Netherlands Netherlands
    None
    Religion
    Racial occultism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Post Experts Say That "Racist" Black Students Need Black Teachers to Succeed

Few teachers are black men

Lenny Macklin made it to 10th grade before having a teacher who looked like him — an African-American male. Gregory Georges graduated from high school without ever being taught by a black man.

Only about 2% of teachers nationwide are African-American men. But experts say that needs to change if educators expect to reduce minority achievement gaps and dropout rates.

Macklin, now an 18-year-old college student, said he understands the circle that keeps many of his peers out of the classroom professionally.

"A lot of males, they don't like being in school because they can't relate to their teacher," said Macklin, of Pittsburgh. "So why would you want to work there?"

American teachers are overwhelmingly white (87%) and female (77%), despite minority student populations of about 44%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

It's a job men generally avoid because of gender stereotypes, fear of abuse accusations and low pay, said Bryan Nelson, founder of the Minneapolis-based nonprofit organization MenTeach. The average U.S. teacher salary was about $51,000 in 2006-07.

Yet increasing the number of minority teachers is important because of "the role model factor," said Greg Johnson, a policy analyst for the National Education Association.

"These students need to see successful adults of color in front of them," Johnson said.

Macklin and Georges, both sophomores at historically black Cheyney University near Philadelphia, are trying to fulfill that need through the Call Me MISTER teaching program.

MISTER is both an acronym — Mentors Instructing Students Toward Effective Role Models — and a reference to the 1967 film "In the Heat of the Night," in which Sidney Poitier's character demands respect with the line, "They call me MISTER Tibbs!"

Designed to put more minority men at the head of the classroom, the initiative offers scholarships in exchange for teaching in public schools.

"If we can recruit linebackers, point guards and track stars, we can recruit third-grade teachers," said Roy Jones, the program's national executive director. "It is a matter of priority."

Jones directs the program from Clemson University in South Carolina, where it began in 2000 after researchers found that fewer than 1% of the state's elementary school teachers were black men; the overall K-12 student population at the time was 42% black.

Nearly six years after the first MISTER cohort graduated in 2004, there has been some progress, though Jones concedes not nearly enough.

About 50 program graduates are teaching in South Carolina schools, representing a 25% increase in the number of black male instructors statewide, Jones said. Another 250 future teachers are in the MISTER pipeline, scattered across 28 colleges in seven states.

To improve the national percentage of black male teachers to even 3%, another 45,000 would need to enroll.

One hurdle may be that the program is found mostly at historically black colleges and universities, which have lower graduation rates than colleges overall, according to an Associated Press analysis. Men at those schools have a paltry 29% graduation rate within six years, in part due to lack of money and poor academic preparation, the AP found.

Yet some who have finished the MISTER program, like Keith Wilkes, find teaching rewarding.

Wilkes, who works in a predominantly white school in Westminster, S.C., said he believes children of all races need male role models. Wilkes, 50, sees himself as an African-American giving back to the community where he grew up — an image he hopes will dispel negative stereotypes of black men for students and parents alike.

"It's a noble cause," Wilkes said. "This is not just something you do as a job. This is a lifestyle. You have to believe in what you're doing."

Hayward Jean, 27, has found teaching equally inspiring, though not without its challenges. Now in a low-income district in Orangeburg, S.C., Jean said he was caught off guard by the initially chilly reception from boys in his class.

Many are being raised by single mothers and are wary of black men abruptly entering and leaving their lives, Jean said.

"Actually, a lot of them were a little bit bitter toward me," Jean said. "We've been breaking those walls down, and that's been helping them tremendously."

At Cheyney, a public university serving 1,400 students, the Call Me MISTER initiative started last year with a $1 million state grant. Students receive full tuition, room and board, and a stipend; for every year they receive the scholarship, they are required to teach one year in Pennsylvania public schools.

About a dozen undergraduates are expected to get their bachelor's degrees in 2011; six graduate MISTER students are expected to receive master's degrees this spring.

Gregory Georges, 20, said some of his peers are attracted to higher-paying careers with fancier wardrobes. But he notes that all of his teaching salary will be going into his pocket because he'll have no loans to pay back. And he's not so much into clothes anyway.

"I'd rather be in a classroom rolling my sleeves up and talking to the kids," Georges said. "Get some chalk on my fingers."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...s_N.htm?csp=34

Last Online
    Monday, April 18th, 2011 @ 07:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/french
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    nationaldemokrat
    Religion
    pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So logically white students need white teachers to succeed and asian students need asian teachers. In other words we need homogeneous schools.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, May 6th, 2010 @ 04:13 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Celtogermanic
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think some of us would propagate this, too.
    Because we had Problems in a few Schools with Migrants.
    We don´t have to face the Truth and Speak out what´s happening.
    The Black Students must have enough Black Teachers .
    But doubt there would be enough Teachers for all.
    When they´re playing Gangsta who of them are educated ?

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 06:42 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Maybe less xbox would help them "succeed" in school

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 @ 06:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian decent/ancestry - Born American
    Ancestry
    Norway, Germany, Sweden, England
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Personal care, construction
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Norse Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why does it seem like there are more racist blacks than there are whites? I don't understand. To me, a teacher is a teacher. They teach, thats just what they do. What does a black teacher do?Teach. What does a white teacher do? Teach. I could go on and on for hours. However, I am not surprised.

Eala Freia Fresena
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2020 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Teachers don't teach anymore they are brainwashing unsuspecting white kids. They instill in them the 'white guilt' cult brainwashing. They program them to adhere to 'political correctness' which is simply a disempowerment of white people. (Just go to your local DMV and count how many white men work there, I don't think you will be surprised). they call it in my town 'character counts'. They give you points if the brainwashing works and you display 'political correct' behaviour, that means selfdestructing behaviour of whites.

They teach multiculturalism on the expense of white people. Teachers are not innocent, they are the enablers of that destructive marxist ideology, startet with the Frankfurt School and ultimately the destructors of white America. They are in no way innocent but traitors of their own people.

Why do you think they want more blackies as teachers, and in the example of predominant white kids? it's just part of their program of destroying the white race.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 @ 06:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian decent/ancestry - Born American
    Ancestry
    Norway, Germany, Sweden, England
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Personal care, construction
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Norse Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is exactly why I think cultural/racial segregation would be good for this country. I am by no means a racist or biggot but in my opinion it would be good for all of us. We all need to preserve our own cultures and heritage, or what some people might call their culture. I think everyone would be much happier and we would not have to deal with things like this.

Waffenbrüder und Blut
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Homo europæus
    Ancestry
    Iutum (Jutes), Agendicum (Sénons)
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Politics
    NS-Eugeniker
    Religion
    Highland Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ædiruc View Post
    Maybe less xbox would help them "succeed" in school
    Whites and asian can suceed in school just fine with either Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, it's just the negroes and other brown/black races who can't.

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 06:42 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassenhygieniker View Post
    Whites and asian can suceed in school just fine with either Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, it's just the negroes and other brown/black races who can't.
    Ha! I was being a bit sarcastic in my post. See, I've read news articles that also touch on the problem which minority groups suffer from in their education. The leftists who handle the educational system need to realize the real issue, and set up special learning programs targeted to help the ethnic groups who are suffering.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 4th, 2011 @ 12:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swiss
    Ancestry
    Switzerland
    Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    State
    Geneva Geneva
    Family
    Youth
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The black children need authority of the teacher to feel that they have all the rights in classroom When he is too overliberal he loses control of the class in the course of the year He should not be too nice with the students otherwise they consider everything allowed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast