No one has misery seen
who saw not that,
how the hand there
of Herkia was burnt.
They then the woman led
to a foul slough.
So were Gudrún’s
wrongs avenged.

This is a brief description of some key elements of this mythological story.
I interprete this text under a few points of view. I don’t pretend this are the only right ones, I say this is a possible one.

The language which is used here is the language of pictures. We can see internally what is happening. Instead of giving dry religious instructions in the form of intellectual teachings, mythology uses pictures. So we have to understand the pictures. But under what point of view? Is it historical, a mythos, folklore or can we also understand it under a religious pretext?

For me it has aspects of all this but as I am myself a religious person I interprete it foremostly under a religious aspect. Under religious I understand it is in relation to the gods. And also it shows us to obtain direct knowledge of the Gods. That means the story is based at the level of our human experience but gives us a picture on a level higher than that. On the level of the soul. That means we have to interprete the elements as keys which show an expierence how to reach the level of the Gods. The viewpoint is a certain occurrence in the soul given in a description of our ‘every’day life. Thus I identify the elements according to my own experience and back it up with descriptions from other religions. Proof of the correctness I cannot give, proof in this case is only the own expierence, which everyone has to make oneself, it cannot be transferred.

Let us start with the keyelement of the 30 warriors which enter with Thiodekr. The number 30 is a very common number in religions. The oldest representation is more than 30,000 years old.

It is a horse with 30 markings along the ridge and neck. It is from the cave Vogelherd in Germany.

I believe the 30 markings mean 30 different thoughts/attitudes/workideas to stop the stream of the many thoughts and get aligned with thoughts which brings one closer to the Gods. Let me elaborate that on the new Testament. Jesus started to teach as he was 30 years old. For me that means he mastered the 30 workidea and got this way a connection to God. This 30 workideas would be for example: ‘Do not judge’. Which would bring one out of the everdayactivity and confront the lower self with a workidea which could bring one out of the bogs of the many thoughts.

To judge (in german we distinguish between ‘urteilen’ und ‘verurteilen’. Urteilen means to see something as it is, verurteilen means to to misjudge, to only assume the negative about someone) in this case means to leave the bad thought, the bad energy behind and to go on. Bhuddists speak of ‘verhaftet sein’ to stick to certain ideas of which one cannot let go. This would for example distract one from the focus of God/Nirwana/Gods etc. To not judge would free one to direct the attention back to the Gods instead of dwelling in what is negative. Another of those workideas could be ‘your speak be only yes or no’, nmeaning to not engage in idle talking as that would evenly distract you from the rememberance of the Gods. I think you get the idea of what I mean.

In Stonehenge we find 6 rings. The 3rd and the 5th ring have each 30 Elements. The 5th one are 30 big stones which form 30 gates which lead to the inner of the temple. That means the 30 thoughts which lead you to the innermost part of yourself where you will find the Gods.
In our weekdays we have ‘Saturday’. The day of Saturn, Saturn is the 6 planet and it takes about 30 Earthyears for Saturn to circle around the sun. In egyptian mythology Horus has 30 arrows. That means with these arrows he kills negative thoughts which pull you down.

In the Bhagavad Gita it is said that Arjuna, the hero, has 30 arrows in his quiver. That means the same as with horus. Also in the cave paintings of Lascaux we find the 30, at least at 2 locations. In religions we find the 30 so often that I stop here.

The woman - Here in this descrition we find Gudrun who has to prove her purity against allegation of being a whore. The woman is a very old theme. We find socalled Venus Figures en masse in prehistory, the Venus of Willendorf is only the most famous. We also find her in other religious descriptions, like in the new Testament, Mary the mother of Jesus, in egyptian mythology we find Isis, in Hindu mythology we have draupathi the wife of the 5 Pandavas, and so on. For my understanding woman stands for emotions. Or in particular for a certain emotion. Gudrun has to prove her purity, that means only a pure emotion can do certain things. A pure emotion is not accompanied by other motivations, like greed, hate, sexual desire, etc. it is a pure emotion by itself. Mary, the mother of Jesus, was considered a virgin, a pure woman. She was not associated with anything/anyone else and no affiliation with ‘men’.

We can divide a human by 4 different brains/centers: the instinctive. The moving. The emotional and the intellectual . They all work very differently and have different tasks. Lets take for example a men stumbling over a step. First there is the fear to fall (emotional) then the body tries to prevent the fall (moving center) and last, we turn the head around and ask us: What caused it.(intellectual center). As we see centers have different speeds, they work with different fuel or energy. The emotional one is the fastet and works with the highest form of energy. For briefness lets focus on the emotional center.

We can also divide the emotional center in 3 subdivisions according to their relationship to attention. The lowest one works without attention: Asking someone how he/she feels, exchanging preset sentences about the weather, talking to each other over a beer , I guess you get the idea. The next division is the part who wants that attention is paid to them. The woman who is being difficult, dramatic, loves exaggerations etc. The 3rd part is one who can direct attention and can hold it to a certain subject: to study psychology, love a painting and looking at it, be ecstatic about the sixtine chapel, making and composing emotional music, prayer, meditation, compassion, understanding etc. The woman we focus on are from this division. That particular emotion is actual a gate. Something one has to produce in oneself. It is refined, vulnerable open. (it has to be protected though).

In Stonehenge one can identify that function as the Stone out of the rings. At the Entrance of the temple. But not part of it.

The next we have is the cauldron. This is the cesspool of the chaotic inner working of men. The working and emanations of the four lower centers. Here you find the ‘Fenriswolf’ and other monsters, cunning Loki, etc.

The Jarkna Stone - The Jarkna Stone is traditionally a white opal. Which represents to my understanding that what modern esotericism calls ‘consciousness’, the 3rd eye, the real I, and so on. In Hindumythology we have a description of this part as ‘whiter than snow’. Often we have it as ‘The Sun’. In Stonehenge, the entrance stone is used for letting the light fall into the innermost part of the temple, the altarstone.

The task Gudrun has to accomplish is to get the jarkna stone from the bottom of the cauldron without getting burnt. That means she cannot be effected by the ongoings in the mechanics of men but has to hold to itself, she has to be pure, not connect to any of the things in the inner life of men. As it is only her who can produce what is represented by the Jarkna Stone. Her rival Herkia is a Kebswife of Attila. Some sort of whore if you will. As she tries she gets burnt, meaning she cannot produce the state represented by the Jarkna Stone. She is not pure but afflicted by greed, sexual desire or else. Anyone of those would kill ‘consciousness’ and bring it down back into the innermacchinations of a human being.

The Gods are beings of a higher world, this is like ‘consciousness’. I see the Gods often as respresentative of certain aspects of it.