@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardisten View Post
    Is that the best you people can do. I'm too lazy to cut-and-paste an "ß" and use the accepted substitute of "ss" and you make it out to be an indication of my "lock of culture"?
    You persist in your ignorance. "ss" can't be used instead of "ß" in all cases. You can say "Schloss", "bisschen", "muss", but not "Ostpreussisch", it's simply incorrect!

Are you? Up a little late, aren't you? Whatever the case, so what--you were born in the GDR.
    Prussians existed in the GDR.

The Nazis eventually got support in Prussia because his association with the conservatives and the issue of restoring lost territories. But the Nazi movement originated in Catholic southern German and Austria. Go find the election results for earlier elections.
    Where it originated is besides the point, you said Prussians had an issue with NS. Even in the 1920s, it's not true. After the NSDAP expanded beyond the South, the strongest areas of support were the Prussian/Protestant ones, East Prussa included.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 12:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

German Culture?

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Gardisten, at first you´ve presented only a...different...point of view on the issue, but now you begin to troll and to ridicule rational arguments. It´s just laughable to deny people like Todesengel the status of being "real Germans" only because they were born in the GDR. Every German has to shake the head when reading comments like that. Are you even able to speak the German language? I´ve the increasing personal view that you´re a "Prussian" imposter only.

We won´t allow further trolling and ridiculing comments, like claiming that full-blood Germans like Todesengel or Bärin aren´t "Germans". It´s anti-German and, thus, anti-Germanic and against our rules.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I'm too lazy to cut-and-paste an "ß" and use the accepted substitute of "ss" and you make it out to be an indication of my "lock of culture"?
    The correct substitute is "sz", not "ss". I.e. Preuszen is correct.
    And writing wrong German, because of laziness is indeed highly anti-German, now you know better, it should be expected to use the correct form.
    High German is the last non-degenerated Germanic language, we as Germanic preservationists must keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    You can say "Schloss", "bisschen", "muss"...
    You can do that if you want to use anti-German orthography.

But the Nazi movement originated in Catholic southern German and Austria.
    Alfred Rosenberg, a key figure in NS ideology, was from a German family in Tallinn. Not to mention Max Erwin von Scheubner-Richter (East-Prussia), Erich Ludendorff (Prussia, whom later indeed had disputes with Hitler because of his pragmatic approach towards the Catholic Church) etc.pp.
    To confine NS to a mere southern German movement is false on all accounts.

Go find the election results for earlier elections.
    There were only two elections before the July 1932 election, and only one (September 1930) had a notable outcome for the NSDAP.
    I couldn't find a statistic regarding the areas of success, if you have one, please share.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Gardisten, at first you´ve presented only a...different...point of view on the issue, but now you begin to troll and to ridicule rational arguments. It´s just laughable to deny people like Todesengel the status of being "real Germans" only because they were born in the GDR. Every German has to shake the head when reading comments like that. Are you even able to speak the German language? I´ve the increasing personal view that you´re a "Prussian" imposter only.

We won´t allow further trolling and ridiculing comments, like claiming that full-blood Germans like Todesengel or Bärin aren´t "Germans". It´s anti-German and, thus, anti-Germanic and against our rules.
    a) No, I'm not a "Prussian imposter"--both of my parents were born in Prussia. But to be quite frank I don't see why I have to justify my heritage.

b) The GDR was part of the Soviet Union when she was born, and had been for about 35 years before that. She claims that being born German in a foreign country doesn't make one German, and in my opinion Communist GDR was a foreign country.

c) I'm making claims that "full-blooded Germans... aren't Germans"--that the accusation that was made against me. I'm not being anti-German, rather have issues with specific member's narrow-minded attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    The correct substitute is "sz", not "ss". I.e. Preuszen is correct.
    And writing wrong German, because of laziness is indeed highly anti-German, now you know better, it should be expected to use the correct form.
    You're kidding, right? Anti-German? My mom taught me to use "sz" as a substitute, but was told by my German-born professor that it was antiquated. I've been using "ss" for years in place of a eszet and it's never been an issue.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    She claims that being born German in a foreign country doesn't make one German, and in my opinion Communist GDR was a foreign country.
    I didn't say that, I said I recognize ethnic Germans (Volksdeutsche), who are born and living outside Germany, as long as they keep their German heritage. I said it's a matter of mindset. And of course if you don't live in Germany you can't be properly familiar with its current problems, but that is an entirely different matter.

You're kidding, right? Anti-German? My mom taught me to use "sz" as a substitute, but was told by my German-born professor that it was antiquated. I've been using "ss" for years in place of a eszet and it's never been an issue.
    But you can't always use "ss" instead of "ß". According to the spelling reform, you can use it in "Schloss", but still not in "Preußen". The spelling reform is anti-German anyway as Jäger said, but here, familiarize yourself:
    http://userweb.port.ac.uk/~joyce1/ab.../umlautsz.html

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    "sz" is the correct substitute for "ß", a few years ago (1996) a (anti-German) spelling reform was introduced, which replaced the use of "ß" in favor for "ss" in some words. Yet, where ever the "ß" is still to be found (despite the reform), "sz" is still the correct replacement.

I would advice to ditch the reform altogether, the best thing would be to use schoolbooks from before 1996, when learning the German language.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    I didn't say that, I said I recognize ethnic Germans (Volksdeutsche), who are born and living outside Germany, as long as they keep their German heritage. I said it's a matter of mindset. And of course if you don't live in Germany you can't be properly familiar with its current problems, but that is an entirely different matter.
    Well, do you really know what it's like in Canada? We were always spoken to in German, and we have always maintained contact with Germans from our German church. But we had to go to school, and function in an English-speaking society. As a kid there was much pressure to conform, and we didn't really understand what that meant at the time. But like I've said, I tried to hold on to it as best as I could given the situation, but apparently that's just not good enough for the "Reichsdeutsche". Although it doesn't come as a surprise, as I did get the same attitude when I was in Germany. Yeah, it's too bad every German can't live in the Fatherland, but but if you really want the German race and culture to be preserved, then you'll have to accept that fact.

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I think this discussion should continue here: http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=51797

Regarding this topic, much has been said already.

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 08:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Bear with me for a moment here:

It's around midnight in the dead of winter, and it's freezing cold outside with heavy snowfall. You are trying to walk home under these severe conditions and you come to an intersection. There are no cars on the street and the sidewalks are totally deserted. Now I ask the question, do you stand huddled up and shivering on the street corner and wait for the "walk" sign to flash, or do you not bother waiting and just cross the street because it's totally safe to do it regardless of the signal on the "walk" sign?

I'd say almost all Americans would just bolt across the street and not think twice about it. However, many Germans will stand there in the snow and freezing temperatures and wait for the walk signal.

This is not a hard and fast rule of course, it's just more of a generalization in some of the differences between our cultural mindsets that are not readily noticeable on the surface.

The average German cities look a lot like American ones, we listen to basically the same music, see the same TV shows and movies, and are assaulted by the similar propaganda. But nevertheless, there are still some differences outside of our languages (or sausages or beer), which lie in our cultural attitudes, practices, and characters. The differences in our senses of humor is one example. There are some things that Germans will think are hilarious that Americans won't find funny, and vice-versa. Germans are also far more formal in many social situations than Americans.

The cultural character and attitude of the area you spend your formative years in will stay with you and shape your thinking for the rest of your life. Hence someone raised in America can never really in a true sense become a German, or vice-versa.

That's not to say that an American of German blood can't assimilate for the most part into German society, it's just that it will take some effort on his part and he'll probably never be able to rid himself entirely of the American worldview in which he was raised. If he was married to a German woman and his kids were raised in German society, however, I think his children would end up to be basically normal Germans. So on a small scale I don't think there's much harm in colonials returning to their homelands.

Hopefully I'm making sense. A unique aspect of American culture is that it can easily relatively large numbers of other white cultures, whereas the same can't be said for Swedish, German, Dutch, etc. If a bunch of Americans or Canadians started migrating en mass to these nations, they would further dilute the traditional culture of them even if they shared the same blood. And I can understand why Europeans want to preserve what is left of their distinct and ancient cultures.

I'm proud of who I am and my heritage, and I certainly don't think that Europeans are any better than colonials. I think a small number of Europeans are a bit arrogant towards colonials for our often mixed ancestry (even if our mixture is often entirely of northern European stock). By the same token, however, I think it is a bit arrogant of us to assume they should just welcome us to move into their countries with candy and flowers. They have a right to be selective in allowing us to move into their nations, or to prohibit us from coming in altogether. We lost our birthrights to those lands when we left. It's up to them to decide what's best for their nations, just like it is with us.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast