Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Did You Become Atheist and Why?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

How Did You Become Atheist and Why?

Exactly what it says on the tin: What experiences in your life led to your decision to reject the notion of divinity? Which arguments moved you to reject that concept? How did your views in that area mature to your current perception thereof? Etc. Etc. Pp.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    38 Minutes Ago @ 09:58 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    486 Posts
    Actually it was more the absence of experiences.

People kept telling that God is good and wants all the best for his people and that he loves everyone and so on.
    Reality though is quite different from that paradise vision, and there simply was nothing divine about the people's existence, but only suffering and death.
    I thought, if God exists and he wants all good for his people, then he wouldnt allow wars and all the suffering.
    And then the next problem, there is no way to communicate with (the christian) god. You simply are forced to believe in something completely unprooven. Some naive questions in that direction when I was seven or eight or something was the seed of doubt, that ended in the conviction about his non-existence shortly after. The answers just didnt make any sense and were quickly unveiled as lie and fantasy.

So the existence as atheist was just normal for me. I decided that I neither need the commandments of an imagined god nor the believe in his existence to be a happy human being.

That though didnt leave a complete spiritual void. I'm pretty sure that there is some more between the sky and the earth, but I'm likewise sure that this has nothing to do with the picture the christian belief paints. The spiritual experiences that I made were of a quite different nature, even when I cant describe them exactly. I didnt provoke them, they just happened to me, so I wasnt prepared. But they only came half from the outside, a better desciption would maybe be that something for a moment manifested outside of me which had its origin within me. Well, as said, cant describe that.

The term atheist for me refers mainly to the christian god, which I reject including all its commandments and concepts. Wether real or unreal in its source, the manifestations of this belief are very real, but they are alien and more hostile than friendly, more envying than granting, more evil than good in their nature.
    Along with my own maturing and becoming a social being my argumentation against christianity is mainly a socio-psychological one. I'm pretty sure that the religious manifestation of it causes serious psychological defects in humans, due to its nature-denying concept.

Probably I'm on the borderline between atheist and realising the divine, and probable ways to it in heathenism. At least I would have less problems with accepting a pantheon than an envy little desert demon. Not least because the pantheon seems to be more in line with the partly quite different experiences I've made. And this pantheon seems to be in favour of the strength and powers within humans and does not try to suppress them. But the same way I have mainly followed my feelings (it just felt all wrong was first and then followed the logical investigation) when becoming an atheist, the same way I must follow my feelings when becoming a full heathen. I dont think that this is fully a conscious decision alone.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Last Online
    Friday, April 19th, 2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    bartender
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm agnostic, so I do believe in the possibility that there's a god or whatever. The reason I tend to doubt the existence of a god or gods is because of all of the crap that goes on in the world. What creator who cares about their creations would allow war, poverty, disease, etc. to go on at the rate that they do in our world?
    Also, if there is a god, why did it wait until 125,000 years ago to create us after creating the universe 10 or so billion years ago? I think theists should ask themselves why they believe in something so irrational. If there's a god/creator, who created it(the god itself)?
    The reason I'm agnostic and not atheist is due to my fear of death. Every living thing fears it, and I guess for most people believing in life after death makes passing away seem less frightening. For me hoping there is a god is kind of like wanting to believe that wishing upon a star will actually cause that wish to come true. It's just a hope.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 @ 10:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German/Dutch/Austrian/Danish
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have experienced an extreme lack of evidence in the midst of a search for the correct religion. Since I reject all assertions with no evidence (such as leprechauns), no religion fit my definition of true or even likely.

In my studies of history and science, I have noticed a trend. The scientific method has been humanity's guiding light, and has given us almost every advancement we enjoy. The scientific method has proven itself invaluable to the collection and application of knowledge, and to dismiss it in favour of something that feels good I feel would cloud my thought processes.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    So far I am of the church of whats happening now, meaning show me what you have done lately? The christian religion has had nothing happen for 2,000 years and if anything did happen there is no real proof.

I do believe there is something I just do not Know what that something is.

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 @ 04:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    Married
    Religion
    Empiricist + Rationalist Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why did I became atheist?

I observed many religions are actually derived from primitive beliefs. Therefore, I strongly believe that intelligent individuals shall not believe in god, as nature would be very unforgiving for those who misinterpret them by primitive beliefs instead of logic. We are living under the realm of nature, not gods.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 08:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeGreen View Post
    I observed many religions are actually derived from primitive beliefs. Therefore, I strongly believe that intelligent individuals shall not believe in god, as nature would be very unforgiving for those who misinterpret them by primitive beliefs instead of logic. We are living under the realm of nature, not gods.
    Logic would be the conclusion that we have no evidence to prove that there is or isn't a god. To believe or disbelieve are equally without logic.
    Folks, none of us has a clue as to what is really going on (or isn't going on), any attempt at an explanation is nothing more than intellectual flights of fancy.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 08:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeGreen View Post
    You could just as well believe that the natural laws were created for a reason and see them as the de facto commands of the gods.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    You could just as well believe that the natural laws were created for a reason and see them as the de facto commands of the gods.
    Yup, as a somewhat analytical type of Heathen, I found much of scientific explanation with the concept of Orlog, the Natural Primeval Law which is immutable.

Essentially, this notion of Orlog does not contradict with science, as anything that is found to be a law of nature, is obviously within the whlole concept.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 @ 10:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German/Dutch/Austrian/Danish
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Logic would be the conclusion that we have no evidence to prove that there is or isn't a god. To believe or disbelieve are equally without logic.
    Folks, none of us has a clue as to what is really going on (or isn't going on).
    It agree with you that I cannot say that deities do or do not exist. However, with a lack of evidence altogether on their behalf, I experience a lack of theism, which is the meaning of 'atheism'. While we cannot answer the question of the origin of the universe, simply making something up with no evidence to support it only inhibits our search for the actual origin.

I do not replace an uncomfortable unknown with an unsubstantiated story for my own peace of mind, as this would prevent any further search. This is why I subscribe to no religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    any attempt at an explanation is nothing more than intellectual flights of fancy
    Actually, many attempts to explain it are legitimate scientific theories, and they are tested thoroughly and not accepted until proven. This is not intellectual folly, this is our best chance at understanding the world around us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast