Thread: 1983: The Brink Of Apocalypse (Video)

These criminal nights
    Last Online
    5 Minutes Ago @ 01:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,402 Posts

1983: The Brink Of Apocalypse (Video)

The best documentary (channel 4) I've watched so far this summer, the soundtrack is awesome, featuring the best songs of the eighties - check it out.

1983: The Brink Of Apocalypse

An extremely powerful programme, this documentary focuses on 8 November 1983, a date now recognised as one of the most dangerous moments in the entire history of the Cold War. On this near-fateful day, a series of accidents nearly unleashed the Third World War. Senior figures in the Soviet Union had convinced themselves that they were about to come under nuclear attack from the West, and the vast Soviet nuclear arsenal of missiles, bombers and submarines were put on maximum alert, ready to launch a full nuclear retaliatory attack on Western Europe and the US. Armageddon beckoned. This documentary tells the dramatic story behind this sequence of events when Soviet fingers hovered perilously over the nuclear button. The intelligence communities in the US, Europe and the former USSR have never before admitted to the scale of this crisis.

[GV]-1630001170436508560&ei=jA1VSsyxIJOD-QajkIG9BA&q=1983+the+brink+of+apocalypse &dur=3[/GV]
    “Traditionally, sex has been a very private, secretive activity. Herein perhaps lies its powerful force for uniting people in a strong bond. As we make sex less secretive, we may rob it of its power to hold men and women together.” - Thomas Szasz, “The Second Sin”

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Yes, I remeber seeing this documentary.
    If I remember correctly, there was a NATO exercise going on, dealing with a hypothetical def con 1 situation, but the Soviet eavesdroppers mistook it for real events.

Those years were my formative ones, with the ever-present threat of nuclear war. I even planned in my head what I would do if the sirens started sounding when I was at school, home, or a number of other places.

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    And should we have stepped over the brink, this film below shows what would have happened to your average Western European city.
    I watched this film when I was 14 years old and it shaped my 'Weltanschauung' and course of my life forever.

Instead of studying the subjects I was strongest in (music, history, etc.) I opted for the sciences, especially biology and chemistry, in the quest to survive such an apocalytical event.

This is still my favourite film of all time, despite its rather old feel, now.
    Basically, it's a 1984 BBC drama-documentary, chronicling the fate of 2 families (one middle class, the other working class), living in Sheffield, in the run up and aftermath of a full scale 3 billion megatonne nuclear exchange between NATO and the Warsaw Pact countries.

Threads BBC 1984