their surplus food unless you fill out a 1000+ page application and get approved. The sad and disgusting thing about this is people don't get food borne toxins from small locally grown products, They get them from large corporations who are exempt from a lot of the laws that they enforcing on the individual.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 27th, 2020 @ 10:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Jute/Angle
    Subrace
    Angle/Jute
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Married
    Occupation
    Education
    Politics
    conservative/pan Nordish
    Religion
    Mysticism/Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Very good film. Scary really to think about what this means for life and health. I am glad its not that bad in Europe yet although it is fast getting that way. I need to buy land and start small scale growing.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 06:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Ancestry
    England/Scotland/Germany
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    South Australia South Australia
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    not sure
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...brains-disease

There's an interesting article about the Spam factory. It used to be a well paid job with decent conditions, but now it has changed, and is performed by illegal immigrants under horrendous conditions (eg autoimmune disorders caused by inhaling large amounts of vapourised pig brains).

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, September 4th, 2011 @ 01:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    An excellent documentary, after viewing such it has inspired one to begin cultivating my own vegetable farm and refraining from buying poultry. The influence of companies like Monsanto on political and health reform was rather alarming, and is just another example of the combination of big business and big Government and their exploitation of the people who fund them.