Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Thoughts on the Word "Aryan" (Wikipedia Entry)?

Last Online
    Monday, April 26th, 2010 @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My thoughts are that Aryan definitely refers to a race; using the Griffith translation of the Rig Veda one finds various references: "subdue the tribes of the Dasa to the Arya" (VI.25), "both races, Indra, of opposing foemen, O Hero, both the Arya and the Dasa" (VI.33), and so on.

I believe that the Aryans were Nordic and that the word refers not only to race but to the elite or even simply the twice-born (initiated) castes (artisan, warrior, priest) and thus to a traditional path.

That the word contains three or more meanings is not unusual.
    "The human state is an exit." -Frithjof Schuon

"Make me immortal in that realm where they move even as they list, in the third sphere of inmost heaven where lucid worlds are full of light." -Rig Veda IX.113

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I know that not less nationalist movements use or have used the term "Aryan" but it has a negative connotation to me, it´s a personal bias. If I hear or read "Aryan" I´ve to think of ancient Indian or Iranian people (and such) more or less automatically... So I try to don´t use this word, I prefer "Germanic", "European" or even "White" instead.

An other issue is the laughable "Pan Aryan movement" which includes Turks, Arabs, Persians and Berberids among others.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Thursday, September 7th, 2017 @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic and Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles & Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The Aryans of the Vedas were surely not European Nordics but they were still a related type like the Kalash today. As we know after WW2 it became unfashionable to use the word Aryan outside of an In-Ir context. However its PIE root was the self-identification of either the PIEs or their elites. Aryaman, Armenak, Erimon, Irmin(?) etc are all mythological figures with names coming from this root.

With the genetics components research its now possible to identify the Indo-Europeans with a Metal Age migration. Some astute people now refer to the Ancient North Eurasian in Europe and India as "they who must not be named".

When I think of Aryans I think of white steppe riders. A bit like white Mongols. Words like Germanic or Celtic are surely more relatable to most people, who are not racial nationalists. Europe is merely geography or politics. Then Whiteness is either anthropological science else colonial social constructs. (The defining of Whiteness changes over time in America.)

Reclaim the correct use of language.

Last Online
    Friday, October 14th, 2016 @ 12:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celt
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Youth
    Occupation
    Law student
    Politics
    Conservative, Nationalist
    Religion
    Lapsed Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    So how did the word Aryan, originally used to refer to the eastern parts of the Indo-European space including Iran (whose name is of the same root) and India, come to refer to northern Europeans and be used by the NS?

Personally, in reference to our own people, I don't like the term. Prefer Germanic, white, Nordic, etc.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Englisc View Post
    So how did the word Aryan, originally used to refer to the eastern parts of the Indo-European space including Iran (whose name is of the same root) and India, come to refer to northern Europeans and be used by the NS?

Personally, in reference to our own people, I don't like the term. Prefer Germanic, white, Nordic, etc.
    Historically the self-designation of "Aryan" was re-introduced into Germany, England and such with the rise of Indo-European philology. Likewise the "de-Nazification" hysteria after WW2 saw philological approaches themselves downplayed in Germany itself as well as the Anglosphere and to a lesser degree Scandinavia.

(I'm off a while now, will have access in a few days.)

Uniter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Ancestry
    Iceland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    State
    Reykjavik Reykjavik
    Thule
    Occupation
    Merit
    Politics
    Science
    Religion
    Unity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

'ar' means 'fire'

3.1 Sanskrit Literature
    References abound to an Aryan invasion in Sanskrit literature.
    The ancient singer praises the god who "destroyed the Dasyans and protected the Aryan colour." [Rg.V. III.34.9]
    and "the thunderer who bestowed on his white friends the fields, bestowed the sun, bestowed the waters." [Rg.V. I.100.18]
    Numerous are the references to "the black skin" `Krishnam Vacham' [Rg.V. IX.41.1, Sama Veda I.491, II.242] which is mentioned with abhorrence.
    Again " stromy gods who rush on like furious bulls and scatter the black skin." [Rg.V. IX.73.5]
    The singers mention "the black skin, the hated of Indra", being swept ourtof heaven [RgV. IX.73.5] "Indra protected in battle the Aryan worshipper, he subdued the lawless for Manu, he conqured the black skin." [Rg.V. I.130.8]
    The sacrificer poured out thanks to his god for "scattering the slave bands of black descent", and for stamping out " the vile Dasyan colour." [Rg.V. II.20.7, II.12.4]
    "Dasam varnam adharam" [Rg.V. II.12.4]
    [Muir part I, p.43, II, p.284, 323 etc.]

Quote Originally Posted by Catterick View Post
    The Aryans of the Vedas were surely not European Nordics
    don´t bother replying, but i present this: google.is/search?q=arctic+home+vedas

Quote Originally Posted by Catterick View Post
    When I think of Aryans I think of white steppe riders. A bit like white Mongols.
    granted.

The Rigveda mentions fortifications (púr), mostly made of mud and wood (palisades), mainly as the abode of hostile peoples, while the Aryan tribes live in víś, a term translated as "settlement, homestead, house, dwelling," but also "community, tribe, troops".[Mallory, 1989]
    Indra in particular has been described as "destroyer of fortifications," e.g. RV 4.30.20ab:
    satám asmanmáyinaam / purām índro ví asiyat
    "Indra overthrew a hundred fortresses of stone."
    The Rigveda contains, according to some, phrases referring to elements of an urban civilization, other than the mere viewpoint of an invader aiming at sacking the fortresses. For example, Indra is compared to the lord of a fortification (pūrpatis) in RV 1.173.10, while quotations such as a ship with a hundred oars in 1.116 and metal forts (puras ayasis) in 10.101.8 all occur in mythological contexts only.

Aryans have traditionally worshiped fire. 'Ar' in Icelandic means 'fire'. Romans worshiped fire. Germanics did. "Indians" did. Greeks did. it was a Cult of Fire.

so-called red-haired people have a "hair of fire". some have blonde or ashen-blond hair and a fiery beard (red, white, yellow, mix).

even some of the pharaohs of Egypt had red bears. this is not Nazi pseudoscience, but mainstream info anyone can find.

i encourage people also to look into Tocharian mummies.
    "I have reached these lands but newly
    From an ultimate dim Thule
    From a wild weird clime, that lieth, sublime,
    Out of SPACE — out of TIME
    ."
    Edgar Allan Poe

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 2nd, 2016 @ 05:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Kurgan
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    The Illuminati
    Politics
    Zen Fascist
    Religion
    The Old Gods
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Personally I don't like the term, it's outdated and comes with too much baggage and I've never understood why so much fuss is made over it.

Indians, Afghans and Persians are Aryans, yet Finns and Hungarians are not?.

Calling somebody an "Aryan" is just like saying someone is an "American."
    Anglo-Saxons are forbidden the same level of racial consciousness of other groups (even amongst Whites).

While our many accomplishments are forgotten, there is no end of blaming Anglo-Saxons for the problems and inadequacies of the world (White & non-white alike).

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thulean Imperial Inquisitor View Post
    don´t bother replying, but i present this: google.is/search?q=arctic+home+vedas
    Sure the IEs came from the North and the Vedic Aryans can be termed Nordic, but broadly speaking. But still different from their wider-headed relatives near the Baltic.

even some of the pharaohs of Egypt had red bears. this is not Nazi pseudoscience, but mainstream info anyone can find.
    Mostly Mitannian admixture in the Egyptian elites. Amenhotep III was racially Corded and could have passed in Scandinavia.

i encourage people also to look into Tocharian mummies.
    Xinjiang is near Afghanistan so its not as big a thing as people think. Many Afghans and tribal Pakistanis are depigmented. Same with the hybrid Uyhurs of Xinjiang itself.

Not counting the Mongoloids, arriving from Tibet first, there were three Caucasoid races. The first was the Pamirid type arriving as settled farmers. Then two more white types - the robust type found in the Pit Graves and the gracilised Indo-Afghan.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar Thorwald View Post
    Indians, Afghans and Persians are Aryans, yet Finns and Hungarians are not?.
    Finns have a couple of Mongoloid frequencies of dental traits though they are overall whites.

Last Online
    Friday, October 7th, 2016 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Cape Province Cape Province
    Youth
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If you are in school in anthropology and use the word Aryan in a:

Linguistics course----OK
    Cultural Anthropology course---instant F
    Archaeology course-------better be talkin' about India
    Physical Anthropology course---one way or another you are headed out the door.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast