Thread: Latin American "White". "White" Doesn't Have the Same Meaning in Latin America As It Does in America

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

Latin American "White". "White" Doesn't Have the Same Meaning in Latin America As It Does in America

A recent study finds Amerindian mitochondrial DNA haplogroups predominate in the population of Argentina:

Amerindian haplogroups were most frequent in the north and south representing more than 60% of the sequences. A slightly different situation was observed in central Argentina where the Amerindian haplogroups represented less than 50%, and the European contribution was more relevant. [. . .] A minor contribution of African lineages was observed throughout the country.
    Autosomal evidence indicates Argentinians harbor substantial Amerindian and minor African admixture.
    Regarding autosomal evidence of admixture, the relative European, native American, and West African genetic contributions to the gene pool of La Plata were estimated to be 67.55% (+/-2.7), 25.9% (+/-4.3), and 6.5% (+/-6.4), respectively.
    Argentina is generally perceived to be the whitest country in Latin America. See Brazilian or Puerto Rican "whites" if you require further evidence "white" doesn't have the same meaning in Latin America as it does in America.
    http://racehist.blogspot.com/2009/08...can-white.html

Last Online
    Sunday, January 17th, 2010 @ 11:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Euro-Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Iberia, Germania
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I can't answer for Argentina, but in Brazil, european immigration lasted roughly 130 years, from 1825 to 1955. Previously to that, Brazil had a very small white population. The reason behind immigration was the end of the slave trade, in 1850. Brazil needed labourers. But politicians back then also saw a chance to whiten the country's population. Misigenation wasn't a natural process, it was a rational and planned programme. I, myself, am a product of whitening, since I do have indigenous ancestry. That's why I feel myself as an euro-BRAZILIAN, linked to Europe and BRAZIL by ties of blood, and not as a nostalgic castaway waiting for being rescued by my supposed peers across the ocean.
    Del espíritu del cristianismo nace, efectivamente, el sentimiento de igualdad, viciado por cierto ascético menosprecio de la selección espiritual y la cultura. De la herencia de las civilizaciones clásicas, nacen el sentido del orden, de la jerarquía y el respeto religioso del genio, viciados por cierto aristocrático desdén de los humildes y los débiles. El porvenir sintetizará ambas sugestiones del pasado, en una fórmula inmortal. [Rodó]

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree that much of Latin America uses the definition of white incorrectly. There are actual white people in Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, etc, but in varying amounts. How many are truly of European descent, I have no idea. I take each individual as a case by case basis. Sadly though I never trust anyone from Latin America saying that they are white, I have to see them first. I know all too well that many of them identify themselves as white when they are obviously mixed. Sometimes it's deliberate, other times they simply do not know any better.

Last Online
    6 Days Ago @ 12:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Argentina hasn't been White since the the 1990s. You can determine when it's majority-Whiteness ended by when it's public school system crashed. Argentina used to have a world-class public school system on par with the United States, until both nations went down hill starting the 1990s. Mass immigration killed both. Argentina probably still has the largest White population, but hasn't been majority-White for atleast 20 years.

Last Online
    12 Hours Ago @ 08:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Married
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Poor mennonites that are trapped in the hell hole that is Latinamerica. I feel really sorry for them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fylgje For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago @ 12:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaby View Post
    Argentina hasn't been White since the the 1990s. You can determine when it's majority-Whiteness ended by when it's public school system crashed. Argentina used to have a world-class public school system on par with the United States, until both nations went down hill starting the 1990s. Mass immigration killed both. Argentina probably still has the largest White population, but hasn't been majority-White for at least 20 years.
    Not sure about that. Argentina seems pretty White to me, but then there is the issue of early mixing, the mestizos resulting from this may have been genetically dissolved in the general population.

Paraguay had an official miscegenation policy:
    Many credit Francia with modern Paraguay’s pluriethnic, plurilingual, and multicultural society. He remains a mysterious figure, who had a doctorate in theology but in politics behaved as a French Jacobin. Running an austere and orderly iron-fisted government, Francia secured Paraguayan independence by isolating his nation from the outside world.

Francia was Paraguay’s ‘Supreme Dictator’ from 1814 to 1840. Thomas Jefferson Page/Wikimedia Commons
    In 1814, Francia issued a decree forbidding marriages between “European men” (namely, Spaniards) and women “known as Spanish” (born in Spain or of Spanish descent). European men would only be allowed to marry indigenous, mixed-race or black Paraguayan women.

By preventing the white elite from reproducing, Francia’s decree had the undeniable potential to allow the newly independent Paraguay to rise as a mixed-race nation.
    http://theconversation.com/from-para...equality-68655
    Funny how ("progressive") people are only up in arms about segregation.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 08:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Politics
    Tradition, Monarchy, Nationalism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Building on Einarr’s post, there are pockets of European groups in Latin America, specifically Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay. Along the Argentina-Brazil-Uruguay border, is where you’ll find the most Europeans, especially Brazil with its famous German population. In Mexico, you’ll find Spaniards, Italians, and surprisingly some Germans and English or Irish, in places like Guadalajara, Jalisco and Nuevo León. But, it’s Latin America and most of its population is heavily mixed, often having entire generations being mixed, you can’t exepct anything else, especially when compared to places like the United States and Canada (Anglo-America).

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 11:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English, German, Danish, Norwegian, Swiss-German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R1b-S21
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Utah Utah
    Paleo-Conservative
    Religion
    Mormon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Latin American countries with a white majority:
    Argentina and Uruguay

Countries with a large white minority:
    Brazil and Cuba

Countries with a small white minority:
    Mexico, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Venezuela and Chile.

The rest of Latin America is probably about 2% white or less. It's also worth noting that most whites in Latin America aren't Germanic. Only Southern Brazil (particularly Santa Catarina) and parts of Argentina have large numbers

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pioneer Stock For This Useful Post: