Thread: Guido Knopp, What is Your Opinion of Him?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    Monday, May 6th, 2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Germany & Norway
    Subrace
    Faordiby
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Cognitive Dissident
    Politics
    Verwoerdian
    Religion
    Heretic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

Guido Knopp, What is Your Opinion of Him?

From Wikipedia

After gaining his doctorate degree in history and political science, Knopp worked as a newspaper editor at the Welt am Sonntag and the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. In 1978 he took up employment at the German TV station ZDF. Since then, he has produced many documentaries about the Nazi dictatorship like Hitlers Helfer ("Hitler's helpers"), Hitler-Eine Bilanz ("Hitler-taking stock") or Die SS: Eine Warnung der Geschichte ("The SS: A warning from history"), but also for example Vatikan (about the power of the popes) or Kanzler: Die Mächtigen der Republik (about Germany's post-war federal chancellors)[1]. He also hosts a weekly show on German television, usually broadcast on Sundays, called "History". In 1999 he produced a series called "100 Jahre - der Countdown", which sums up the whole 20th Century year by year and is still sometimes broadcast, mainly during holidays, by the German TV station Phoenix[2].

For the publication of his book "Top Spies - Traitors in the secret war" (1994) Knopp worked with the German Federal Intelligence Service and several retired spies to present their personal story and explain their work to a broad public[3].

Guido Knopp's history films are often attacked as presenting the Third Reich too superficially and as "editing history" so as to play down the role of the German public in building and supporting the Hitler regime.[4][5]. Knopp has been criticized for rewriting history by leaving out the role of the Wehrmacht (German Army) in the cruelties of World War II[6][7]. In 2004 a group of international historians warned that documentaries like the one's produced by Knopp could reduce important historic facts to mere infotainment[8]. In 2003 Guido Knopp plead for Konrad Adenauer to be featured in the Unsere Besten list of greatest Germans, compiled by ZDF TV[9].

In 2004 he received the Goldene Kamera and the Bavarian and European TV award for his work.

Today he teaches Journalism at the Gustav-Siewerth-Akademie in Weilheim-Bierbronnen (Baden-Württemberg) and is living in Mainz. His publishing house is the German Random House group (Bertelsmann group)[10].

In 2008 Knopp worked on a movie about the failed Hitler assassin Stauffenberg[11].
    What is your opinion of Guido Knopp?
    Although the word "Commando" was wrongly used to describe all Boer soldiers, a commando was a unit formed from a particular district. None of the units was organized in regular companies, battalions or squadrons. The Boer commandos were individualists who were difficult to control, resented formal discipline or orders, and earned a British jibe that"every Boer was his own general".

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Monday, December 30th, 2019 @ 06:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Schläsinger Deutsch
    Ancestry
    Austro-Prussian Frontier
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Silesia Silesia
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Traitor. Here in Australia almost every documentary aired on television about the Third Reich are his. Talk about biased source material . They're quite ferocious against Hitler and NS, I don't think even the British docos are so eager to ostracize this already beaten down area of history as his are.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, September 30th, 2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    277 Posts
    My reception of him is reasonably mixed. I used to be very opposed to his persona, and TBH I still can't stand his sight --- but whilst I've long stopped to watch documentaries or read books on the Third Reich by him as I consider them biased, ill-researched and simply boring.

However, I have to admit, I was reasonably impressed by the multi-part documentary he co-produced last year about German History further back. Some of it was quite watchable, and not too bad at all, so he's at least risen slightly in my evaluation of him.

At large, he's still one of the usual blabberists --- and at large, I don't consider him a good Historian.

When it comes to the part of Contemporary History called "History of the Third Reich", most are obviously irrevocably predisposed in their evaluation, but obviously some are objectively speaking more valuable than others in regards to their other contribution to Contemporary History and some of the questions raised therein.

However, Knopp is altogether not a good historian, not like he's contributed much of new research, his job is to regurgitate that which has been regurgitated several times before. Not for no reason was his other Degree in Political Science --- and not for no reason did he become a journalist.

I just don't consider him as a particularly good Historian, he's much more out for "popular history" rather than going into any depth of research when it comes to asking about the "How?" or the "Why?" - his journalistic, politologic approach to Contemporary History mainly thrives of his cliched overuse of adjectives rather than content.

I sometimes call Guido Knopp "The Rosamunde Pilcher of Contemporary History". I think there's probably some truth to it.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Sigurd already took my words out of my throat. His documentaries outside of the topical sphere of WW2 and 3rd Reich were quite viewable but when it comes to the 3rd Reich all of his documentaries are very biased.

Arnulf Baring is a better Historian but he doesn´t any make documentaries at all.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson