View Poll Results: What is your view on the best system in a multiethnic state?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • A model where one culture and language is dominant (example: USA)

3 14.29%
  • A model where all cultures and languages are equally protected and promoted (example: Switzerland)

4 19.05%
  • Another model than the above (I explain)

5 23.81%
  • All models hinder nationalism in my view

9 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your View on Multiethnic States

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

Your View on Multiethnic States

Here a theme on multiethnic states of the present and past, like Switzerland, Belgium, the Austrian Empire, maybe the USSR and of course the New World states. What is your view on the best system in these states:
    a. a model where one culture and language is dominant (like English in the USA)
    b. a model where all cultures and languages are equally protected and promoted (like Switzerland, with four official languages)?
    In my view the latter is better.
    Are multiethnic states a hindrance to nationalism? In my view yes, especially if the model is like a.

Last Online
    Friday, August 10th, 2012 @ 12:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Saving our Folk!
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I believe in a Folkish Heathen way, may it be small now but we will see in the future.

It seems that our Germanic ancestors spoke a common language and now it has fragmented over time to dialects along with their ancient culture, I dont see a big problem with (right now) diffrent dialects and subculture of the Germanic Folk as long as they treat each other as kin / brothers (like that ever has happened). But I truely think a common Germanic tongue like Islensk/Old Norse is better for the Folk to be one.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2020 @ 08:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Multi-ethnic states, especially those with sizeable numbers to each groups, do not generally work: The Roman Empire eventually crumbled, the Austrian Empire eventually crumbled, Belgium is on its best way to crumbling, this could also be true of the United Kingdom in the near enough future.

I'm not talking about small, historicall grown and readily assimilable minorities such as the Ladiners in South Tyrol, the Romantsch in Switzerland or the Sorbs in the Lausitz. They're not a demographic threat, and with their scattered population pattern are bound to seek assimiliation into the German population, or to at least identify with Germany whilst keeping some of their ancestral traditions alive.

I'm talking about cases like Belgium - this can, in the long run, not work. One group will be the leading group, and once tougher times strike, the other will emancipate itself, this is bound to create hassle, and is thus not favourable.

The only reason why Switzerland works is because of its largely federal structure. Some cantons are bilingual, but most cantons are monolingual, and with the cantons enjoying reasonably large autonomy, there is no real hindrance between the different ethnicities.

Thus, if a Pan-Germanic Empire would come to fruition, it would need to be Federation to allow Germans, Dutch/Flemish, English, Scots, Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, Icelanders etc. to keep their characteristic traditions and mentality ... as even though we're all closely related, it would still to some extent be a multi-ethnic state. And as the example Switzerland shows, multi-ethnic states can usually only work if they are so federal that the respective ethnic groups are not an obstacle to each other in their goal for self-preservation.

Whether multi-ethnic states are in their theoretical essence a hindrance to Nationalism is a tough and complex question, and again it would depend on the type: If it is a centralised multi-ethnic state, then it cannot work towards the goal of Nationalism for both groups at the same time, if it is a federated multi-ethnic state then it depends entirely on how the ethnic groups get along in questions concerning the "big picture" whilst being left to their own in regional questions pertaining to their ethnic group alone.

What is however a fact is that the multi-ethnic states we know at present and in the recent past are, perhaps with the notable exception of Switzerland, doomed to fail, much like we've seen the CSSR and USSR fail fairly recently. So if the concept is at all possible, then it is so highly impracticable that it cannot be the ultimate goal for the strict ethnic Nationalist, and would have to be adapted to a federated option for the strict meta-ethnic Nationalist.

