Hundreds of pages released this week by the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee contain protocols of the closed hearings of this committee from the seminal year of 1967. Many deal with Vietnam, but the more interesting are those dealing with the Six-Day War.
The senators of the prestigious committee grilled then-Secretary of State Dean Rusk over the meaning of the looming crisis days before the war, and the meaning of the remarkable victory during the war.
Date: June 9, 1967. The senators contemplate ways to pressure Israel and the Arabs and delve into the question of Jewish power in America.
Secretary Dean Rusk: Well, I do not want to underestimate influence in this situation, but I just want to point out that it is not necessarily decisive when you are talking with countries about what they consider the life and death issues for them.
Senator Bourke Hickenlooper of Iowa: Do we not give tax forgiveness for monies contributed to Israel, which is rather unusual? We could stop that.
Secretary Rusk: I believe contributions to the UJA [United Jewish Appeal] are tax exempt, yes.
The Chairman, J. William Fulbright of Arkansas: That is right. The only country. Do you think you have the votes in the Senate to revoke that?
Senator Clifford Case of New Jersey: Are you in favor yourself?
Senator Hickenlooper: I think we ought to treat all nations alike.
Senator Case: That is correct. But are you in favor of it?
Senator Hickenlooper: As long as we do not give it to other nations, I do not -
The Chairman: The trouble is they think they have control of the Senate and they can do as they please.
Senator Stuart Symington of Missouri: What was that?
The Chairman: I said they know they have control of the Senate politically, and therefore whatever the Secretary tells them, they can laugh at him. They say, "Yes, but you don't control the Senate."

Media Link
http://www.natallnews.com/story.php?id=4746