Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preserving National Cuisine: Tradition vs. Health?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    We're lucky to live in a small town that's had a traditional farmer's market for several centuries, and this is where we buy our fruit, vegetables, cheese and meat. Beyond that we seek to make a point to restrict ourselves where possible to local/regional produce as well and prefer smaller shops. Our baker uses no additives and bakes bread the traditional way - there's another organic bakery actually too, but their bread smells and tastes like medicine.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    [Staff note: discussion has been split from this thread.]

An English breakfast is no different than fellow Germanics' meat-heavy cuisines. We use butter instead of olive oil, because olives don't grow in our homelands. I personally enjoy butter with rapeseed oil; both are products of my family's farm in Swaledale. There's nothing wrong with embracing the natural options available for consumption. Maybe you can understand that Skadi is about Germanic cultural preservation and not alternatives. You either enjoy and cherish what makes us unique, feeling enriched by it, or choose multiculturalism. Your statement is just another example of what drives Anglophobia among fellow Germanics and I can't say that I blame them for it. Disaffection ought never be praised, because coping with it engenders self-doubt all around.

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago @ 10:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baorn View Post
    Maybe you can understand that Skadi is about Germanic cultural preservation and not alternatives. You either enjoy and cherish what makes us unique, feeling enriched by it, or choose multiculturalism. Your statement is just another example of what drives Anglophobia among fellow Germanics and I can't say that I blame them for it. Disaffection ought never be praised, because coping with it engenders self-doubt all around.
    Let's not get ridiculous, it's "just" food. Obviously our ancestors already incorporated new ingredients, otherwise we wouldn't have now classical traditional stuff like potatoes, tomatoes, paprikas and so on. We should not cling to something merely because it's traditional if it can be demonstrated that it's unhealthy.
    I certainly didn't see the statement as Germanophobic or something that could inspire Anglophobia. For the former, your posts about Germans irritate me far more.

That being said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sigebrond View Post
    I like both but I think British food is a much more varied and healthier mix of various countryfoods. Like Scandinavian food I guess, I tend to associate German cuisine with a lot of meat-heavy dishes, and plenty of dairy. I like it occasionally, but I think the healthiest cuisines are those that use less dairy, and revolve around having vegetables with some meat, not a lot of meat with a few vegetables. Japanese food, Mediterranean food and Indian food are very healthy cuisines I would say. German and Scandinavian food is probably only healthy at all because it uses a lot of potato to balance out the meats.

I could also be talking nonsense though, so people with a deeper knowledge of these cuisines feel free to correct me. That said, traditional British food is extremely underappreciated all the same.
    Pretty certainly the usage of heavy amounts of meat is more of a modern phenomenon, meat was expensive in the past. So while the basic receipt stayed the same, the proportions of the ingredients changed. Associating only meat with German cuisine is certainly somewhat stereotypical, there also some stable foods, like "Linsen mit Spätzle" (lentils with "noodles") from my own region, that rely entirely on vegetables(and some egg). All around the German coast there's of course also a heavy amount of fish and seafood thrown into the mix.

I actually tend to associate British/English cuisine equally with large amounts of meat and the meat consume per person is also very much the same(about 80 kg per year) nowadays. In Ireland for example it's much higher. Although it's also the question, how large the effect of American fast food is in either or both countries. Could you name some British dishes that are a "healthier mix of various countryfoods"? I'm genuinely interested.
    From a historical perspective, a larger reliance on meat and dairy(that perhaps not initially or only in altered state like cheese, looking at the lack of Lactase Persistence in ancient genomes) certainly helped our Steppe ancestors to thrive and eventually gave them a strong edge(height, muscles, endurance) over the local farmers. The problem nowadays is probably mostly a lack of exercise and a corresponding oversupply of energy, especially in form of saturated fat.

I don't know a whole lot about Japanese or Indian cuisine but while Sushi with it's reliance on fish, rice and seafood is conceivably healthy, I don't associate curry or something like this with health. At least not for European stomachs.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    We should encourage our fellows to esteem highly, all that is indigenous to Germanics, including recipes, costumes, composers, denominations, dialects and branches, architecture and traditions. What we don't need is a Germanic pecking order, because no nation among us is spotless. All you object to is my repudiation of WWII propaganda, which indicates a serious problem on your part, since it intimates "Anglocidal", i.e. anti-Germanic bias. Germany is not objectively entitled to judge Germanic standards with the goal in mind of making straw men of your English brethren. Anglophobic rhetoric is too often hypocritical and I just expose it.

You know what I would want? A corporate reunification of Dutch?, Germans, English and Danes to the exclusion of others. That requires love, like marriage and children, while forsaking those who keep us apart. In family reunions, many sides of the kinfolk partake in a potluck supper and I just so happen to want to pig out on all that our wives, mothers, aunts and grandmothers can cook up for all of us. I want to watch the little ones grow up in a world where we love each other and they pass it on to the next lifetime after we ourselves return to the Earth. Blood and Soil!

Given the budget and hunger, I can sit down at a German restaurant all day, from open to close. If they start serving pizza and tacos, I'm leaving and telling everyone interested, that the establishment is fake and worthless. If they serve wine and vodka, but skimp on the beer or gin, I'll laugh at them as a joke. I say that even though I don't drink alcohol anymore. I don't have a rootless cosmopolitan worldview and this most especially concerns where I spend my money. I don't import from non-Germanic societies for the most part, but if it comes down to snobbery like the Mediterranean diet, or French and Italian chefs, I'm liable to puke.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    You should only layer hot Spätzle with cheese and perhaps put it into an oven on relatively low temperature for a short time. But usually that's not even necessary.
    In my area, Kasspatzln are typically a frying-pan dish instead of an oven dish. But yea, actually managing to break a tooth on Spätzle of any sort because they were too hard means they were definitely done wrong. And that's coming from someone who broke a tooth both on a takeaway pizza and on a piece of Apfelstrudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Let's not get ridiculous, it's "just" food. Obviously our ancestors already incorporated new ingredients, otherwise we wouldn't have now classical traditional stuff like potatoes, tomatoes, paprikas and so on. We should not cling to something merely because it's traditional if it can be demonstrated that it's unhealthy.
    Partially yes and partially no. We shouldn't cling to something merely because it's traditional - but we shouldn't ditch something merely because it's unhealthy, either. I also don't think I'm a worse Germanic preservationist for eating pasta on Saturday than I am for eating pork and mash on Friday.

At the same time, it's still quintessential to safeguarding our traditional cuisine. A local supermarket used to be the place to go to buy spices from all over the place. Since it's a place relatively close to some migrant ghettos, yet also close to where a lot of students and other hipsters live, they ultimately only chose to stock what sold well, and more of that. So now there's to choose between two dozens of different curries and one dozen of spices that go with MENA foods - but no longer stock herbs like summer savory, parsley or sage.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Whether or not anyone thinks liverwurst is healthy, I eat whole packs of Braunschweiger without regret and often nothing with it but a drink to wash it down. I eat it so fast, I hiccup, so that's the only reason I have an apple or cranberry juice or milk with it. Sometimes I put mustard on it, with havarti with dill and rye with caraway, but usually just stuff myself without bothering. I don't drink alcohol. Granted, this American version is more like Leverpastej than the standard German.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123