What the concept is in any instance, even in its federated and meta-ethnic version, is clearly a nuisance though, irrespective of. As more often than not, a Multi-Ethnic state is a lot like tinder waiting to catch flame. Loose confederations or alliances between culturally and historically connected/related nations is thus perhaps a somewhat more favourable option than a "United States of Europe".
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, November 22nd, 2019 @ 05:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    student
    Politics
    Conservative/Libertarian
    Religion
    Mormon/Noahide/Eastern thoughts
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I want to split multiethnic states so that every ethnic groups and cultures can have their own country with their own language, culture etc.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    631 Posts
    I don't think multiple cultures and languages can coexist equally, despite the PC claims of multiculturalists. A language will inevitably dominate over others for two reasons: numerical and pragmatic. This happens even in online communities such as this one or Thiazi: a language dominates while others are used only sporadically. People try to communicate their point to as many as possible, and thus they will resort to a language the majority speaks and understands.

I don't believe in multiethnic and multicultural states. I believe in monoculturalism. I'm opposed to the presence of integrated immigrants no matter how well they speak my language, because of racial incompatibility.

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Multiethnic states are often artificial and don´t follow tribal lines. Bargaining of monarchs, conquerors or other (from their own people) alienated governments are responsible for such states over history.

I think the best solution is to dissolve these states completely and add the several ethnic groups to their kindred population if available.
    For instance, I would dissolve Belgium and add the Flemish part to the Netherlands, the Wallonian part to France and the small German part (Eupen - St. Vith) to Germany.

If a superordinate kindred population isn´t existing I´d prefer a full sovereignity of these individual ethnic groups.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Monday, October 24th, 2016 @ 07:43 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Ancestry
    german, austro-hungarian
    Subrace
    pred. Nordid
    Country
    Austrian Empire Austrian Empire
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Family
    Searching for nordic girl
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Politics
    Preservationist
    Religion
    Theist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My country was really multiethnic, and that's happened:

So, I don't believe in multiethnic states
    Geitarborg í Árhnjárlandi | Kämpft gegen die Einwanderung! | Aufnordung

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 21st, 2016 @ 07:34 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Deutsch
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethnic Neo-Tribalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    A people are best unified ny their history, and culture. Perhaps an extremely small number of foreigners would be workable, but to split a state between mutliple ethinicities in large degrees... well, I can only see trouble.
    "So, yes, we are better than others. Our worldviews are better than those of others. This does not need to be universally true, it is enough when it is true for us." - velvet

"Our blood unity is of infinitely more worth than religious particularities;" - Chlodovech

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2020 @ 08:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbaon View Post
    BTW, whoever drew this map should also be hung, drawn and quartered. That Ladiners are counted as "Italians" is actually quite atrocious. OK, so they're not Germans but a linguistic group of themselves --- but if asked, if they had to give up their identity, 99.9% of them would rather see themselves culturally on par with the German group than the Italian group, when it came to a question they were also always more happy to side with the Germans than the Italians.

The Ladin language merely being a dialect of Italian is propaganda by the same fanatics that campaigned for a long time for an inclusion of the economically strong South Tyrol into Italy and eventually succeeded by lying to the victors about the German/Italian language barrier allegedly being at the main Alpine watersheath. I.e. Tolomei and his minions.

Just as an aside detail.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, February 24th, 2017 @ 05:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    English/German/Irish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Thus, if a Pan-Germanic Empire would come to fruition, it would need to be Federation to allow Germans, Dutch/Flemish, English, Scots, Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, Icelanders etc. to keep their characteristic traditions and mentality ... as even though we're all closely related, it would still to some extent be a multi-ethnic state. And as the example Switzerland shows, multi-ethnic states can usually only work if they are so federal that the respective ethnic groups are not an obstacle to each other in their goal for self-preservation.
    To me this seems like the most sound idea possible. From a medical standpoint, if each of these ethnic groups isolated themselves from one another, after a number of generations have passed you run the risk of promoting genetic abnormalities. This is evident in the number of genetic problems faced by the ashkenazi jews, such as tay-sachs, or even the greeks, who suffer from thalassemias. However, should people be allowed to travel outside of their region in order to obtain a mate, then such a problem would largely be avoided. The only problem you would really encounter then would be how the offspring should identify themselves in regards to ethnic identity. Obviously regarding oneself as a mixed ethnicity would more than likely be problematic, but then you run into the problem of whether the offspring should identify with their paternal or maternal lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast