View Poll Results: Which is the ideal type of family?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single parent

0 0%
  • Nuclear

20 57.14%
  • Extended

5 14.29%
  • Composite

0 0%
  • Tribal

8 22.86%
  • Consensual

0 0%
  • Concubine

0 0%
  • Reconstituted

0 0%
  • Other

2 5.71%

Thread: Ideal Type of Family

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    699 Posts

Ideal Type of Family

Which do you think it is, and why?

The single parent family is one of the "fastest growing family structures" of the past decade (Benokraitis 35). This type of family tends to be temporary because the single parent tends to remarry or marries for the first time. The single mother, the most common form of this type of family, must cope with low pay, child-care problems, and the overburden of working and continuing to shoulder household and child rearing duties. A successful single parent, particular a single mother, finds a way to balance a low wage with high day care costs and just living costs in general. They find adequate housing in a satisfactory neighborhood, which is difficult. The successful parent finds the time to juggle work, home maintenance, child care duties and have social interactions with other adults to avoid social isolation that occurs with most single parents. Sharing the cost of rent with a roommate may "alleviate some of the social and emotional isolation" that happens while also lessening the financial burden of raising children on their own (Benokraitis 57).

The nuclear family includes a husband, wife and children. This type of family has the following functions are "procreative, affectional, economic consumption" (Lamanna 67)

Extended Family includes one or more nuclear families plus other family positions such as grandparents, uncles, etc. This type of family serves all social, educational, economic, reproductive, affectional, and religious functions.

The composite Family is two or more nuclear families sharing a common spouse, functions are normally the same as those of a nuclear family.

Tribal Family is many families living in close proximity as a larger clan or tribe and usually has the same functions as those of the extended family.

Consensual family (cohabitation) includes a man, woman, and children living together in a legally unrecognized relationship. This type of family serves any function it needs to. The commune "is a group of people living together sharing a common purpose" with assigned roles and responsibilities normally associated with the nuclear family (Lamanna 78). It can provide all functions with leadership vested in an individual, council, or some other organized form to which all families are beholden. Single-parent family is usually a mother and child. Father and child combinations are less common. This family's functions are the same a monogamy without a legally recognized reproductive function.

The concubine type of family contains an "extra female sexual partner recognized as a member of a household" but without full status (Benokraitis 156). The functions of this type of family are usually limited to sex and reproduction.

The reconstituted (blended) family consists of a husband and wife, at least one of whom has been previously married, plus one or more children from previous marriage and/or marriages and can serve any function.

Socialization can be defined as the physical and psychological nurturing of children into adulthood or passing society's values on to new members beginning at birth. The family retains the greatest overall influence on young children. The social learning theory has pointed out the importance of modeling in learning for young children. Modeling is learning by observing other people's behavior.

Parents and other family members are the most significant models for young children. Society often blames the family for the problems of their individual members but social problems such as economic depression, inflation, unemployment, civil unrest etc. also work to shape the individual. Each family has their own opinions about these problems based on their value systems, which may lead to the family to take certain actions when these problems touch their family. Personality theories of socialization can also be used to account for traditionalization, in regard to sex roles. The child's parents are used for the models in early sex role socialization; boys take after their fathers and girls their mothers. Because there is no formal education for parenthood new parents tend to fall into the rigid sex roles of their parents before them to get things done, perpetuating the cycle.

Works Cited

Benokraitis, Nijole V. Marriages and Families : Changes, Choices and Constraints. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 2007. 56+.

Lamanna, Mary Ann, and Agnes Riedmann. Marriages and Families : Making Choices in a Diverse Society. Belmont: Wadsworth, 2008.
    Source:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ies.html?cat=9

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish, German
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts
    A tribal family would be a good model in my opinion,
    as a small reflection of the nation.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, June 20th, 2011 @ 07:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    State
    Alaska Alaska
    Family
    Married with Children
    Occupation
    disaster mitigation
    Politics
    I want my country back now
    Religion
    HFR Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I said "nuclear" because I could only choose one. I see that type of family as the model of society.

Extended family is built on the nuclear family.

Extended family is also very important because it gives children a perspective on the past experiences of their family, helps them see themselves as a part of a continuing chain of people that goes forward in time and backward in time, and shows them a more complete view of the human life cycle (some children who are not in touch with their grands look at elder-folk as some other race or something).

I think that elders benefit from being around their grandchildren also. They might see themselves or siblings traits carried on, offer valuable wisdom about situations that may occur, and get a good feeling from the positive energy that kids seem to have no lack of.

Tribal family, like in the Alaskan Native villages? I'm not sure I could think of another modern example I have seen, may be like small religous communities or something. This would be like living in a very small town in which you were related to everyone else in the town. I think that could be very interesting, but I would still think that the nuclear family would be the basis for this type of family as well.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 01:49 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    658 Posts
    I would have to agree with the tribal family, but I chose other because I think combinations of several would be good.

To me I see the Amish as kind of a Tribal/Extended family. They have the grandparents and the children living on the same farm but in separate houses.
    As far the community goes they brake that up in districts usually a 10 mile radius. That way they can get to their church services with their buggies and not have to travel far. The only thing the they leave out is single parents that they sometimes have. There is no doubt they are all related even several states away.

In the tribal type the single parent who was not compatible with there mate might fit better with many relatives in the area.

hearthtender
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    voted other because I do not believe that one family type is best for everyone. My family is nuclear. I think that extended and tribal families are generally good. I have not problem with other options as long as the long term welfare of any children is paramount.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    It depends on the family and circumstances. An extended family would be ideal for a family living in a house for instance, composite and tribal would be ideal for a closely-knit community with larger premises. For the typical urban, apartment-dwelling family, a nuclear family would work best. Unfortunately, the single parent family is becoming more and more the rule rather than the exception. This type of family is the least ideal because the child does not get to experience and bond with their parents to a full extent (they have to work, so the child gets placed in daycare or with babysitters often), unless of course, there are other family members around to help, but then it becomes a type of extended family.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fjaran For This Useful Post: