View Poll Results: Would you eat taboo food?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already do!

7 17.07%
  • Only if I had no other choice (my survival depended on it).

13 31.71%
  • I'd consider it.

5 12.20%
  • No, it's disgusting!

13 31.71%
  • I've no idea yet.

3 7.32%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Taboo Food

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago @ 06:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Celtic
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Vagrant
    Politics
    Nativism/Nationalism
    Religion
    Summum bonum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    18 year old Pia Olden became famous over night when she ate her past horse

Attachment 115001

- I work as a cook out on the sea and luckily have bad reception. In that way I'm living a bit isolated, says Pia Olden (18) from Bjugn in Trųndelag.

Olden explains that she's been forced to turn off her mobile phone since monday because she didn't have the time for all the hate-messages. The messages came after she posted a picture of her past horse, Drifting Speed, as a meal on Facebook last week, and Norwegian media wrote about her.

Attachment 115002

- People tell me to go hang myself, and that I should lose the right to have animals and children, says the 18 year old who've never before been a "celebrity".

Olden is unsure about how this happened, but suddenly the case escalated to international media like Daily Mail and New York Post.

- It turned out the be an unintended PR-stunt, she says.

No regrets
    Despite the death-threats from all over the World, she doesn't regret eating her horse, who had to be put down because of an incurable injury.

- In today's society, there is a lot of talk about living sustainably and making use of the resources, Olden says.

She explains that she tries to do just that - and even still it is something wrong in some people's eyes.

- But I have no regrets, says Olden.

- Why do you believe people react like this?

- It is a controversial thing to do. I think it's very taboo to eat one's own horse. But on Iceland, for example, it is completely normal to eat one's horses, except that one exchange one's own horse with somebody else's, says Olden.

Translated from Norwegian article: https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/..._content=row-2
    Death threats for that are over the top crazy but that's still messed up - if I lived in a small town and I knew someone did this, I would give them a very wide birth basically forever. You don't eat things you have had a relationship with unless you're starving, it's like it was just fodder to her and not her partner in competitions. To me, this is a serious behavioral read flag, like what the hell else is this person capable of if they're willing to trangress that boundary?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coillearnach For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Hours Ago @ 04:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coillearnach View Post
    Death threats for that are over the top crazy but that's still messed up - if I lived in a small town and I knew someone did this, I would give them a very wide birth basically forever. You don't eat things you have had a relationship with unless you're starving, it's like it was just fodder to her and not her partner in competitions. To me, this is a serious behavioral read flag, like what the hell else is this person capable of if they're willing to trangress that boundary?
    I suppose it depends on nature of the relationship. If one is settled on the idea that the animal is going to be food once it dies, already in the establishing phase of the relationship, I don't think there's anything objectionable about eaten it/her/him oneself. But then again, the relationship would be colored by this fact from beginning to end, anyway, and not really comparable to the relationship the average person has to his or her dog or cat, for instance.

I've eaten pigs who've been raised on a farm I worked at. Some times feeding them and cuddling them, and even sleeping together with them once. I was always aware of their destiny, though, that they would ultimately be turned into sausages in the not-so-distant future. The fact that they were treated with kindness and sympathy during their lifetime, didn't make eating them feel any more 'messed up' than it would have felt if they were merely treated as a piece of meat during life as well as in death. In fact, it felt much more comfortable, knowing that they had led a great life. In contrast to the mass-produced meat from animals kept under horrendous conditions in factory farms.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts
    My dad was raised on his family farm that was located in Southern Ohio. He told me he and his three brothers had to contend with their emotional attachment to the livestock they raised for eventual slaughter.

However, he informed me that horses and mules were properly respected solely as beasts of burden, and never used for food by normal folk that he knew of.

Feelings are a necessary part of life. But we have to learn to temper them with logic.

As for the context of this topic, the girl who ate her horse attained the wrong kind of noteriety as far as I'm concerned. I think she is a mentally deranged attention seeker(Another version of Greta Thunberg, and the feminist dweebs who recomend physically emasculating men.) who needs to be institutionalized before she can move on to devouring human flesh for even more publicity.
    Last edited by Juthunge; Sunday, October 13th, 2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Rule 4.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    As for the context of this topic, the girl who ate her horse attained the wrong kind of noteriety as far as I'm concerned. I think she is a mentally deranged attention seeker (Another version of Greta Thunberg, and the feminist dweebs who recomend physically emasculating men.) who needs to be institutionalized before she can move on to devouring human flesh for even more publicity.
    Are you for real? She posted a picture of it on her Facebook... Hardly like she was shoving it in anybody's face.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Munchkin
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/Irish/French
    Ancestry
    England/Ireland/France
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gemini
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Deli Shift Leader/Manager
    Politics
    Centrist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts
    Eating horses, dogs, cats, and monkeys is just plain disgusting.
    Not all in life is at it appears to be.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LillyCaterina For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 07:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Low German & French
    Country
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Normally, I stay away from eating anything too "taboo", I guess mostly due to habit and culture, not sure what I would do in a survival situation though. I've read of a case of cannibalism that resulted from a plain crash in the Andes. During such times people might resort to extreme measures.

Regarding the Norwegian teenager who ate her horse, far as I've read, the horse had to be put down due to illness, so it was not a clear cut case of her intending to use the horse for food from the very beginning. Not that this would make it necessarily taboo, a lot of children who grow up on farms bond with farm animals which are grown specifically for that purpose. I remember that I myself bonded with a hen and didn't want to eat any fried chicken or chicken soup afterwards. On the other hand, if it had died by natural causes, maybe I'd have felt different. Perhaps another way of seeing it is that she wanted to honor her animal friend by making use of its meat and not letting it go to waste/rot in the ground. Maybe she feels like the horse is now "part of her". Strangely enough, this is how some cannibals motivated their actions from an emotional/spiritual angle. It was not uncommon for people to want to preserve or carry a part of their dead loved ones with them. Bracelets and jewelry made out of hair used to be common, nowadays a more extravagant version would be turning the ashes into a diamond. Some people would taxidermy their best animal friends or turn their fur or hide into clothing.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Idis For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,373 Posts
    I could never eat animal to which I have/share feelings/emotional connection.

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    13 Hours Ago @ 08:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post

- People tell me to go hang myself, and that I should lose the right to have animals and children, says the 18 year old who've never before been a "celebrity".
    People are increasingly losing any sense of proportionality when it comes to animals. While it's certainly a little weird to eat one's "pet" (as far as a horse is a pet) and posting it on facebook (which I find more weird than to eat it), how does this justify wishing death upon some girl? It's the same when it comes to whaling in the Faeroe islands. People get all worked up and then come up with "solutions" like "why don't they just buy their (factory farm) meat in the supermarket like everyone else? Monsters!".
    It's not even like she killed it for that purpose but let it be puth to death because it was ill.

If most of these people were full-blown vegans, it wouldn't be so hypocritical at least. But mostly they themselves, as Thor fittingly said buy "mass-produced meat from animals kept under horrendous conditions in factory farms". What this girl did was at least sustainable.

People are also simply becoming totally disassociated from where their meat comes from. For my grandparents generation it was still totally normal to slaughter livestock themselves, your November's pet bunny became your Christmas roast. It's fairly irrelevant that it's a horse, there is no logical reason that it should be any different from eating any other animal, apart from it being an inherited taboo in some countries (in Germany, for example, this used to be totally normal up to the 20th century and still is no taboo, though uncommon).

Could you please translate what she said here, Thor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    As for the context of this topic, the girl who ate her horse attained the wrong kind of noteriety as far as I'm concerned. I think she is a mentally deranged attention seeker(Another version of Greta Thunberg, and the feminist dweebs who recomend physically emasculating men.) who needs to be institutionalized before she can move on to devouring human flesh for even more publicity.
    First you write: "Feelings are a necessary part of life. But we have to learn to temper them with logic." but then: "before she can move on to devouring human flesh for even more publicity."
    What?
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Juthunge For This Useful Post:

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Horse meat tastes okay, actually.

I wouldn't buy any but I once ate some (by mistake) when in France.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Could you please translate what she said here, Thor?

"Friday's dinner, the proper way, at Olden tonight. We received important visitors, so then the best meat we had to offer was served. Outer and inner filets of my own Drifting Speed, which we unfortunately had to slaughter in 2018, could finally be dug out from the freezer. And what a tender and tasty meat!

A little bit weird to eat one's own horse, but my cook's heart said that I had to do it. "If I'm going to eat horse meat, it has to be my own" I said jokingly, and when Drifting was put down, we placed a return order on her meat. I was with her till "the final end" on the slaughterhouse, knowing that she lived a good life, free from medicines/drugs and junk. The meat was not eaten with a bad conscience, to put it that way.

Misunderstand me correctly - I loved that horse, even though I made a meal with her meat."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast