Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist ┴satruars: Can Heathenry and Atheism Be Reconciled?

Atheist ┴satruars: Can Heathenry and Atheism Be Reconciled?

Blutw÷lfin's view on the question of whether atheism and ┴satru could be reconcilable:

Quote Originally Posted by Blutw÷lfin

This is absolutely weird: As an Atheist you show disbelief in the existence of a God/of several Gods, you even deny them! As an ┴satruar you believe in Norse faith - and so in its Gods. This CAN'T go hand in hand. Either you are an Atheist or an ┴satruar, but both at the same time doesn't work.

Maybe you are interested in Norse Mythology, but don't believe in the Gods, that is possible, but then, you're not an ┴satruar but just a fan for ancient Germanic mythology.
    What are your views on this?

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 @ 08:27 PM
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Having a longtime companion
    Occupation
    X-Rays & Uranium
    Religion
    I Exist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    From dictionary.com

Atheist: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Either you're an atheist or you're a believer, and never the twain shall meet. On the other hand, if you're an agnostic there can be some form of middle ground.

Agnostic:
    1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
    2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
    2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

Funding Member
    äFriend of Germanicsö
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Maybe "atheist Asatruars" don┤t believe in gods as supernatural beings but as man-made ideals that should be honored and followed?
    Tolerance is a proof of distrust in one's own ideals. Friedrich Nietzsche

Last Online
    Monday, January 23rd, 2006 @ 02:16 AM
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus
    From dictionary.com

Atheist: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Either you're an atheist or you're a believer, and never the twain shall meet. On the other hand, if you're an agnostic there can be some form of middle ground.

Agnostic:
    1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
    2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
    2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.
    Fair enough. Strictly by definition I suppose I am an atheist. I do not believe in a tribal desert god, nor do I believe in floating vikings in the sky. I suppose I am a "fan" of Nordic mythology because I can relate it to my ancestors.

I believe there is much to learn about ┴satru (our moral values, traditions, etc.) but I do not believe that the gods are actual living beings.

P.S. - Zyklop summed it up nicely.

Wei▀er Wolf

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 @ 07:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyklop
    Maybe "atheist Asatruars" don┤t believe in gods as supernatural beings but as man-made ideals that should be honored and followed?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutw÷lfin

This is absolutely weird: As an Atheist you show disbelief in the existence of a God/of several Gods, you even deny them! As an ┴satruar you believe in Norse faith - and so in its Gods. This CAN'T go hand in hand. Either you are an Atheist or an ┴satruar, but both at the same time doesn't work.

Maybe you are interested in Norse Mythology, but don't believe in the Gods, that is possible, but then, you're not an ┴satruar but just a fan for ancient Germanic mythology.
    I guess at face value I would have to agree with your assessment - an ┴satruar, in its strictest sense, is essentially a person who fully believes in the Norse gods of old.

For myself, I think it is not that simple. Having explored religions for many years, I have come to realise that the reality of religion is quite often within oneself, and in the case of ancient folk religions - could even be explained through genetic inheritance. I believe that folk have evolved to include religion in their beings; their minds. Thus a person of Germanic ancestry could in theory have very real experiences with the gods of old that, for a non-Germanic, would be impossible to see. These experiences are in the mind, and are effected through the brain. That does not mean that the gods actually exist.

This is my view - I believe that Germanic people can have real spiritual experiences and realities with the gods of old, even though in reality these gods do not exist. They are part of our beings and innermost, deepest guidance. It is part of our overall inheritance. They are part of us.

Of course, this is my personal view and I accept that many people would disagree with me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    äFriend of Germanicsö
    Last Online
    Friday, June 5th, 2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skňne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyklop
    I think one shouldn't misuse the term ┴satruar. ┴satru means "the faith in the Gods (Ăsir)". So there can't be the term "atheistic ┴satruar". Maybe you are an atheistic Heathen, but never an ┴satruar. It's an oxymoron you are creating here. Like "hot snow".
    LÝk b÷rn leika best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blutw÷lfin For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Friday, February 2nd, 2007 @ 03:05 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Currently dating
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I know a few of my country men who would classify them selves in this manner (although they use the term Heathen), basically what the term is used for is a person who beliefs in the enormous amount of knowledge ┴satr˙ and ═slendinga s÷gur (the sagas) hold and in the natural intent of the religion, they however deny the existence of the Ăsir in the physical form and belief they are the creation of men in order to guide people to wisdom and natural understanding.

A term I have heard used many times before so I see no reason why Wei▀er Wolf cannot consider him an atheistic heathen

a.k.a. Slň ring om Norge
    äFriend of Germanicsö
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    State
    Arkansas Arkansas
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    On the other hand, we have various gnostic paths. Some gnostic groups has priests, bishops and is to some degree an organizational copy of the church.

Some gnostics (old greek;gnosis/ knowledge)has a very personal path, and do not organize, as like me. No priests, gurus, saviors or prohets or other middlemen nescessary. Direct connnection is the thing. The gnostics referers often to a personal experience of God, which is incommunicable. Long before reaching those spiritual realms, unexplainable paradoxes has appeared.
    Like for example, how can there be so many omnipresent gods, without overcrowding the universe?..He-he...
    To me, Odin,Thor and Frey are spectres of the same, Odin distinctively referering to Mercurial, Martial, and Saturnal princips, while Thor, or Athor to me refereres to Jupiter and Uranus. After raising the Odinic energies, I found myself quite unbalanced and a danger to myself and others, I mostly stick to Thor in times of peace and building. It is a strange paradox that it is possible to say prayers to both God and Thor?
    But take a look at the name Thor, or Athor, ROTA, the wheel, which is the universe, and the hammer both for creation and destruction. ROTA is also the principe of Jupiter, Zevs, Amon-Ra and Brahman. J,Z and B also carries with them the thunderbolt, an equivalent to the hammer. Finally, one may also define these as ideas happending in the brain, to some degree as defined by C.J.Jungs theory upon archetypes. This explains the option to consider both ideas at the same time, with out conflicts. The conflict appears when one tries to understand what is not understandable, or tries to explain the unexplainable. The nuthouse are full of those that cant let that go.
    This is of course my very subjective view, and is not an attempt to push "truths" at anyone,. But I could not resist the temptation to reply...
    Thore Hund

Funding Member
    äFriend of Germanicsö
    Last Online
    Friday, June 5th, 2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skňne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundi
    A term I have heard used many times before so I see no reason why Wei▀er Wolf cannot consider him a atheistic heathen
    Atheistic heathen is fine as I said above, but atheistic ┴satruar is an oxymoron and no way of wording I can support. There really is a difference between the terms "┴satru" and "Heatenry".
    LÝk b÷rn leika best.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast