@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    686 Posts

Ethnic Makeup of Australia: Much More Anglo-Saxon Than the USA

A little while ago I posted some figures from the 1980s about the ethnic makeup of the U.S. population. I have now come across in my files some 1981 figures about the ethnic makeup of the Australian population. The figures come from a publication called Facts, which was, I believe, put out by the IPA, an Australian conservative think-tank based in Melbourne.
    The percentages for the major categories were: Combined English, Scottish and Welsh 35% (versus 14.5% in the USA), Irish 26% (versus 9.5% in the USA), German 8%, Italian 7%, Greek 4% and Maltese 3%.
    So Australia is MUCH more Anglo-Saxon than the USA. The Asian influx over the last 25 years would however have reduced all the percentages above somewhat.
    The very small size of the WASP element in the US population is however remarkable testimony to how influential a small minority can be—which is also shown by the case of the Jews of course. Anglo-Saxons are much more influential than the Jews, however: Americans speak English rather than Hebrew and Protestant Christianity has had far more converts than Judaism.
    http://majorityrights.com/index.php/..._of_australia/

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    To me these findings are astonishing regarding, I was always under the impression that the basic stratum of the US was English, Scottish and Welsh. To hear that they make up only 14% o the population I find startling.

However on the last point, that Protestantism has had more converts than Judaism, I'd like to point out that this is not a particularly relevant measure of influence as Jews are not evangelical. Within Jewish culture and tradition, Judaism is viewed entirely as "a religion for the Jewish people."
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    I've mentioned this in several threads but the English contribution to the American genepool is undercounted. A person who is 3/8 English, 1/8 German & 1/4 Irish may claim German & Irish ancestry on census forms but not bother with the English, which is not viewed as an ethnicity by many. Ethnic to many Americans means something other then the majority or English. Manay Americans don't bother to claim an ethnicity, they are primary of English descent. Some claim American, those persons are mainly of English, Scottish or Protestant Irish descent. Actually many persons claiming Irish, probably a majority, are of Protestant Ulster stock.

I do agree however that Australia would have a greater proportion of Anglo-Saxon compared to America. Australia did not receive the great influx of Germans that America received & it's non-Europid population is still well below America's 33%. Though the total number of Anglo-Saxons in America (population 306 million) would be greater then Australia's total population of 21 million. 14% of 306 million would be 28,840,000 though I think Americans of English, Scottish & Protestant Irish descent make up at least 1/3 of the total.

Last Online
    Monday, April 23rd, 2012 @ 08:11 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    English, German
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Deist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    An Anglo Saxon, in North America, consists of people of British decent, and includes basically anybody of Germanic stock, as well as French Hugenots (who maybe quite Germanic ethnically). So to say that Australia is more Anglo Saxon than America is not true, because the largest ethnic group of America is German (soon to be replaced by Mexicans unfortunately), and German-Americans are Anglo-Saxons as much as your British-American.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    Actually many persons claiming Irish, probably a majority, are of Protestant Ulster stock.
    Undoubtedly some, I don't know about a majority... Anyway why wouldn't they simply describe themselves as Scots-Irish, or Ulster-Scots? That's a perfectly usable and well known term is it not?

By the same token I could point out what many Ulster Protestants would find, if they did the research, that that are actually decedents of Gaelic people, and therefore ethnically no different from the Irish.

From wikipedia;

Irish Americans (Irish: Éireannaigh-Mheiriceánach) are citizens of the United States of Irish ethnicity who trace their ancestry in Ireland. A total of 36,495,800 Americans (more than 12% of total population) reported Irish ancestry in the 2006 American Community Survey.[2] The only self-reported ancestral group larger than Irish Americans are German Americans.[2] Note that this figure does not include those reporting Scots-Irish ancestry, who are counted separately, and account for at least five million additional Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American
    I do agree however that Australia would have a greater proportion of Anglo-Saxon compared to America.
    In Australia there isn't the level of animosity between Protestants and Catholics as there often is in other places. The main body of the population is usually described as "Anglo-Celtic", so measuring the numbers of Catholics vs Protestants isn't as politically relevant as it might be elsewhere imo. For reference though, here's a chart, also from wikipedia;

Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    Undoubtedly some, I don't know about a majority... Anyway why wouldn't they simply describe themselves as Scots-Irish, or Ulster-Scots? That's a perfectly usable and well known term is it not?
    There are a lot of people claiming Irish ancestry in places like the South where there are few Catholics or the rural Midwest where most Catholics are of German origins. They are most likely of Protestant Irish stock. Before the 1840s very few Catholics or Irish Catholics immigrated to America. Irish was assumed to be Protestant. Andrew Jackson was Irish. Scots-Irish & Ulster Scots were terms that came into favoritism after the Irsih-Catholic migration to differentiate the earlier Presbyterian settlers from the later Catholics. Pre-1840 ut would be the Orange Lodges that would hold parades on St. Patrick's Day.

There are about 70-80 million Catholics in the US. Roughly 1/2 are Hispanic/Latino some Filipino. There were about 40 million Catholics in 1970 just as the great Hispanic migration was starting to get underway. Most would have been of European origins & it would appear that would be about how many Catholics there are today of European descent. Subtract German CVatholics (about 1/2 of the German-American population) French & French Canadians, Poles & Italians, And some of the Catholics are of Anglo-Saxon origins because of intersectarian marriages (more common in recent years) or because of converts from the more socially liberal mainstream Prostestant churches. The Irish probably don't account for more then 10 million of the Catholics in the US (though they do dominate the Church hierarchy). The majority of the 34 million Americans claiming Irish ancestry are not Catholic nor have any of their ancestors since the Reformation.

By the same token I could point out what many Ulster Protestants would find, if they did the research, that that are actually decedents of Gaelic people,
    I'm sure many Protestant Irish could find some Gaelic ancestry, just as many Catholics could find English or Scottish ancestry. Pat Buchanan, with a fine Scottish surname, comes from a Catholic family.

and therefore ethnically no different from the Irish.
    Racially there may be no difference but ethnically there is plenty of difference. Religion has always been a big part of ethnic identity & modes different cultures. The Loyalists & Nationalists would have to do more then become atheists to stop fighting each other after 300+ years. They would have to give up their individual ethnic identities & forget about their seperate histories.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I freely accept that many or even most of those claiming to be simply "Irish" will not be "pure" Irish Catholic on both sides of their family all the way back, but I still doubt that a very substantial portion of them are of Northern Ireland Protestant ancestry. Not least, because I believe NI Protestants would by and large reject Irish as an identity in favor of Scots-Irish or Ulster-Scots.

There are a lot of people claiming Irish ancestry in places like the South where there are few Catholics.

According to this map relatively few of those claiming Irish ancestry live in the south;

Irish Americans.

The areas where there are large numbers of people claiming to be Irish also usually have a significant Catholic population of around 30%, which would seem to cover the figures claiming to be Irish (10% of the population) quite easily and still leave a substantial amount of room (3 times as much) for Catholics of other ethnicity's.

These maps don't prove conclusively that most people claiming to be Irish are also Catholic but they would seem to give quite a strong indication in that direction.

If we look at the locations of German Americans, there is some overlap with the Irish around the great lakes area, but the main concentration of Germans seems to lie in the Upper Midwest where the Irish are in markedly shorter supply.

German Americans.

I freely accept that many or even most of those claiming to be simply "Irish" will not be "pure" Irish Catholic, but I still doubt that a very substantial number of them are Northern Ireland Protestant.

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Your map only shows the ancestry claimed by the greatest number of persons. It doesn't show the second or third. There are not many counties in the US where Irish wouldn't be among the top 3.

Most people claiming Irish ancestry in the US are descended from 18th century settlers from Ulster. For a long time in America 'Irish' didn't imply also being Catholic & that is still true in many parts of the US, outside of Boston or New York. So claiming Irish ancestry is not a stigma for descendents of the Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots in America. The current labels that apply in 21st century Ulster do not apply in America.

Most of those claiming Irish ancestry from a Protestant background are probably also part English, if not more English then Irish, without claiming English ancestry. I have already explained in many posts how English is under reported in ancestry surveys. Among many Americans of Old Stock English ancestry it is more common to claim the minority Irish & German ancestry then the majority English.