Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,408 Posts

Video: 1066, The Battle For Middle Earth

Cool, entertaining Channel 4 documentary, making use of a fictionalized story line to illustrate how the Anglosaxons repelled the Vikings, and then took on the Norman invader, in the fateful year that was 1066.

The action scenes turned out nicely, especially when considering the documentary's budget. As a whole "1066, The Battle For Middle Earth" is crafted in the tradition of the fantasy/epic adventure/medieval/romance movie genre that has been so popular ever since 'Braveheart' appeared onto the scene.

Religion doesn't feature prominently in the doc, however, I'm curious as to whether the Anglosaxons, but first and foremost the Vikings, were already so Christianized that God's name should be evoked more often than Odin's by the actors, which is what happens. Also, ignore the fact that the Anglosaxon's helmets aren't accurately depicted, unless you want to spoil the whole experience.

The Anglosaxons, Vikings and Normans talk only briefly in their native tongue, in the opening scenes, afterwards we have to settle for English - both the Anglosaxons and Viking world feature prominently in the story, but the Anglosaxon perspective dominates.

That being said, if you got the time to watch both parts of the doc, you should.

Moment to look out for (and I quote): When England doesn't bow down to bounty hunters.

Watch Part 1

Crowhurst newlywed Tofi and his farmer friend Leofric are torn from their Sussex homes by the English warrior Ordgar and summoned to defend the English coast from invasion. But while the army of King Harold waits in the south, fierce Vikings set sail from the fjords of the north.

The Vikings land in Cleveland - and annihilate the men of Yorkshire at the Battle of Fulford. Hearing of this surprise invasion, our English fighters are ordered to march 280 miles north to repel the invaders. After an epic trek they meet the Vikings at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. But the Vikings have divided their force - and the English triumph.

It's the end of the Viking age, and Ordgar, Tofi and Leofric have survived. But news soon reaches them that the Normans have landed in Sussex. Their own homes are under attack, so they must run all the way south again to save all that they love.

Watch Part 2

Tofi, Leofric and Ordgar are reinforced by the Viking warrior Snorri as they race south to save Crowhurst and defend England from the Norman invasion.

We meet the Normans - an alien army of men loyal to the ruthless Duke William. Among them, the ruthless Ozouf struggles to command the loyalty of the aristocratic and gentler Coutances, despite the intimidating presence of the tongueless Drogo.

Just outside London, the English fellowship divides. Ordgar and Snorri stay with the dwindling army of King Harold, while Tofi and Leofric set off to rescue the women of Crowhurst. To their horror, they discover that Crowhurst has been destroyed. Stumbling across the captive women and children in the southern forest, they fight off Ozouf and Coutances, rescue Judith and the child Aelf, and take them to safety.

“Traditionally, sex has been a very private, secretive activity. Herein perhaps lies its powerful force for uniting people in a strong bond. As we make sex less secretive, we may rob it of its power to hold men and women together.” - Thomas Szasz, “The Second Sin”

Last Online
    Friday, December 28th, 2018 @ 07:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I can testify these are very worth watching. Norwegian members especially might get a kick out of their 'unstoppable tough warrior badass viking' image in the first part (and the footage is interspersed with historical quotes to justify this portrayal).
    BTW, it seemed to me the 'English' cast in this vid was rather 'dark-ish celtic' looking, and the Vikings were somewhat 'big strong UP types'. I had to wonder if this was intentional, or just how things panned out (at least they didn't 'go BBC' on the cast and fill it with ethnics ). Id be interested to see if anyone else gets that feeling.

I'd been meaning to link to this since they aired, but was too lazy

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the Anglo-Saxons were quite christianised by that point in time, I think even a lot of Norse were. Ugh, 1066. Really my least favourite point in English history.

These criminal nights
    Last Online
    31 Minutes Ago @ 07:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Svartljos View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Anglo-Saxons were quite christianised by that point in time, I think even a lot of Norse were.
    Absolutely, I was mainly wondering about the raiding/pirating Vikings themselves, not the Scandinavians as a whole - as it's true that the Christianization of Scandinavia was nearing its completion by 1066.

And yes, as Renwein points out, for the Viking adepts (that means: between a quarter and a half of Skadi's population), this documentary promises instant gratification.
    “Traditionally, sex has been a very private, secretive activity. Herein perhaps lies its powerful force for uniting people in a strong bond. As we make sex less secretive, we may rob it of its power to hold men and women together.” - Thomas Szasz, “The Second Sin”

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    Very nice videos, enjoyed them alot.
    Interesting to see battles of the forefathers in video, will send this around

The vikings quote hĺvamĺl, but prey to God

Anachronism
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Interesting video. 1066 was indeed a fateful year. Think of how profoundly history would have been changed had Harald Hardrada decided to colonize Vinland instead of York. 10,000 viking warriors slaying every skreling in sight instead of their brethren Saxons, and not dying themselves. The army of Harold Godwinson would not have exhausted itself before the battle of Hastings, and with their amazing performance against the Norse, such a force should easily have handled William.

We would have had a more purely Germanic language and culture in England, and a Norse foothold would have been achieved in North America 1000 years ago. Christopher Columbus would have been met by longships and annihilated.

Last Online
    Friday, March 30th, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I'm glad they make these kind of historical films, since films are actually one of the best ways to make people aware and proud of their past (if it is a good film).

I'm not sure the Norwegians should be called Vikings, they had probably not so much in common with the earlier Vikings since this was an organized army led by a King, who was out to conquer and not simply to raid (although Vikings conquered sometimes). Also they were Christians.

I wish a really good movie about what happend in 1066 would be made, this documentary is very good but I would like to see more professionalism in the cinematic aspects

What is sad though, is with the current state of society, PC things are often added. I saw that a movie called 1066 is coming next year, and of course it will include a "Saracen woman". Just look at the recent Robin Hood series...

Luckily, this series seemed to have been spared of all that, although I haven't watched it all yet, but I will!

I have to appluad the makers of this series, since they didn't add all that Hollywood Good vs Evil stuff. The Norwegians weren't made to be evil monsters and some were even shown as well-educated, and they were pretty similar to the Anglo-Saxons overall. I'm really interested in the Anglo-Saxon history, and I'll probably buy the Chronicle sometime to read.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, October 16th, 2018 @ 02:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norse
    Ancestry
    Nordic countries
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Weapons maker
    Politics
    Live FREE or DIE
    Religion
    Ancient Norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think Sticklestad (battle) was in 1030 and Olaf Haraldsson and the christians were pretty soundly defeated even then if I am not correct

Quote Originally Posted by Huginn ok Muninn View Post
    Interesting video. 1066 was indeed a fateful year. Think of how profoundly history would have been changed had Harald Hardrada decided to colonize Vinland instead of York. 10,000 viking warriors slaying every skreling in sight instead of their brethren Saxons, and not dying themselves. The army of Harold Godwinson would not have exhausted itself before the battle of Hastings, and with their amazing performance against the Norse, such a force should easily have handled William.

We would have had a more purely Germanic language and culture in England, and a Norse foothold would have been achieved in North America 1000 years ago. Christopher Columbus would have been met by longships and annihilated.
    I really like the way you think!Excellent observation