Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Criticize Yourself. Which (Germanic) Virtues Do You Lack?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts

Tired Criticize Yourself. Which (Germanic) Virtues Do You Lack?

Another antithesis thread.

Patience, is not one of mine. I'm quick to lose it especially if it involves people who talk nonsense and are ignorant about Germany/Germans.

What about you?

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Wednesday, September 30th, 2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    277 Posts
    Calmness. I can be quick to lose my temper - fair enough, it does take quite a bit of effort to make me give up my composure, but sometimes when I'm still hotly debating and claiming that a personal attack does not bother me, I'm already boiling inside with a hand on the hilt of my sword. Call it "Bajuvarian hotheadedness".
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Calmness. I can be quick to lose my temper - fair enough, it does take quite a bit of effort to make me give up my composure, but sometimes when I'm still hotly debating and claiming that a personal attack does not bother me, I'm already boiling inside with a hand on the hilt of my sword. Call it "Bajuvarian hotheadedness".
    Furor Teutonicus rather.

Did you ever hit the monitor in rage?

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Wednesday, September 30th, 2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Furor Teutonicus rather.
    I'm not offended by that statement. Nothing wrong about acting like the guys in Wickie und die starken Männer...

Did you ever hit the monitor in rage?
    Are you mad? This laptop is seven years old. It'd fall to pieces if I did that! ... No, when I am in personal discussion, I start my reply with "That's bollocks/bullshit" --- and when I'm in forum discussion, I do a keyboard warriorism and hammer into the keyboard whilst staring into the reply window and puffing away rather quickly on a cigarette at the same time.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 10:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Denmark
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Reason
    Religion
    Science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Wow, there'd be a lot.

My most obvious flaw would be my laziness. I'm not an industrous person by nature. So industriousness is the first virtue I name.

A second one I certainly lack is lenience. I'm one proud bastard, and if someone grossly insults me or someone/something I value high, it will take a long long time for me to forgive him/her.

I'm also not a big philanthropist, so I guess I sometimes lack charity, too.

I'm not very familiar with the virtues off calmness and patience either.

And, of course, since I'm a pragmatist (nihilist would also be a correct term, but I find it to be associated too negative) I pretty much lack the virtue of idealism the best I can.
    "Lever dot as slav."

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts
    I lack mercy and remorse. Truly, more mercy than remorse.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I lack industriousness. In any case, that's the only lacking quality I'm concerned with at this stage.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 01:37 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Forgiveness, confidence, and inward strength, I think I lack the most.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Forgiveness isn't a Germanic virtue (at least to me). Here are the primary moral codes from my book on Asatru.

Discouraged Deeds: lying, cheating, stealing, unproductive criticism, unproductive gossip

The Aesirian Code of Nine

1) The Code is to Honor---
    Honor yourself with truth and fairness. Your word is your bond, give your word power by adhering to it. Honor your family and friends with reverence and respect. Honor your love and the way above all else. Honor is the mark of strength and nobility.

2) The Code is to Protect---
    Protect with savagery your blood and kin. Let no one or nothing violate your love or way. Let there always be inequity in defense. Always protect thrice as fiercely as one is attacked. Protection is the mark of a warrior spirit.

3) The Code is to Flourish---
    Prosperity and growth are key to the survival of the way. Such is the mark of intelligence.

4) The Code is Knowledge---
    Knowledge is power. Seek ever to expand the mind. Never stagnate, for knowledge is a gift from the gods.

5) The Code is Change---
    Adapting and changing are important for growth and survival. That which cannot adapt or change is doomed to perish. Change is the mark of insight.

6) The Code of Fairness---
    Pay all debts, pull your own weight, always hear and consider all sides. Treat all others with equity and fairness. Expect the same.

7) The Code is Balance---
    Remember the Law of balance; All that which you do or wish for, good or ill, shall return to you one day. Strive for the good.

8) The Code is Control---
    Never loose control to anger or be baited by hostility. Never strike a woman unless your life hangs in the balance. Never violate the weak or innocent. Never tolerate those who do. Control is the mark of a disciplined mind, a sign of the greatest of warriors.

9) The Code is Conflict---
    Those who follow the way must know the art of combat, weapons and vengeance. War is part of the path. Always be prepared for hostility. It is a destiny woven into the fibers of our people. Keep body, mind and training up all times. Have no remorse in the savagery of conflict. Win, prevail and Survive.

(supposedly translated from Danish runes of the 10th century. I don't know how much faith I can hold on what I read on the internet but a hoax or real it is still a good code that I use)

9 Virtues

• Courage/Bravery*
    • Truth/Wisdom *
    • Honor/ Duty/Justice *
    • Self Sufficiency/Self Responsibility/Self Reliance
    • Discipline/Moderation *
    • Hospitality/Good Manners
    • Industriousness/work ethic/cleanliness
    • Loyalty/Fidelity
    • Perseverance/Pride/Health

The asterics* are the four cardinal virtues set forth by plato and can be found in a Christianized form in the Christian church. I see the four virtues as more fundamental than the rest. I use slashes because different virtue lists have different words but they mean the same thing once you get into a discussion of it. Which I detail in the book but will forgo here.

Anyway the only ethic I really lack is industriousness. Which I'm pretty industrious but I don't think I'm as cleanly, neat or tidy as I could be but not horribly filthy either. All in all I think I naturally have these virtues. I don't live by them so much or obey them so much as they are part of me. I simply by nature am honest (though I'll lie to an enemy or for survival), by my nature I'm loyal etc. and that's what "virtue" means- it's something you are, not something you just do or obey. A good example is that I hear many low lifes in society say they won't steal because they don't want to go back to jail, or they wont cheat or lie because they don't want to get attacked. I wouldn't steal exept in extreme circumstances because I'm not a theif. It's just in my nature to be honest. Part of my instinct and blood. That's true virtue.

Even though mostly we are either well bred and born with virtue or not we can still make an inward spiritual change and cultivate ourselves to fundamentally change our nature to some degree. Our upbringing, society and personal will also has an effect on virtue so it is worth trying to better yourself in accordance with the virtues of your culture.

Interestingly one of the exercises I put forth in my book is a criticism ritual precisely like this thread. First you start out with each person saying something that they could improve about themselves. Then you go around and say something that someone else could improve about themselves, then thirdly (so as not to be too negative) say something good about yourself and someone else and reaffirm their value in the community.

The last virtue is probably an intersting one to explore though: Pride: means not accepting white guilt. Good health means pursuing Eugenics: its part of persevering. Likewise on the code of 9: never take advantage of the weak doesn't mean you have to prop them up either. You can let them fail on their own so long as you deal fairly with them in a polite manner. Obviously people who are "liberally" (Marxist) minded can misinterpret some of the virtues.

Last Online
    Friday, June 22nd, 2012 @ 04:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    English, Dutch.
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Single adult
    Occupation
    laboer
    Politics
    n/a
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post

Patience, is not one of mine. I'm quick to lose it especially if it involves people who talk nonsense and are ignorant about Germany/Germans.
    I don't see that as a bad thing. Mine is not being raised in the German culture, I'm having to learn about it now, on my own.
    The coward believes he will live forever
    If he holds back in the battle,
    But in old age he shall have no peace
    Though spears have spared his limbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast