@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    650 Posts

Anti-Racism Groups Slam 'Black Like Me' Film

A new documentary film by a white journalist posing as a Somali immigrant is meant to highlight rampant racism in Germany, but his undercover method is garnering heavy criticism from black advocacy groups.

“Schwarz auf Weiss: Eine Reise durch Deutschland,” or “Black on White: A journey through Germany,” premieres on Thursday, and is the product of famous undercover journalist Günter Wallraff’s year-long odyssey as a black man.

The film highlights shocking instances of discrimination and near-violent racism that Wallraff details in his book, “Aus der schönen neuen Welt: Expeditionen ins Landesinnere,” or “From the Brave New World: Expeditions in the Heartland,” which was released on October 14.

“In all of the months that I was on the road as a black man, it was not seldom that I felt my dignity had been taken from me,” 67-year-old Wallraff wrote in an article for Die Zeit last week of his experiences undercover as Kwami Ogonno. “It’s difficult to decide what was worse, to experience open aggression, cold rejection, or false, condescending friendliness.”

The problem of latent racism in Germany reached international attention in July when United Nations’ special rapporteur Githu Muigai’s said the country needs to do more to tackle daily discrimination against ethnic minorities after a fact-finding trip. And while Wallraff's critics agree that it’s important for Germany to address the country's undeniable problems of xenophobia and racism, many aren’t sure that it’s a white man’s job to deliver the message with the help of a theatre makeup expert.

“We already had this blackface story back in the 1920s in the US,” director of the Initiative for Black Germans (ISD) Tahir Della told The Local.

“It came about because blacks weren’t allowed to perform in clubs and theatres, so whites dressed up to caricature them – rendering them voiceless with no access to cultural life. Mr Wallraff is using the same form, playing a role he’s not entitled to and preventing those who are really affected from having a voice.”

Meanwhile professor and musician Noah Sow, who works with media watchdog Der Braune Mob, or The Brown Mob, accused Wallraff of earning money “on the costs of our suffering,” news magazine Der Spiegel reported on Wednesday.

Wallraff is well-respected in Germany for several similar undercover investigations, ranging from acting as a Turkish guest worker in 1985 to infiltrating the news room at tabloid daily Bild to highlight questionable journalistic practices. But the question remains whether his notoriety will aid in delivering a message that has been unwelcome coming from minority writers.

“This is an issue that many work to expose every day within Germany,” Della told The Local. “He is of course white, with a certain prominence and reputation for standing on the correct moral side of the disenfranchised. When we attempt to address it the problem is denied and placated. The question is whether this grievance we have will be heard and he’s doing us a favour – but I tend to think not.”

In addition to being offensive to Germany’s black community, Wallraff’s adventure in blackface makeup is not as original as the country’s audience may think. A non-fiction account of a white man travelling as a black man in the segregated American south, entitled “Black Like Me,” was published in 1961 and has since become required reading in many US schools.

A wholly different context means that almost 50 years later Germany has only recently begun to grapple with its own race problems and the fact that it has become an immigrant destination - even as much of the population remains overwhelmingly white.

“It’s difficult to count how many black Germans there are due to census issues, but let’s just say there are enough for our voice to matter,” Della told The Local.

But it’s hard for many Germans to recognise that racism exists in their country, particularly in light of residual Holocaust guilt, he added.

“Maybe it’s because racism is considered to be a problem only in other countries,” he said. "Germany thinks it made its mistakes in the past and learned from them, but this is wrong."

Ultimately the problem can’t be solved without direct interaction with the disaffected, he added.

“Wallraff could have used his prominence to do something with us together and reach a larger public, but he didn’t,” Della concluded.
    http://www.thelocal.de/national/20091022-22749.html

Last Online
    Monday, February 28th, 2011 @ 09:30 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    French, Zeelandic, Dutch.
    Subrace
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    None
    Religion
    Racial occultism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    What's wrong with racism against immigrants ?

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 4th, 2012 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    United States United States
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Thumbs Down Journalist Goes Undercover to Discover Life As a Black Man in Germany;pictures

The project involves both a book, "Aus der schönen neuen Welt" ("Out of the Beautiful New World"), and a film, "Schwarz auf Weiss" ("Black on White"), which will be released in theaters in Germany on Thursday. As part of the film, Wallraff has a makeup artist cover him in dark brown makeup, he wears brown contact lenses and he dons an afro wig. Then, using the alias Kwami Ogonno, he takes a trip across Germany. He goes to a soccer game in the eastern city of Cottbus, attends a city festival in Magdeburg, tries to secure a place to pitch a tent in campground in the Teutoburg Forest and takes his German shepherd to dog training in Cologne.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...656569,00.html

I'm still awaiting for a black African journalist to have a makeup artist cover him in white makeup,wear blue contact lenses and don a blonde wig to discover life as a white man in South Africa.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 05:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I hear about this stuff all the time but I never see it. Its like one man was saying in south africa they put land mines on the border and blacks still kept flooding in. If they are being treated so badly why do they keep coming? Again in America we are told immigrants have it rough but obviously it must be better than where they came from or they wouldnt be fighting to come in.

Same thing with white communities. Almost every black person I met in the city wants to move out of his black community and into a white one. It seems whites make a better neighbor to a black person than other blacks. This is why I don't believe all this media propaganda because it runs contrary to all the experiences I've had in life. Not to say that it doesn't exist. I'm sure on occasion someone isn't going to be nice to you because of your race, but that's life. Not everybody is going to like you no matter who you are. The only difference is when racism happens to me and I complain about it nothing is done (because I'm white) if a non white complains theres this national investigation and the media is right on it.

As I argue in my book: in a free society we should be free to like and dislike whoever we want. I think individuals will make better choices in this matter than the government. We should be free to associate with who we want, to live around the people we want to live around, to choose who can join our private clubs, churches, schools etc. and who can't etc.

If nonwhites really enriched white people lives they would accept them freely. They wouldn't have to be forced to accept them at gunpoint and with constant media attacks. This is not a free society.

Last Online
    Friday, March 30th, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    So cold rejection and condescending and "false" friendliness is now also "racism". I bet a white person have never experienced something like the above ever from another white. I would like to see what kind of personality this actor expressed during the documentary.

Last Online
    Friday, October 29th, 2010 @ 09:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    North-Western European
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Right
    Religion
    Biblical Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I hear about this stuff all the time but I never see it. Its like one man was saying in south africa they put land mines on the border and blacks still kept flooding in. If they are being treated so badly why do they keep coming? Again in America we are told immigrants have it rough but obviously it must be better than where they came from or they wouldnt be fighting to come in.

Same thing with white communities. Almost every black person I met in the city wants to move out of his black community and into a white one. It seems whites make a better neighbor to a black person than other blacks. This is why I don't believe all this media propaganda because it runs contrary to all the experiences I've had in life. Not to say that it doesn't exist. I'm sure on occasion someone isn't going to be nice to you because of your race, but that's life. Not everybody is going to like you no matter who you are. The only difference is when racism happens to me and I complain about it nothing is done (because I'm white) if a non white complains theres this national investigation and the media is right on it.

As I argue in my book: in a free society we should be free to like and dislike whoever we want. I think individuals will make better choices in this matter than the government. We should be free to associate with who we want, to live around the people we want to live around, to choose who can join our private clubs, churches, schools etc. and who can't etc.

If nonwhites really enriched white people lives they would accept them freely. They wouldn't have to be forced to accept them at gunpoint and with constant media attacks. This is not a free society.
    Is the book published?