Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    huh - that is too bad.
    He'll probably know that. So I can't use the option to just conceal the fact they emigrated to other countries. I have to come up with something else.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stimme View Post
    He'll probably know that. So I can't use the option to just conceal the fact they emigrated to other countries. I have to come up with something else.
    I don't quite follow. If you follow the approach Gardisten suggested to build your argument, it's an irrelevant point, because it has little to do with whether the Huguenots moved to Prussia by choice or by having no alternative.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 31st, 2011 @ 06:22 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Yeah, I guess you're right.

Woah! Thanks, Gardisten! That is a great way to formulate the Prussian's importance. The French might have influenced our military and arts but without the peasants as foundation they would have been unable to contribute anything. The Huguenots weren't welcome in any other country. So without the old Fritz's invitation and the peasant's help they would have simply died out.
    The argument that they had died out without Pruisssia's help is invalid (so I leave that part out) but this'll still be enough to convince him.

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    The proof of that claim is that he is right. It's a fact Prussia was a meaningless peasant state before the Huguenot's arrival.
    Correlation is never proof for causation. Keep that in mind for any future analysis.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Friday, June 26th, 2020 @ 08:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Alemanni-Suebi/Irish
    Subrace
    Dalophælid-Nordid
    State
    Hessen-Darmstadt Hessen-Darmstadt
    Hagestolz
    Politics
    reactionary ancap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts
    Would you clarify what you mean by FRG propaganda? I'm not familiar with that term.
    But you should be -> BRD/FRG/RFA
    The proof of that claim is that he is right. It's a fact Prussia was a meaningless peasant state before the Huguenot's arrival.
    No, Prussia back the already was a major power in Germany and Europe.
    http://www.martinschlu.de/kulturgeschichte/neunzehntes/preussen/1648.htm
    I do not deny the Huguenots came to the right place in the right time. They used their chance.
    Yes. Ever met descendants of Huguenot immigrants anyway?
    The problem to me is that the Prussians didn't. Either they weren't interested in Prussia's rise or they weren't able to contribute anything to that rise.
    So you have never heard of Elector Frederick William of Brandenburg, "the Great Elector", for example?
    It´s about time: http://www.preussen.de/de/geschichte/1640_kurfuerst_friedrich_wilhelm.html

This means the French marked the beginning of Prussia's culture and, thus, the German culture which I find hard to believe.
    The German Princes provided the frame conditions, so the Huguenots could thrive.
    When men cease to fight — they cease to be — Men.
    “Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.” Brendan Behan

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptrgangr View Post
    But you should be -> BRD/FRG/RFA
    Ah, federal republic Germany. Of course - thanks!

Yes, I did. My former German Teacher was one of them. Yesterday it turned out my ex-girlfriend is of Hugunot descent. And there is this politics classmate of mine who is a descendant, as well. All three of them are very intelligent, talented in all kinds of ways (like playing an instrument, speaking an impressively high number of languages or solving mathematical problems) and keen to develop by learning as many new things as possible. If they are representative for the Huguentos it doesn't surprise me at all they were responsible for Prussia's rise.

Last Online
    Friday, December 28th, 2018 @ 07:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I've often heard about the great things Huguenots did for England and South Africa, and now they made Germany too, it appears they were some kind of super race maybe instead of an 'aryan theory' there should have been a 'Huguenot Theory'

or perhaps the story is being exaggerated by the multiculturals however, Francis Galton for eg. (the 'inventor of Eugenics') frequently cited Huguenots as making a substantial contribution and wrote things like 'on many occasions England had benefitted from immigrants' (such as Huguenots etc ). So, I don't doubt there is some truth, but to say they made here or anywhere 'great' all by themselves is surely absurd.
    Like Jäger mentioned, you should ask for specific examples of Huguenot acts making Prussia great (lets see if he has any )

I would imagine they were completely absorbed in England/Germany, but according to wiki the following afrikaans names are of Huguenot origin:

There are many families, today mostly Afrikaans-speaking, whose surnames bear witness to their French Huguenot ancestry. Examples of these include: Blignaut, de Klerk (Le Clercq), de Villiers, du Plessis, Du Preez (Des Pres), du Toit, Franck, Fouche, Fourie (Fleurit), Gervais, Giliomee (Guilliaume), Hugo, Jordaan (Jurdan), Joubert, Labuschagne (la Buscagne), le Roux, Lombard, Malan, Malherbe, Marais, Nel (Nell), Nortje (Nortier), Pienaar, Rossouw Rousseau, Taljard (Taillard), TerBlanche, Theron, Viljoen (Villon) and Visagie (Visage)
    that seems like a very large proportion to me (thinking of 'famous SAers' a lot of the ones I can think of seem to have those surnames). Can any SAers comment on that? Do Afrikaaners think of themselves as having siginficant Huguenot ancestry (which that list would seem to suggest)?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renwein View Post
    Can any SAers comment on that? Do Afrikaaners think of themselves as having siginficant Huguenot ancestry (which that list would seem to suggest)?
    Yes, and it's no secret. Here's a thread: Huguenot Ancestry in Afrikaners.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Ah, federal republic Germany. Of course - thanks!

Yes, I did. My former German Teacher was one of them. Yesterday it turned out my ex-girlfriend is of Hugunot descent. And there is this politics classmate of mine who is a descendant, as well. All three of them are very intelligent, talented in all kinds of ways (like playing an instrument, speaking an impressively high number of languages or solving mathematical problems) and keen to develop by learning as many new things as possible. If they are representative for the Huguentos it doesn't surprise me at all they were responsible for Prussia's rise.
    That's stretching it a bit. You're drawing conclusions from a very limited sample. I'm sure if you hang out in some seedy parts of town you'll eventually come across a few people with Huguenot blood in them that aren't all that bright.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardisten View Post
    That's stretching it a bit. You're drawing conclusions from a very limited sample.
    Actually I haven't thought of my Huguenot acquaintances before you asked me to do so. They did not cross my mind while I was thinking about the Huguenot's Immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardisten View Post
    I'm sure if you hang out in some seedy parts of town you'll eventually come across a few people with Huguenot blood in them that aren't all that bright.
    You know what? That isn't a bad idea. I could go to the French Quarter of Berlin. My summer holidays just started so that I have plenty of time. But I wouldn't like to ask the people whether they have Huguenot ancestors, though. Do you happen to know how to tell if someone is a Huguenot?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast