Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Average Colour of Hair in Germany ?

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 5th, 2017 @ 03:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    A Married Daddy
    Politics
    A tad right of centre
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Average Colour of Hair in Germany ?

I've just come from another forum were someone tried to convince me that the British aren't Germanic ? He showed several photos of crowd scenes, taken in Britain, were the majority of people had brown hair, rather than blond hair? I was of the understanding that most German people also had brown hair ? His arguement being, if we were Germanic, we would mostly have blond hair.
    Am I right or wrong....

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, October 16th, 2018 @ 02:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norse
    Ancestry
    Nordic countries
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Weapons maker
    Politics
    Live FREE or DIE
    Religion
    Ancient Norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyboy View Post
    I've just come from another forum were someone tried to convince me that the British aren't Germanic ? He showed several photos of crowd scenes, taken in Britain, were the majority of people had brown hair, rather than blond hair? I was of the understanding that most German people also had brown hair ? His arguement being, if we were Germanic, we would mostly have blond hair.
    Am I right or wrong....
    Gummere states on page 61 of Germanic Origins in 1892 that statistics taken from recent tests in the 1890,s in German schools out of 468,763 children classified 317,444 had blonde hair and 136,014 were brown. he also states that in roman times almost all of the Germanic race was tall and Blonde.Mixtures with other races as in all the Blonde people are being decimated .My Grandmother who was born in Norway once told me in Northern Germany (Prussia ) where She grew up all of the children were Blonde even more so than Norway! . Is that so today ? I doubt it. The pure Germanic race is predominently a blonde race but as they are mixing with other white races are growing steadily darker

Last Online
    Friday, March 30th, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    All British are not Germanic, the hair is probably darker in Wales than in most parts of England. From what I understand the Welsh are known to be somewhat darker.

That said, brown is probably the most common hair colour among Germanic people, in it's many different shades. There would also be regional differences, in some places blonde and brown may be at a more similar rate.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    A Married Daddy
    Politics
    A tad right of centre
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thank you Nordlander & Meldmir for your replies and pleased to meet you.

One more thing that piques my curiosity. When I and my siblings were kids, we had blonde hair, almost white. As we reached puberty, our hair darkened and as adults, we have brown hair. This is the same with our own kids and is far from uncommon in the area were we live. Is this change in hair colour common in Germany ?

Schimmelreiter
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Blondism predates Germanics. It is an erroneous application of inductive reasoning to equate their presence with each other, since the latter is an ethnic term that may comprise several related races without being coextensive with any of them.

However, differences in racial composition (and pigmentation, if considered separate) between Germanic ethnic groups can be observed and one can propose explanations for that. For example, the remnants of conquered populations often become part of the conquering group while remaining in place. This means that the composition of the whole group shifts during this outward expansion without even necessitating actual intermarriage within conquered territory or any form of collapse toward the core. Historically, both has happened to varying degrees.

Interestingly, one could also apply these thoughts to the formative stages of Germanics as such, in addition to any subsequent expansions.

Reliable figures about blondism in Germany are difficult to obtain, but it is estimated that 10% of all women are blonde and so are ca. 25% of all children (as opposed to 50% in 1970; plus there is a tendency to darken with age). In 1950, the total figure for blonde people in Germany is supposed to have been near 40%.

I also remember the 19th century studies mentioned by Nordlander and the resulting anthropological maps should still exist somewhere in university vaults, but I do not have the data available.

Even discounting immigration, a downward trend should be quite clear.

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauke Haien View Post
    Even discounting immigration, a downward trend should be quite clear.
    In "Die Rassenkunde des deutschen Volkes" by Hans F. K. Günther he presented a simple mathematical example for possible decline of blondism in Germany, no wonder he advised immediate action.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    381 Posts
    I would guess that among all Germanics, & quite a few Celts, blondism is the norm among children but with the majority having their hair darken to brown as thye age.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Thank you Nordlander & Meldmir for your replies and pleased to meet you.

One more thing that piques my curiosity. When I and my siblings were kids, we had blonde hair, almost white. As we reached puberty, our hair darkened and as adults, we have brown hair. This is the same with our own kids and is far from uncommon in the area were we live. Is this change in hair colour common in Germany ?
    Nice to meet you too.

My hair was very light until I was about 6-7 years old, nowadays most people would however consider it to be more brown, although the lightness/darkness of it can vary depending of lenght and sun
    exposure. It sort of have different light shades at different lenghts if you see what I mean, mostly darker towards the roots. During the winter it will often look more straight brown.

Edit: I can only speak for Sweden, but I'd say that this hair change is common here as well. Some people may have hair that only darkens a little and remain blonde, while many other have hair that turns more to a shade of brown.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    A Married Daddy
    Politics
    A tad right of centre
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think we must have a common ancestor Meldimir. My hair also turns streaky blonde depending upon the level of sunlight. A couple of years ago I vacationed in Tunisia, my hair turned blondish brown and at the time I had a beard, which is mostly red. Where I come from, we have the highest percentage of red hair in the world and most of us carry the ginger gene.
    Anyways, I was the most muti-coloured tourist there and the locals where taking more pictures of me than I was of them.
    I wasn't a pretty sight, I can assure you.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think we must have a common ancestor Meldimir. My hair also turns streaky blonde depending upon the level of sunlight. A couple of years ago I vacationed in Tunisia, my hair turned blondish brown and at the time I had a beard, which is mostly red. Where I come from, we have the highest percentage of red hair in the world and most of us carry the ginger gene.
    Anyways, I was the most muti-coloured tourist there and the locals where taking more pictures of me than I was of them.
    I wasn't a pretty sight, I can assure you.
    Yes, that sounds like my hair. My hair during the summer is usually "multi-coloured", it can have hair that is of lighter shades and some hair of darker shades. I don't have any red, although I've seen instances where red and brown/blonde seem to co-exist, either as hair head and beard or even both being present on the head together.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast