Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Proud or Ashamed of the Barbarian Stereotype?

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 @ 11:54 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    Germany (1/4), Norway (1/4), Scotland (1/8), ? (3/8)
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Conservitive
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Proud of my ancesters...

In my short span of life, I have often been called a barbarian. Few of those times has the term been used in a positive manor. However, it has always been used in good fun to make fun of my nordic heritige. In the end, I always take the stereotype as a compliment and am proud that I am given the title of my fierce ancesters.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Yes I am very proud to be called a Barbarian. The big question is who was the Barbarian maybe the Germanic people called the Romans and Greeks barbarains in their own language.

The Barbarian is in the eye of the beholder.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    I'm not ashamed of the Barbarian stereotype, because to some extent it gives us the romantic notion that people are wary and afraid of us for a good reason. I don't know, but it just feels good to know that your ancestors weren't a bunch of sloths like the Roman generals in the Asterix comics, but actually did something worthwhile and somehow admiresome.

On the other hand, whilst I'm not ashamed, I feel it mis-termed that our ancestors be termed as Barbarians in a negative way, to imply that we were un-civilised, whereas that is just a Romanocentric/Hellenocentric view of history. For example, the station of women in our ancestral societies were more equal-righted than we know that from the Mediterranean World. Also, at some stage our highest God was not one primarily of martial combat, but one (whilst also of course a god of war, also) whose primary attribute is Wisdom and the search for further wisdom.

As such, I would say that our ancestors were very cultured, and that the stereotype of the primitive ancient Germanic is bollocks, and based upon the assumption that an agrarian society is in all respects less developed than an agrarian-urbane society, which is not always the case: Technological development =/= cultural development. Cultural development includes technological development, but transcends that by far.

As such - there are positives and negatives about the term. The positives is that it gives us an idolised, or idolisable picture of our ancestors as strong, relentless and steadfast warriors, to which we can look up to in times of need. The negatives is that it derives from a wrong and highly underrated picture of our ancestors.

But actually be ashamed of the term - nope. I don't believe in guilt, shame and other such things as feelings any self-conscious Germanic should have, so no.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 07:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Term Barbarian, as applied by Romans simply means, Undeveloped society. Not as advanced as Romans. And for the most part I feel that term was applicable to Germanic's of that era. Unless there is something I don’t know about the Germanic's/Barbarians. Romans were simply a more advanced culture. But that does not mean that Germanic's were stupid or mentally inferior, just that they were less advanced at the time.

Fortunately for the Germanic's as Rome collapsed the Germanic's inherited some of the technologies of Rome.

Which should in fact be a warning to current Germanic Culture as to what the future will hold if they do not shape up on the front of the multicultural wave, and reestablish themselves.

The Future “Master Race” if you have it, might be the Japanese, and propagated by their technological boom.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ Fighter View Post
    The Term Barbarian, as applied by Romans simply means, Undeveloped society. Not as advanced as Romans. And for the most part I feel that term was applicable to Germanic's of that era. Unless there is something I don’t know about the Germanic's/Barbarians. Romans were simply a more advanced culture. But that does not mean that Germanic's were stupid or mentally inferior, just that they were less advanced at the time.

Fortunately for the Germanic's as Rome collapsed the Germanic's inherited some of the technologies of Rome.

Which should in fact be a warning to current Germanic Culture as to what the future will hold if they do not shape up on the front of the multicultural wave, and reestablish themselves.

The Future “Master Race” if you have it, might be the Japanese, and propagated by their technological boom.
    I don't think the Romans were as advanced in some areas such as farming,woodworking and iron and steel production(quality not quantity). The Romans were merchants and architects.

The Japanese are better at mimicking than inventing.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 11:02 PM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Barbarian "The word "barbarian" comes into English from Medieval Latin barbarinus, from Latin barbaria, from Latin barbarus, from the ancient Greek word βάρβαρος (bárbaros)"

Another Latin word that has little truth behind it. To Greeks and Romans 'barbarian' simply meant outsider. Like the Old English word utlaga or 'outlaw', one outside the law or in this case, outside the Political jurisdiction of the Empire.

The Term Barbarian, as applied by Romans simply means, Undeveloped society. Not as advanced as Romans. And for the most part I feel that term was applicable to Germanic's of that era. Unless there is something I don’t know about the Germanic's/Barbarians. Romans were simply a more advanced culture.

Yeah, more advanced meaning that their culture had reached it's capacity for degeneracy and was rotten from the inside out.

But that does not mean that Germanic's were stupid or mentally inferior, just that they were less advanced at the time.
    And they held healthier views about spirituality, law and war.

They inherited Rome's degeneration, through their money, their politiks, their law, and their Orthodox religion all catalysts for a speedy degeneration. I'm not so sure this is fortunate.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I will give you the development of steel, which by the way the Romans immediately copied I believe.

As far as farming I don’t know, but in the area of science such as anatomy I believe the Romans were far more advanced, as well in such things as architecture and building fortresses out of concrete. In fact without Concrete invasion into Germanic lands by Romans would have not even been possible. The Romans were developing piped water systems as well as a form of central heat in bath houses, in which the heat flowed under the floor.

Germanic's were still tribalist at the time and lived in basically dugout houses as far as I know. I'm not really sure as to what agricultural development they had though so they may have had that. But they were not using science as we know it today I am relatively sure. The Greeks and Aristotle had already developed science long before.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    As far as farming I don’t know,
    The Anglo Saxons were able to farm large parts of England because of their use of oxen in tandem or quads to plow larger areas. This practice had to come from the Germanic homelands.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Vindefense
    Yeah, more advanced meaning that their culture had reached it's capacity for degeneracy and was rotten from the inside out.
    Well that is more or less a judgment call, but in the area of science I think it is easy to prove that the Greeks invented science as we know it, and the process of rational deduction of nature. The fact that they reached a capacity that started to decay is not because they were un advanced as a civilization.

Also Ancient Romans might have blamed the part of the degeneracy on Germanic's that were incorporated into there empire as slave labor. But that is an assumption on my part.

Vindefense
    And they held healthier views about spirituality, law and war.
    Well I know that in “A History of the English Speaking People” it tells of battles with Romans in which the Germanic's pitched captured weapons into the peat bogs in spiritual rituals, which in turn allowed the romans to defeat them. That is had they simply kept the weapons to fight with.

I personally do not call that a healthier view of war, in my opinion. But then again I'm not a person living in the iron age, so I don’t want to judge too harshly.

Last Online
    Friday, March 23rd, 2018 @ 11:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic-Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It was actually a bit of a Roman-inspired myth that Germans were unadvanced barbarians, as the Romans actually took alot of their technology from the Germans and other 'barbarians'.

These videos will explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1_C...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7QO5NCODv4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0klM7...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9kHR...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbJLm...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_-r...eature=related

The Romans weren't really much more advanced or powerful than the Germanic tribes, they just had more land and money.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast